75052 - Mos Eisley Cantina

glenbart

I feel this set is a ripoff at full price...the structure is so small that you can't even fit the Bith in their performing area. This is clearly just an overpriced maxifig/minifig sale with a small, lame structure thrown in.

Hard to argue. That said, I just bought and built this, having picked one up from the recent Walmart sale at $50 (-ish). And at that price, I kinda like it. Yes, I wish there was more to the structure, but it's not terrible, and certainly (as pointed out above) worlds better than its predecessor.

Would not have been happy paying full price for it, though.

It's a overpriced even at $50. Not Jabba's Palace or Smaug overpriced but up there. The problem with these maxifig sets is that such a premium is put on them that the rest of the set suffers. And I don't believe that it costs Lego much to produce a maxifig. Smaug is probably manufactured in a Chinese factory for $5.

Edited by Mathew

It's a overpriced even at $50. Not Jabba's Palace or Smaug overpriced but up there. The problem with these maxifig sets is that such a premium is put on them that the rest of the set suffers. And I don't believe that it costs Lego much to produce a maxifig. Smaug is probably manufactured in a Chinese factory for $5.

Probably a lot less than $5

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic set. I love the playability of the Cantina itself with the multiple rooms and ability to open and close for playing. Out of curiousity, how does the Cantina look when all of the rooms are closed up and turned together? 

It does package together in a square.  The only minus is that when it is closed up the feeding trough in the back pushes out.

I picked up 10 at the $50 price to part out on ebay. Its a lot more work for sure but I believe that I'll be able to turn about a 25-30% profit on them, while only spending a few minutes a night sorting them out. Worst case scenario I'm holding a bunch of the buildings & landspeedors. The figures + maxifig seem to sell quite easily.

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide if I should buy at least one of these at 20% off. Normally I need a bigger discount to entice me but this set seems reasonably popular and inexpensive enough that it will probably sell fine without further discounting. I mostly want it for personal collection and figure it'll probably EOL after the Xmas stock of this set sells through.

Trying to decide if I should buy at least one of these at 20% off. Normally I need a bigger discount to entice me but this set seems reasonably popular and inexpensive enough that it will probably sell fine without further discounting. I mostly want it for personal collection and figure it'll probably EOL after the Xmas stock of this set sells through.

​I'd say 1 or 2 at that price won't harm your bottom line if you are willing to hold it until 2016.  I really think this set will do alright over the next few years.  This one and the AT-AT from the summer 2014 wave is my target to buy at discounts.  

• Like 1

Don't know about investment on this one but I love it for my personal collection. The kids are having a blast with it, the minifig selection is great and the landspeeder was an awesome bonus. Plus, now I have a dewback. I thought the price was fair, but maybe I'm just used to it with LEGO Star Wars now...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who bought these on sale from WalMart.com lately should weigh their boxes.  I bought five.  Four were two pounds, four ounces, which I believe to be the correct weight.  One was two pounds even, with clouded seals but otherwise no signs of tampering.  The crooks are improving their skills.  This set is a prime candidate for the 'take out all the figures and dewback, then reseal and return' scam, so be careful out there... 

• Like 3

Someone did that exact thing and it turned out great!

See pics here - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=555314

I thought about doing this myself, but space and money are the biggest factors. Plus I have mostly concentrated my collection toward OT ships/vehicles only.

​The money factor shouldn't be too bad because you can sell off the extra figs and landspeeder, AKA the most valuable parts of the set. But space is always an issue. :P

This is back in stock at Lego S&H, but is still out of stock at Amazon, and only in store pickup at target, and walmart.  However, the online instore pick-up discounts for this set have ended at Walmart and Target for the time being.  They were as low as 53.00 a couple weeks ago, which is close to 25% off retail.  I decided to dump more money into this at that price and buy more sets.  I'm currently sitting at 7 of these... I figure at this point, there maybe a small clearance of this set during the usual end of summer sale dumps they usually do, but we shall see.  I'm thinking this set is going to be a winner by the end of next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who bought these on sale from WalMart.com lately should weigh their boxes.  I bought five.  Four were two pounds, four ounces, which I believe to be the correct weight.  One was two pounds even, with clouded seals but otherwise no signs of tampering.  The crooks are improving their skills.  This set is a prime candidate for the 'take out all the figures and dewback, then reseal and return' scam, so be careful out there... 

Can you provide pics of the 4 seals for the 2 underweight sets?

Can you provide pics of the 4 seals for the 2 underweight sets?

​I believe this to a problem only with in store purchases..Are you suggesting that the thief's are breaking into the warehouse stealing the mini figures prior to the sets being shipped out. or walmart is shipping returned sets from stores...I have never been worried about tampered seals from online orders...

​I believe this to a problem only with in store purchases..Are you suggesting that the thief's are breaking into the warehouse stealing the mini figures prior to the sets being shipped out. or walmart is shipping returned sets from stores...I have never been worried about tampered seals from online orders...

True but you never know Regardless it shouldn't matter in this case. Tampered with seals are somewhat noticeable unless totally perfect / flawless. In order to educate fellow BP users, the pics will help (kinda like what I do in the repro / fake sticker / printed tile element thread)