71016 - Kwik-E-Mart

TheOrcKing

Their ratings have gone down since The Family Guy, if their show discontinues the House + Kwik set will sky rocket.

Since Family Guy debuted... 16 years ago? The Simpsons will go no where until Groening and Fox decide they're done.

Its the toughest sets to judge future value... need a very specific cross culture audience that grew up with the Simpsons that also want their kids to do so with LEGO.

• Like 1

While the sets seem to be great for fans, I wouldn't recommend them for long-term investing. Ratings for the show have reached all-time lows in the US, as well as in other countries. The times when the show had any real cultural relevance (or above-average quality) are over for more than a decade. One could find it suspicious that the LEGO deal came at a time when the show was losing more and more viewers hence coming even closer to being a candidate for final termination. The series seems to be running on nothing more than the last remnant fans of the 90s - back then nearly every episode was something special, whereas now most of them are just random comedy and not at all special for potential new fans. What if this is the second last season? Who will buy your sets in three years when you want to sell them? Imo (since there will not be so many new Simpsons fans from now) most of the target audience might buy the sets while they are available. And when Fox cancels the series for good, interest will vanish rather quickly (as with many TV series and corresponding merchandise) and eternal reruns won't save the day for investors. So in my opinion you should be very cautious with the LEGO Simpsons theme for long-term investing. The series being remarkably close to a possible retirement is a high risk. If I was still a fan I would at least buy the sets for my own collection, but nothing more.

Edited by rfish

The multiday Simpsons marathon last year commanded excellent ratings in the most sought after age group (18 - 49, I think).  Cancellation in the near future seems doubtful.  However, the Lego sets can fall in value even with the show on television.  Many older SpongeBob sets, for example, posted declines last year, even as the show continued.  Ditto for Ninjago.  Not every brand is Harry Potter or Star Wars.  With the Simpsons, I'm especially concerned by how Lego keeps releasing the family figures.  With the benefit of hindsight, it seems clear that a major factor driving the great performance of 2006 Batman sets was the fact that the whole line disappeared a few years later.  With Super Heroes and now the Simpsons, an investor has to factor in the guarantee of many, many remakes.

Aren't they cutting the show? Since The Family Guy took over.

And I don't see it in the shop.lego...you can add it to cart?

What is this nonsense you say....Family guy !?!?! :)

Lego won't do beer, it's a kids toy. We will never see Duffman, Barney, or Moe either. 

You don't think we could see Barney or Moe without the beer?  (Even though they are synonymous.)  

With the School and Nuke Plant being obvious options...what else could they really do?  The comic book store?

They could also do the school bus.  There is only so much they can do.  

Edit

Sorry about the double post.  Hope everyone is okay and no one has a heart attack and I don't get banned :)

Edited by pickleboy

The multiday Simpsons marathon last year commanded excellent ratings in the most sought after age group (18 - 49, I think).

"Marathon" sounds like a lot of good OLD episodes - just what I was talking about. So no surprise many people watched it.

Cancellation in the near future seems doubtful.

Ratings are at an all-time low. Why does a cancellation still seem so doubtful?

• Like 1

Rfish, have you seen the other shows on television?  Seriously, there's plenty of stuff to cancel before getting around to The Simpsons.  More on point, the Lego Simpsons episode did quite well ratings wise.  All that said, and while I like the look of this set, it doesn't feel like a $200 set to me.  The house did, but I have trouble seeing the KwikeMart as being equal to 1.33 modular buildings.