Am I Lord Business?

I still remember sitting in the movie theater watching the Lego movie for the first time.

Will Ferrel comes on screen in the basement with his son.

Lord Business and a Creative Boy.

It was a moment of reckoning I will never forget.

My son and I stopped watching the movie looked at each other and said that's you.

I am the dad Lord Business who must build by the book everything and keep it neat and organized.

He was the boy who tears sets up and builds beautiful creations from them far more imaginative then I could.

We both went back to watching the movie after a minute of epic foundation shaking of our worlds and it is one of our favorite movies.

How do you deal with it?

Embrace it.

Realize to truly build beautiful things they need more than a Creative Tower box of bricks.  They need mini figures and unique set pieces that only come in sets or brick linked.  More than the pick a brick wall.

Realize you are who you are and set up boundaries on which sets can be demolished and mixed and which can't.

Build your sets your way.

Let them totally destroy and mix mini figures, really unique pieces in sets and come up with wonderful creations.

Everyone is happy.

Life is good.  Carry on.

• Like 3

Welcome to BP!

Now that kids are discussed lets talk about how you keep sets from girlfriends. Last year she got pissed off at her workplace and I went home to see a newly built Imperial Flagship. Three months later an Emerald Night followed. The latter is my fault because -1. did not tell her how expensive IF is so she assumed EN is cheap -2. that time I was the one who pissed her off. 

• Like 2

... As Will Ferrell says, "It's a highly-sophisticated, interlocking brick-mechanism".

My Wife and I have ours- "they" have theirs.

The reality is... with a 3 and a 5 year-old in the house, almost nothing is safe. We place our display sets on top of bookshelves where they are well out of reach. I have  been on  business trips where I found Uni-Kitty hiding in my briefcase, and reached for an Eggo waffle in our freezer to find in the box- I kid you not- General Grievous and Queen Elsa. I am certain I did not put them in the waffle box.

Regardless... everything else ultimately ends up in a pile of destruction and chaos, after initially enjoying the "planned" set display for 22-38 seconds.

As many of us have experienced- you don't have to touch, breath, or feel a UCS Tumbler- just think about it alone, and panels start to crumble off. Just imagine such a set with a 3-year old boy who's sole ambition in life is to combine MY Tumbler with ALL of his Series 3 Mixels. This is a recipe for failure.

And a battle I lose consistently.

I wear MY Lord Business badge not with shame- but with honor. You'll know you've raised them right when they apologize for adding a hodge-podge of Ninja Turtles garbage to the top of your Tower Bridge and Super Star Destroyer.

• Like 3

... As Will Ferrell says, "It's a highly-sophisticated, interlocking brick-mechanism".

My Wife and I have ours- "they" have theirs.

The reality is... with a 3 and a 5 year-old in the house, almost nothing is safe. We place our display sets on top of bookshelves where they are well out of reach. I have been on business trips where I found Uni-Kitty hiding in my briefcase, and reached for an Eggo waffle in our freezer to find in the box- I kid you not- General Grievous and Queen Elsa. I am certain I did not put them in the waffle box.

Regardless... everything else ultimately ends up in a pile of destruction and chaos, after initially enjoying the "planned" set display for 22-38 seconds.

As many of us have experienced- you don't have to touch, breath, or feel a UCS Tumbler- just think about it alone, and panels start to crumble off. Just imagine such a set with a 3-year old boy who's sole ambition in life is to combine MY Tumbler with ALL of his Series 3 Mixels. This is a recipe for failure.

And a battle I lose consistently.

I wear MY Lord Business badge not with shame- but with honor. You'll know you've raised them right when they apologize for adding a hodge-podge of Ninja Turtles garbage to the top of your Tower Bridge and Super Star Destroyer.

And that is why I have very few sets displayed.
  • Like 1