TRU.ca %20 off Technic and Chima

Sandwraith

No idea how they are doing with the kids these days as i don't have any, but boy were they the bees knees when i was young, best toys of my childhood.

My seven year old has an incredible memory. He builds them as per the instructions, then takes them apart into a big bucket of parts where they sit for weeks or months. He builds some other contraption... And then weeks or months later he rebuilds the original without the manual.

I can see the draw as a customizable action figure but you have to have sooo many of them to truly build custom ones.

SIGH... So many sets I want to buy. I haven't built a technic set yet and I'm super interested in the Volvo and the MKII. I guess this is the best opportunity to get one.

MKII for sure! We should see something better than 20% on the Volvo yet. Costco had 30% at Xmas I think and Amazon.UK will probably beat 20% too.

MKII for sure! We should see something better than 20% on the Volvo yet. Costco had 30% at Xmas I think and Amazon.UK will probably beat 20% too.

I see you have it as a profile pic. How robust is it? My 2.5yo loves playing with all the construction vehicles and I'm sure he will want to get his hands on it.

Lots of them are 2014-2015 releases for Technic. Buy, hold, and wait?

The 2015 sets likely wont be on sale yet. As for which to buy and hold for how long i wouldn't know as i don't buy Technic.

Older Technic sets tend to Linger in TRU for a while after sold out on LEGO Shop at Home, those would be the ones to go for if any.

I see you have it as a profile pic. How robust is it? My 2.5yo loves playing with all the construction vehicles and I'm sure he will want to get his hands on it.

I wouldn't let a 2.5 year old play with it... Too many functions (9) and although there is a slip hear when everything reaches maximum extension, the boom winch can't handle too much weight and likely won't like being tugged on. :)

I'd still build it though. ;)

• Like 1

What about MkII vs. Crawler?    I can probably only afford to buy one at this time.

(One is already retired, one is likely to follow shortly).

Lots of people criticize the crawler, but it's a pretty cool set... Kids love to drive them.

If you're talking investment, the MKII all the way. I don't see the crawler having nearly as good potential. Technic fans seem to be more in love with construction sets and race cars than the other ones like the crawler. And since the old cranes are so expensive, this one has plenty of room.

However ... the crawler has an excellent assortment of parts - gears, hubs, tires, motors (including the servo motor) that the crane doesn't have so people interested in building mocs may target a set like this as a way to obtain compatible parts and learn the basics of building their own super mocs.

Well I'm disappointed. I have a Safeway GC and I was going to purchase a TrU gift card with it but they don't allow that :( It was going to bring the price down drastically on a technic set.

Im really surprised at the price of the 4x4 crawler (1327pcs) and Volvo (1636pcs) compared to the MKII (2606pcs) due to piece count. I guess the remote control bumps the price up?!

I think the code just doesn't work on the MkII and Crawler. It works on some smaller sets. 

My testing let's the code work on sets only up to $139.99 on regular priced items. After $140 it seems to be invalid. Sales items that had an original price of $139.99 don't seem to work even though they 'check out' at a lower price. It could just be that sale items are hit or miss but the regular priced items seem to follow this pattern.

The 42028 bulldozer with the code seems to be a good buy, about 37% off with free shipping.

It seems the 4x4 crawler disappeared from the site. Doesn't even say out of stock! Bummer!

Check in store - TRU in Windsor still had a couple on Sunday morning - you might luck out. I grabbed a logging truck 20% off and was super stoked - like finding free money! As for the code, I used it to clean out the last four Monster Truck 42005 sets. Decent ebay sales data and the coupon plus free shipping was too hard to turn down.

What's everyone's thoughts on this price for MKII? I can also throw a 20 dollar air miles coupon at it. Just not sure if these are sometimes ever cheaper than this

Costco did $189.99 its first Xmas.

Amazon.uk had them for $186 (for the at the time exchange) early February this year.

This set is due to disappear in August this year so don't wait too long to pick one up. Technic seems to hold to its two year time frame pretty religiously... Except for TRU that can't seem to avoid having old stock.

I grabbed two 42006 Excavators from my local TRU for $90 after tax.

• Like 1

What's everyone's thoughts on this price for MKII? I can also throw a 20 dollar air miles coupon at it. Just not sure if these are sometimes ever cheaper than this

I have a feeling this is going to be the best we get up here without some clever coupon stacking of some sort. Not a priority set for me but I would love to give one of these technic sets a crack but I'm still a little gun shy due to the price.