75052 - Mos Eisley Cantina

glenbart

Can you provide pics of the 4 seals for the 2 underweight sets?

​Sure, if you'd asked sooner...  I returned the set, so I can't take at any pics at this point.  I am really, really meticulous about these things though.  I collect a few different things, not only Lego, and I'm accustomed to closely examining valuable items and assigning them a grade based on wear and imperfections.  These seals were perfect.  There was no stray adhesive to either side, they were perfectly transparent, and there was no debris of any kind under the tape.  I have no idea how the scammer managed this, but his or her talents are wasted on stealing minifigures.  If I had not weighed the box, I would have had absolutely no idea there was a problem.

When I returned it in person at Wal-Mart, the nice CS lady thought I was crazy.  She had never heard of anyone doing this before.  So she opened the box right then and there, and two things were noticeable immediately.  First, there was glue, looked sort of like plain Elmer's or carpenter's glue, between the two cardboard flaps of the box.  Obviously you couldn't see this until you broke the seals.  The second thing was of course that every minifigure and the dewback were missing.  All other pieces appeared to be present in their sealed bags..

This was originally a Walmart.com purchase, not in-store.  Someone had bought the set from Walmart.com, very carefully opened the box, removed the minifigures and dewback, then extremely carefully resealed it to look as good as new, before returning it to Walmart.com.  The company is clearly not in the habit of weighing returned lego sets, though they obviously should be.

I weigh every set I buy from everyone.  This is the first problem I have encountered.  So I don't think it's an epidemic.  But it is a real threat, especially for relatively small sets that are loaded with valuable figures.  I don't expect crooks to open up Tower Bridges and steal tan bricks.  I do expect them to open up Cantinas, EDB's, and similar sets in which half or more of the value is in the figures.  Anyway, I assume everyone who reads this has a postal scale accurate to the nearest 1/10 ounce or so.  Weigh everything that comes in, and you should be alright.

• Like 1

i have had this problem with a few sets. the most problems i have had were with the LOTR Warg sets and the attack at weathertop. I also had a slave1 years ago that was missing the figs. scared to think of what else i might have missing figs. there is a thread on here that talks about all this. 

most sets i bought that are missing stuff have been from either walmart or kmart. i have heard of other stories even from amazon. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw 4 of these at a WM last night on sale for $49....I very much considered but held off. Do you guys think this set is due to retire soon?

I think so. This came out over a year ago and with all the new Star Wars stuff soon to hit, I think it's entire wave will soon be gone. Hard to find it in physical stores in Toronto already.

Saw 4 of these at a WM last night on sale for $49....I very much considered but held off. Do you guys think this set is due to retire soon?

I do...I think we'll be outta room come September...And @ $49.00 I find this very attractive...

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this one as an investment.  Ticks all the boxes and I've seen it at 35% off MRSP.   Once this one goes EOL I think it will be one of the better sets in terms of returns.  Not quite UCS style but i see it being a lot better then Jabba which has actually done quite well in the UK.

With the new SW stuff coming out I feel they have to stop the production run on some sets and this would probably be under consideration.  Like many have said unlikely to get a reboot any time soon.

All this talk about people taking out the mini figures and returning the sets is putting me off a bit though - time to update my scales I think.

At 49, you can't beat the buy in.  At 69.99, i'd pass.  I suspect this eventually hits over the 100 mark as Star Wars mania goes nuts from late November into 2017 and beyond.  HOWEVER, I do think this set is vastly horded and so the competition to sell them will be a big shell game of moving prices over the next 3 years.

• Like 2

At 49, you can't beat the buy in.  At 69.99, i'd pass.  I suspect this eventually hits over the 100 mark as Star Wars mania goes nuts from late November into 2017 and beyond.  HOWEVER, I do think this set is vastly horded and so the competition to sell them will be a big shell game of moving prices over the next 3 years.

Thanks - that's one big thing I forgot to account for.  Assuming I can last out the smaller term re-sellers who are looking for an EOL quick flip i still think this one has the legs to do well.  As long as we don't wait 3 year only to have a better update.

Another under appreciated part of this set (well not by the people who are commenting here).  But the fact you can use the cantina build to create a larger one is a great feature.

Then throw in the land speeder, Dewback Maxi Fig - i actually think this sets is one of (if not the) best SW set currently on the market (for personal enjoyment, not including the UCS stuff).  I know alot would vote for the ATAT or SD but who doesn't want a bar to play with.   And that band!  Didn't they get an audition @ Jabbas in one of the SW books (long time since I read tales from Mos Eisley Cantina).

In terms of AFOL appeal I know its a play set but if you have a large enough desk this is one of those sets that you could set up as a feature.

Yes. Awesome set but it's so massively hoarded, it will take a while.  I mean there's a newbie on here that has stockpiled 150 of these. Plus, I don't think this will retire for another year or two. Luckily, I'm fine with holding my stash for a few years. 

• Like 1

Yes. Awesome set but it's so massively hoarded, it will take a while.  I mean there's a newbie on here that has stockpiled 150 of these. Plus, I don't think this will retire for another year or two. Luckily, I'm fine with holding my stash for a few years. 

444 listings on ebay right now when you type "lego 75052", and this set is not even retired or even a money maker at this point, since it's still easily scored at discount... it's going to be a LONGGGG hard road to make 10.00 off a 49.99 buy-in, after fees and taxes, I think..  Add in all the people that don't do their research and just buy buy buy..ohh boy.

Edited by fossilrock

You will make $10 quick when this retires.  I don't understand all the concern about current eBay listings and secondary prices when this is readily available at a discount nationwide.  I bet many of those eBay listings are parted out sets also.  Again this set has only been out a year and it may not even retire until fall/winter 2016 so put them away and forget about it.  Same thing I've done with Jabba's Palace, Skiff, Sail Barge, Rancor Pit, A-wing, etc.  They need some time to mature.

444 listings on ebay right now when you type "lego 75052", and this set is not even retired or even a money maker at this point, since it's still easily scored at discount... it's going to be a LONGGGG hard road to make 10.00 off a 49.99 buy-in, after fees and taxes, I think..  Add in all the people that don't do their research and just buy buy buy..ohh boy.

Can work both ways though.  Once this goes EOL you'll soon get people to pay MRSP at a minimum (I think so on this set anyway).  On the sets that have gone EOL that I want (for non investments) if i can get them at less then 125% of MRSP I'm dancing all the way to the checkout :) .  And people like me are the target "audience" for these.

If you're entry point can turn over a profit at MRSP (after fees and postage) then this has to be one to consider.  I agree that this one undoubtedly has a lot of hoarders (as you've mentioned from ebay) but a lot of those are parter-outers.  Given you have 8 mini figs, 1 maxi fig, a cantina and a land speeder its not as bad as it seems.  

Another thing that someone mentioned to me (which I need some more experience to see if I agree with) is they are often encouraged by sets that are popular (not actually heard anyone say this is a bad set yet) and go out and buy more along with the crowd.  If something is popular now then likely it will be popular post EOL so why not load up on?

I have my reservations.  As you say it it could be a longggg road given the number of sellers there are now.  Am I happy to hold... well on this one yes.  I believe in its potential and am planning on having to hold at least another 2 years to see a decent return.

+ I know enough OT fans who would love this as a gift. Worst case scenario is that I become known as the guy who doles out cantinas to everyone at xmas :)

You will make $10 quick when this retires.  I don't understand all the concern about current eBay listings and secondary prices when this is readily available at a discount nationwide.  I bet many of those eBay listings are parted out sets also.  Again this set has only been out a year and it may not even retire until fall/winter 2016 so put them away and forget about it.  Same thing I've done with Jabba's Palace, Skiff, Sail Barge, Rancor Pit, A-wing, etc.  They need some time to mature.

Word to that.  Its all about the strategy and doing whats right for your situation. Slow and steady wins the race here.  I dont think the lego bubble is going to burst any time soon (in fact I don't even think there is a bubble).  I know its been said a few too many times (and people might be getting ahead of themselves) but with the new films coming out OT SW stuff will be a good place to park some spare investment.

As long as you're not getting un-reasonable about expected returns circa 1 year post EOL then its all good.   Well that and you dont end up in the poor house from having all your funds tied up in an illiquid investment :)

And just to add on a personal point.  If this set had those 2 dudes who try to start a bar fight with Luke and Ben then I think we're talking 10179 potential ;)

I bought some of this set just to part out in my bricklink store. People always want tan bricks for stuff. With 8 minifigures and a larger creature, it's nice to have to fill out a smaller store.

What's your buy in on the ones you're parting out? I want a few more Cantinas, don't need any of the figures or speeder, but I haven't seen these on clearance in my area yet. Worth parting out myself at ~$69 or just buy the buildings off eBay?

What's your buy in on the ones you're parting out? I want a few more Cantinas, don't need any of the figures or speeder, but I haven't seen these on clearance in my area yet. Worth parting out myself at ~$69 or just buy the buildings off eBay?

$49 was my buy in. According to Bricklink, when I parted it out, the value was something like $120-$130. It's not huge when you consider what percentage of the set will sit and rot in storage for a while, but I am building inventory. The more I have, the more likely people will buy from me. On the other hand, I've already sold a bunch of pieces from this particular set, and still have all the figures, which is where I figure the money is.

Look at the cost of the stuff you don't want Vs. what you do want on ebay and bricklink and see what you might be able to recoup if you buy at retail. I think if you can sell the minifigs and speeder, you'd probably be ahead of buying the buildings.

Edited by thoroakenfelder

$49 was my buy in. According to Bricklink, when I parted it out, the value was something like $120-$130. It's not huge when you consider what percentage of the set will sit and rot in storage for a while, but I am building inventory. The more I have, the more likely people will buy from me. On the other hand, I've already sold a bunch of pieces from this particular set, and still have all the figures, which is where I figure the money is.

So you think bricklinking it is the way to go?  I could run around and grab quite a few more of these at that price if I wanted to, but I'm kind of already at the limit I want to be with this set.  If the parts are selling quite well, that would be a good reason to go that route.  However, this set does lend a lot of decent pieces for large mocs of architecture buildings, so I could see it being useful for many people… I fell the same way about the one TMNT movie set.  Think it's a horrible investment, but if you broke it up to sell as parts, it might be worth the effort..  

So you think bricklinking it is the way to go?  I could run around and grab quite a few more of these at that price if I wanted to, but I'm kind of already at the limit I want to be with this set.  If the parts are selling quite well, that would be a good reason to go that route.  However, this set does lend a lot of decent pieces for large mocs of architecture buildings, so I could see it being useful for many people… I fell the same way about the one TMNT movie set.  Think it's a horrible investment, but if you broke it up to sell as parts, it might be worth the effort..  

It really fits my needs right now for Bricklinking. I need minifigures and some volume of parts for my store. FOr example, there are 21 1x1 tan bricks. Someone wanting any volume of those pieces will now be drawn to my store and will probably get more stuff while they are there. Long term, Bricklinking this set is kind of a bad idea. These elements are unlikely to increase  as much as the whole set will. Plus parting out the sets does eat a lot of my time, and I will have to take a look in a few months and see how much my time has been worth.

• 4 months later...