71016 - Kwik-E-Mart

TheOrcKing

• 1 month later...

aye carumba!  i got to get some capital - i only have 3 + the one i built.  Yeah!  We have our first unannounced SOLD OUT!

this is a set that bn cleared this summer.  will be interesting to see if the minicooper goes - another set bn cleared.

Edited by cladner

Guest TabbyBoy

John Lewis currently have 197 in stock at £137.69 and I WILL NOT be assisting in reducing that number ;-)

Remember it's worth buying from them even if a couple of quid more, as their packing and customer service is simply the best.

11 minutes ago, cladner said:

aye carumba!  i got to get some capital - i only have 3 + the one i built.  Yeah!  We have our first unannounced SOLD OUT!

this is a set that bn cleared this summer.  will be interesting to see if the minicooper goes - another set bn cleared.

Yeah, you would have had to have been a fool to pay sticker price for this one and those of us that got it for 40-50% off should be able to turn a profit. I´m thinking Mini, too.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Brian Briggs said:

Even if it would be done does anyone really care anymore?

Personally, I'm done with these large exclusives. They're a pain to ship and profits are abysmal unless purchased at a deep discount.

TRU Spain cared even less for this set than you as they had it marked down to almost half price last year. Although some people already flipped theirs, that means there will be a huge stock of them unleashed at below RRP when it retires. Same goes for TIE, SHIELD and Palace all reduced to clear.

Edited by Val-E

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

TRU Spain cared even less for this set than you as they had it marked down to almost half price last year. Although some people already flipped theirs, that means there will be a huge stock of them unleashed at below RRP when it retires. Same goes for TIE, SHIELD and Palace all reduced to clear.

Well, at discounts like that it might be worth the risk.

Call to check on a big set like this used to cause a frenzy here. This thing would have vanished from target, amazon, and walmart in a couple hours and there would have been pages of discussion here. Miss those days. I suppose that kind of crazed speculation is what got us to where we are with these big sets...

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Call to check on a big set like this used to cause a frenzy here. This thing would have vanished from target, amazon, and walmart in a couple hours and there would have been pages of discussion here. Miss those days. I suppose that kind of crazed speculation is what got us to where we are with these big sets...

Right now, you have to look at D2C´s as dispassionately as a City or Friends set. You need a 40% discount to make money where 20% was fine before. For playsets, 70% is the norm where 50% was fine before.

Slave 1 could be the one exception this year if they don´t give it the tag.

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Well TRU packaging skills mean only 1% of the 1500 or so they had in stock arrived MISB!

I returned 100% of the Kwik-E-Marts I ordered from TRU in the past due to badly damaged boxes. In the end I got one for my personal collection from LEGO Shop at Home for a similar price in great condition.

5 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

I returned 100% of the Kwik-E-Marts I ordered from TRU in the past due to badly damaged boxes. In the end I got one for my personal collection from LEGO Shop at Home for a similar price in great condition.

I guess now I know where TRU Spain sourced them from!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Reminds of the good old days the 10228 - Haunted House went C2C.. everybody was F5'en like frenzy. Great time.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, Quacs said:

Anyone see these NISB going for $300+ shipped on eBay ?  I'm surprised - I thought for sure this one would languish below retail for awhile.

I've been watching 71006 Simpson's House head that way also. Is this just a post retirement bump before it settles down?

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, bigfanofnu said:

I've been watching 71006 Simpson's House head that way also. Is this just a post retirement bump before it settles down?

I think so which is why I've dumped them now. All cash sales so no eBay returns.

45 minutes ago, Quacs said:

Anyone see these NISB going for $300+ shipped on eBay ?  I'm surprised - I thought for sure this one would languish below retail for awhile.

Sea Cow rocketed up to $450 after eol only to fall after a few months. Hopefully Simpsons can maintain trajectory. Still I already sold one and may dump a few more, just keep a pair for the long haul. Nice to get the quick turnaround. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigfanofnu said:

I think these increases will probably level off pretty quickly, but every time I think I have something figured out it changes.

23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

+1 for the Seacow similarity.

I have my doubts we'll see anything like the Sea Cow.  I just don't see it going as high or as low.

• 1 month later...

It has really dropped on eBay UK, there's one selling now for £202.50. The £3 and then £1 FVF deals haven't helped matters.

I foolishly picked one up just before retirement at a £160 buy in thinking it would be an easy flip for £250+. I'm thinking of returning it to the Lego Shop to get rid of it. Not worth the hassle of shipping such a big set for minimal profit.

14 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

It has really dropped on eBay UK, there's one selling now for £202.50. The £3 and then £1 FVF deals haven't helped matters.

I foolishly picked one up just before retirement at a £160 buy in thinking it would be an easy flip for £250+. I'm thinking of returning it to the Lego Shop to get rid of it. Not worth the hassle of shipping such a big set for minimal profit.

Seems to be a lot of bottom-feeders out in force at the moment, across many themes.