MOD NOTE: Non LEGO Topics

I have read this whole thread and think I need to re-read it to understand where things are at.

My head is hurting.

Off to get Coffee.

That should not help but make it hurt more.

In any event whatever threads we have please do not hide from the latest, that is how I find these things.

I can only say that I am having the time of my life in the main non lego toys thread.  Its a blast.

Please carry on with the conversation so I can continue to be confused.

Edit: LOL

• Like 1

People need to put these off topic threads in the right places to start with. Stop giving the Mods extra work. Secondly, no BS. If it's worthy of a thread or reply, then post it. But if it's a bunch of stupid crap, you are wasting everyone's time. The Mods get tired of cleaning up the constant BS of some members. If you want the Mods to back off, then be careful and respectful of what you post.

I constantly hear the same names. You know who you are. But it works both ways. If you want the Mods to get off your case, act like the majority of members on the site. Before bad mouthing a Mod, think about what you wrote or did to cause the issue. Did you post something nasty or aggressive? Was it illegal? Was it controversial? Was it way off topic? Did you insult another member? Was it posted in the right category? Was it redundant material? Was it spam? Was it affiliate links to other sites?

These are just some of things that can get a post deleted or a member suspended or banned. I have spoken to the Mods about taking it easy on some of you, but don't abuse it. Work with them and me. If you have a question...ask them...or me...or Jeff. We will respond to every PM. Thanks.

• Like 7

Strange. I thought the capability existed on the forum already. I believed the 50 Shades thread showed up under "latest post" initially, but then disappeared even though people were still posting there.

Anything posted in the Really Non-Lego Stuff subcategory of the Odds & Ends area does not show up in the main feed or latest posts section which is just one of the reasons why that subcategory was created and why the thread was moved there. Eventually most all other topics having little to nothing with LEGO shall be moved there in due time as well.
  • Like 1

Just seeing this thread now, I`m guilty as charged, so I apologize for that. Would like to try and offer a couple of suggestions though. At the most basic it has to do with 1 person making a post of even just a comment in a post about something, anything, unrelated, then someone else responding to it, then someone else, etc, etc, etc. I don`t know if there is a way to avoid that other than just removing anything unrelated entirely. When people feel engaged in the conversation, the limit to this can be endless pages and pages of excess. Deleting every post would take away from the camaraderie that many really enjoy and come to the site for in the first place, sometimes the whole point of the site takes a back-seat to that.

I don`t think it should be that way, of course not, because it is a Lego Investing site in the first place, but at the same time the excessiveness as is sometimes the cases indirectly seems to add to the genuine conversation that does take place. If people feel more welcomed and accepted, they`re going to a lot of the time make more of an effort to post threads that are more relevant alongside this excessiveness. So the solution to this has to do with how can we (more specifically Ed and Jeff and the MODS) tackle both of these things, yet maintain a clear separation when someone genuinely only wants to read a thread about the specific topic the thread was created for without any/very little extras. That`s of course isn`t the administrations` doing why the thread gets off track in the first place, that onus is absolutely on the community members to be responsible enough to keep the site clean and organized when they post. 

That being said, I really like how Ed and Jeff have dedicated portions of their site to non-Lego content. And how the MODS have done their best to try and keep things well organized. That`s really great, and that honestly makes the site a much better place (not that it isn`t fantastic in the first place, you know what I mean).  

Maybe there should be a limit to how much a thread can go off track before a new more appropriate thread needs to be created. A few comments in a thread can add to the reading and member experience, where as pages and pages can detract. Maybe the solution lies somewhere in there. If a thread goes off by a page or more, a new thread needs to be made. At the same time that may lead to too many useless threads which might be great to read in the short term, but clog up the site with things that don`t matter down the road. 

There isn`t just 1 solution, because the site is so successful and the community by and large is so dedicated, the solution to off-topic threads will definitely involve a few things. Figuring out what those are obviously implementing them is ultimately going to benefit the community even more.

We`ve got a wonderful dedicated administration. Kudos to you all!

We`ve got fantastic features here (the Brickfolio, which I need to use more, the Price Catalog, the Sales list/updates, the Brick Classifieds, just to name a few of many). 

We`ve got some truly special members who bring a lot to the community. 

I`m going to think about this a lot more and I think every member here should, think about "how can we as a community continue to make BrickPicker a great place. How can we organize and keep the threads organized and full of great information, without detracting from the positive yet sometimes excessive camaraderie?"

• Like 4

I`m going to think about this a lot more and I think every member here should, think about "how can we as a community continue to make BrickPicker a great place. How can we organize and keep the threads organized and full of great information, without detracting from the positive yet sometimes excessive camaraderie?"

bp_1425707821__quick_meme.jpg

:P And just like that the topic gets a little slanted. I will begin by saying thank you for such a massively well written post with plenty of points. The truth is there is no conceivable way of keeping every topic perfectly aligned and no one should feel guilty about such a trait as it is merely human nature. Some of the best topics get that way from a few quips and humor injected to keep things fresh and going.

Now there is limit with how far such activity can go to the point where nobody can recall what the original debate was about. Usually a polite detour or two is placed to get the bus back on track. However it is when these few courtesies get ignored, rejected, or in some cases scoffed the foot comes down sometimes unfortunately strong. I personally do not like getting pushed that far and try to resolve the matter before such a stage with tact and respect because that is what every person deserves. My title may be "moderator" but I prefer the term "mediator".

In any case, all of us here have deviated from a topic's main subject of discussion including the lowly orc typing this reply. Guilt is not the feeling trying to be imposed on anyone who has gone off-topic here. I would say the real point is simply a reminder of let us have fun but please keep an eye on the prize. As a couple of great philosophers once said, "Be excellent to each other. Party on, dudes!".

• Like 4

Just seeing this thread now, I`m guilty as charged, so I apologize for that. Would like to try and offer a couple of suggestions though. At the most basic it has to do with 1 person making a post of even just a comment in a post about something, anything, unrelated, then someone else responding to it, then someone else, etc, etc, etc. I don`t know if there is a way to avoid that other than just removing anything unrelated entirely. When people feel engaged in the conversation, the limit to this can be endless pages and pages of excess. Deleting every post would take away from the camaraderie that many really enjoy and come to the site for in the first place, sometimes the whole point of the site takes a back-seat to that.

I don`t think it should be that way, of course not, because it is a Lego Investing site in the first place, but at the same time the excessiveness as is sometimes the cases indirectly seems to add to the genuine conversation that does take place. If people feel more welcomed and accepted, they`re going to a lot of the time make more of an effort to post threads that are more relevant alongside this excessiveness. So the solution to this has to do with how can we (more specifically Ed and Jeff and the MODS) tackle both of these things, yet maintain a clear separation when someone genuinely only wants to read a thread about the specific topic the thread was created for without any/very little extras. That`s of course isn`t the administrations` doing why the thread gets off track in the first place, that onus is absolutely on the community members to be responsible enough to keep the site clean and organized when they post.

That being said, I really like how Ed and Jeff have dedicated portions of their site to non-Lego content. And how the MODS have done their best to try and keep things well organized. That`s really great, and that honestly makes the site a much better place (not that it isn`t fantastic in the first place, you know what I mean).

Maybe there should be a limit to how much a thread can go off track before a new more appropriate thread needs to be created. A few comments in a thread can add to the reading and member experience, where as pages and pages can detract. Maybe the solution lies somewhere in there. If a thread goes off by a page or more, a new thread needs to be made. At the same time that may lead to too many useless threads which might be great to read in the short term, but clog up the site with things that don`t matter down the road.

There isn`t just 1 solution, because the site is so successful and the community by and large is so dedicated, the solution to off-topic threads will definitely involve a few things. Figuring out what those are obviously implementing them is ultimately going to benefit the community even more.

We`ve got a wonderful dedicated administration. Kudos to you all!

We`ve got fantastic features here (the Brickfolio, which I need to use more, the Price Catalog, the Sales list/updates, the Brick Classifieds, just to name a few of many).

We`ve got some truly special members who bring a lot to the community.

You are not who I was referring to. ;-). This is really no big deal to most of the community. Continue to post the way you have been. I really don't care if threads go off topic. Many of the best information comes from an occasional conversation about other topics within the main thread. What I don't want to see are main categories being created about completely non related LEGO topics. Topics that are meant to stay on the forum in other words.

Post your deals about travel or Burger King or whatever. Post an interesting story. That's ok. It comes and goes. But to have dedicated threads to a whole litany of topics that are non-LEGO related will bog down the forum and make it less effective.

Ed is the good cop here, I am going to stay out of this after this post.  I would personally get rid of all non-LEGO BS it if I could :)  That is just me.  I really only care to see conversations about deals on other toys because it is basically related to the topic on hand, but I cringe when I see worthless banter on other things in the daily deals and other places.  I rather have less posts and less traffic if it was giving the site quality posts about LEGO than a ton of filler stuff that has nothing to do about LEGO.

• Like 3

I'm still a little confused.  Even with the specific section dedicated to off-topic threads, are there still limits to what gets posted in there? (outside of the normal controversial stuff that already been listed.)

I joined this site to mainly talk about Legos, as with I'm sure just about every single person, but I do enjoy talking about other things as well other than just Lego.  And like some have said, I really, really, don't want to create a new account for every single other topic I like to discuss.  There are other hobbies that I do enjoy.

I do think though that in some topics I can see some veering off the trail and then going nowhere, and having to filter through junk posts is a pain.  A good example is eurobricks.  I've noticed so many topics that veer off so fast that you can have half the topic be non related junk.  And the mods here have done an absolutely fantastic job of keeping it coherent here.  It's a much cleaner site than most I've been too.

I don't see the harm in just keeping the off topic section as is.  I also like that it doesn't show up in the latest forum posts.  I use that to track current topics.  If I want to see what's going on in other things non-lego related I can simply click that section.

I think every forum I'm a member of has a section dedicated to completely non-related material.  I would just say that it's nice to have it, and I hope you don't think about keeping everything on this site 100% Lego.

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting, just adding my very similar two cents. I love Lego but I also love the off-topic banter and non Lego related stuff. I'd say I now spend more time in the non Lego section because it seems like it's fresher. My interests range beyond Lego. I came for the Lego talk but stay for the whole package. Honestly if the site became just narrowly Lego related I'd still read but most likely wouldn't engage or read as long as I do now. This place is one of my first internet stops.

• Like 2

There are thousands of members here so if everyone wanted to discuss just one off topic topic, we would have thousands and thousands of non lego BS. One of the first replies to this post stated that another site he is a member of suffered tremendously from off topic BS. I understand going to other websites to discuss other topics is a pain sometimes but it ok it won't be the end of the world if you have to go to another site to post about how many pets you have.

• Like 1

i'm with you 100%.

here is how i look at it  this is ed and your website about Lego products.  both of you established Brickpicker because of your "love" for Lego building, investing, and memories.

i've been a member since the Fall of 2012.  it does seems we had far more consist constructive and thought provoking posts before 2014 when there weren't as many non-Lego posts.   when i go on other well-established forums, i see far less BS related to "other" and "non-" topics.

as ed mentioned and i'll spin that a tad, already ample portion of mod time is devoted to non-lego threads. some folks need to remember this is a LEGO web site.   why should mods and non-mods waste time discussing why ammo, Ferguson, politics, Target TMNT pricing errors, etc... posts were deleted. it's a  waste of time for everyone involved and gets folks confused about the rules.

while it seems nearly everyone participating in the BP forums are Lego fans, i think too many are consumed by non-Lego toys, deals, products, etc...

finally i think some folks here would be far better creating Twitter and Facebook accounts for their non-Lego toys, deals, products, etc... chit chat.  i also find it very surprising some folks are using the BP forum as their main non-Lego social internet outlet.

Ed is the good cop here, I am going to stay out of this after this post.  I would personally get rid of all non-LEGO BS it if I could :)  That is just me.  I really only care to see conversations about deals on other toys because it is basically related to the topic on hand, but I cringe when I see worthless banter on other things in the daily deals and other places.  I rather have less posts and less traffic if it was giving the site quality posts about LEGO than a ton of filler stuff that has nothing to do about LEGO.

There are thousands of members here so if everyone wanted to discuss just one off topic topic, we would have thousands and thousands of non lego BS. One of the first replies to this post stated that another site he is a member of suffered tremendously from off topic BS. I understand going to other websites to discuss other topics is a pain sometimes but it ok it won't be the end of the world if you have to go to another site to post about how many pets you have.

I really like some of the non-lego threads on this forum. However, I understand your concern. I can imagine it is difficult to find a balance. 

Please keep the other toys to invest thread. I find that very valuable. Sure it veers off into toilet paper deals, but who can't say no to some hot deals on quilted northern. I wouldn't have discovered masterpiece transformers and a couple other limited edition keepers if not for that thread. My wallet and wife are not happy but it's fun for me.

First and foremost, thank you to the site founders and mods for all that you do to keep this site running and tidy.  Not only is it a thankless job for the most part, but some of the abuse that is thrown your way is absolutely ridiculous and unfounded.

I've only been on since October, but of the 3-4 forum communities that I've participated in BP definitely strikes the right balance of on point, slightly off point, and what the???  I'm sure it's a challenge, but if things can be maintained similar to how they are now that would seem ideal.  Personally, the off topic threads don't get in the way at all.  It's the off topic posts and banter in the topical threads that have to be sifted through that are a bit annoying but are sure to come with any discussion open to 40,000 (?) members.

I saw the "what do you drive" thread mentioned earlier - FWIW that thread to me is in line with the "how old are you" or "what do you do for a living" threads.  It's more about who makes up this community than a thread for car talk.

• Like 1

No one is removing the non LEGO talk, but what Ed is asking is that a new thread isn't created for every non LEGO topic. MANY MANY can be stuffed in the main threads that are already there.  Just keep it simple.

So, there is no requirement in non-Lego deals section to create separate thread for each deal and it is ok to have single , say, travel deals thread? Just wanted to clarify, since there was confusion about that

So, there is no requirement in non-Lego deals section to create separate thread for each deal and it is ok to have single , say, travel deals thread? Just wanted to clarify, since there was confusion about that

I think Ed clarified that a new Travel deal can be posted as it's own thread.  Any required mod-action will be case-by-case depending on the subject matter (Corn Dog Deals always prevail) We won't be allowing a large number of dedicated blanket non-Lego threads with ongoing discussions

I don't want a single thread either, but if people have a great travel deal to share, then post it.  As I explained to sauromosis, this is a slippery slope.  This is a LEGO site, so we have to be careful what we discuss.  I really don't want dedicated threads to travel or cars or sports or whatever, but if something interesting comes up...post it, then we will have to see how off topic it is and then deal with it.  I have instructed the Mods to be a lttle more lenient with this sort of issue, but people shouldn't take offense if something is removed.

I think the forum topics are quite wide ranging, but please cut me a break.  No guns or ammo talk.  Nothing about drugs, political, sexual or anything else that can construed as controversial.  Ask Jeff or I first and you can save yourself a lot of time and trouble.  Thanks.

I am here working with Ed today and we are both looking at each other scratching our heads saying.."The site is called Brickpicker..blah blah LEGO price guide and LEGO collecting and LEGO investing...blah blah..."  Where does Travel discounts and ammo discounts, and other whacky stuff come into play?  I don't know.  He will come up with something to appease your needs, but basically everything from Movie trailers to other stuff, will be put in this one thread and that is it.  For the most part we have been quite lenient about a lot of stuff on here.  I mean we have a Fantasy Baseball thread here!!!  I would have lost a lot of money if people bet me if that would be on here.

Regardless, there will be something here with some clear outlines as to what should go in there.  But I really don't want to hear complaints if mods or Ed or I just delete stuff that is in the wrong spot or really doesn't fit outside of that area once this is posted.

• Like 3