Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

5 minutes ago, betsy805 said:

I have this showing up when someone is trying to checkout on my page:

Order summary

No shipping methods available

I'm sorry, but the seller can't ship your order with any of the shipping method available.

Do you know why or how I can fix it?  They're looking to buy sets and I've never had this issue before so I don't know what changed?!!

The buyer might be buying a large order that exceeds the dimensions of your listed shipping options. You can create a bypass password that will allow them to put the order through.

36 minutes ago, betsy805 said:

I have this showing up when someone is trying to checkout on my page:

Order summary

No shipping methods available

I'm sorry, but the seller can't ship your order with any of the shipping method available.

Do you know why or how I can fix it?  They're looking to buy sets and I've never had this issue before so I don't know what changed?!!

In addition to the other responses, I have had this happen when a new user is trying to order from me and I had the "Show only Instant Checkout methods to new buyers" box checked on the Management tab of your store settings (or the checkbox under that not checked, which allows invoice when the order can't be filled with IC).

• Like 2

Anyone else seeing NPB's going up at high rate lately?  I didn't have one for my first few months and lately it's been alarmingly high.  I know moving to instant checkout would alleviate this but that system has several issues as well.  

I have my own fruitcake on there a gentleman from overseas(using a freight forwarder) has tried to purchase the same order twice now.  First time he NPB's, the second time, under a different account name, he tells me to drop the insurance and provide a cheaper shipping rate.  This is on a $900 order mind you.  Order cancelled.  Blocked again.

Guest betsy805

People who have stripe as a payment option: this is probably an easy fix but my brain isn't thinking of the answer....how do you input the orders into your accounting software given that they take the fees upfront so the amount received doesn't match your brickowl sale?

• 1 month later...

So, BrickLink is switching over to PayPal for Marketplace.  First off, has anyone made the switch yet? I saw this banner at the top of my BL page and I'm wondering what happens if I don't switch.  I haven't hear much about PP for Marketplace, aside from that it launched in November.   Second, if we are required to switch and if so, does it cost money for the additonal PP service?

4 minutes ago, TANV said:

So, BrickLink is switching over to PayPal for Marketplace.  First off, has anyone made the switch yet? I saw this banner at the top of my BL page and I'm wondering what happens if I don't switch.  I haven't hear much about PP for Marketplace, aside from that it launched in November.   Second, if we are required to switch and if so, does it cost money for the additonal PP service?

my understanding is if you don't switch, you only lose onsite payment.

I made the switch about a week ago, and the only thing I have noticed different is that I don't get emails when I get paid, which is kind of a pain in the ass.  I really liked onsite payment, not sure why Bricklink likes to fix things that aren't broken.  There's been a lot of complaining over there about little it seems to me.  I remember when they opened up sale of Brickarms, you would have thought they were taking your first born.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

There’s not really much difference with the PPMP service. The buyer gets a nicer checkout experience. Several people have raised the concern about the email, but BL already sends an email for every order so why do you need two emails for the same order?

BL has never notified me that I have been paid via Paypal.  Only Paypal has sent me this notification before.  It's not a huge deal as long as I show "PAID", but if that doesn't happen I have no idea if I have been paid or not.  

Edit:  Is there a setting to show that I have been paid through Bricklink?

Edited by Huskers1236

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Yes, that's obviously the case(unless they pay friend/family) but you're saying you get an email from Bricklink.  I've never seen a payment received email from Bricklink, only Paypal.

Sorry, let me clarify.  BL only sends the order confirmation email.  However, you can customize the message template so you can easily see if they used instant checkout and paid, or if they used a hold open/manual invoice/alternate payment method etc.  So no separate payment email, just the order email.

On a related note, if you do have a manual invoice scenario, and the buyer pays via PayPal, you WILL still get the PayPal payment email even if you link PPMP.

So...

instant checkout/paid = only order email from BL

manual invoice + payment later = order email from BL + later payment email from PP

I made the switch because I saw the flag and I thought I had too. I have a big order building up and I didn’t want any interruptions.

But what from I quickly read, I’m not sure I like ppmarketplace. I don’t think it’ll help me any, just BrickLink. In particular, I don’t use instant check out.

So far the only thing I noticed is on my PayPal summary I see two lines for each order upon payment.
One lines says “soandso” ordered $50
Second line says “soandso” paid $50.
Redundant, space inefficient.

26 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

Sorry, let me clarify.  BL only sends the order confirmation email.  However, you can customize the message template so you can easily see if they used instant checkout and paid, or if they used a hold open/manual invoice/alternate payment method etc.  So no separate payment email, just the order email.

On a related note, if you do have a manual invoice scenario, and the buyer pays via PayPal, you WILL still get the PayPal payment email even if you link PPMP.

So...

instant checkout/paid = only order email from BL

manual invoice + payment later = order email from BL + later payment email from PP

Gotcha.  I have not implemented instant checkout yet, so all orders were either onsite or offsite paypal.  I really liked onsite payment,(as a buyer and a seller) not sure why they thought the need to change.  

Paypal is refusing to ship to an address on a BrickOwl order, because the address is wrong (it's missing an "a" in "East St."). I know fixing the address in an EBay transaction is a big no-no, but how about a small order (<$20) purchased through BrickOwl/BrickLink? Paypal tells me I lose Seller Protection if I fix the address myself, so I sent out a note to my customer. Should I have just gone ahead and made the fix anyways?

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Paypal is refusing to ship to an address on a BrickOwl order, because the address is wrong (it's missing an "a" in "East St."). I know fixing the address in an EBay transaction is a big no-no, but how about a small order (<$20) purchased through BrickOwl/BrickLink? Paypal tells me I lose Seller Protection if I fix the address myself, so I sent out a note to my customer. Should I have just gone ahead and made the fix anyways?

I have done this twice where it was obvious that they had missed a space or added extra information like an extra town or state.  Both times I have contacted the buyer and received a response so at least I had some documentation.  Have not had any problems.  If this were on a large order, I would not go through with it until the buyer made the change, but on a $20 or less order, it's probably worth the risk especially if you get some sort of response.  

• Like 1

To BrickLink and Brick Owl members,

I am excited to announce a new Kickstarter project for a new inventory and order management software application specifically designed for LEGO® sellers. Anyone who has used BrickStock, or BrickStore before it, knows how much time can be saved with such a program. However, one of the shortcomings of these applications has been the lack of continued support, updates, and new features (through no fault of their creators, mind you).

And so, the idea for our application, InvenStorey, was born. At its core, Invenstorey will provide the same abilities as BrickStock but with on-going support for users and regular updates, including new features. But we want to make this program even better. Some of the ideas for new features are:

- Smart Catalog: Imagine the ability to hide portions of the catalog that you don't use (think really old sets, parts and minifgures; or third-party custom items)and adding custom tags to make searching for parts easier.

- Integration with other services: if you use services like ShipStation, Stamps.com, or others to purchase shipping online, you'll be able to download orders into InvenStorey and fulfill them without leaving the application.

- Sync your inventory: the ability to sync inventory across multiple marketplaces, or even your own website.

- iPhone/Android App: after the main application is completed, the addition of a smartphone app that will allow you to scan inventory into the application, either by UPC or by image search.

These are just a few ideas, but the best ideas will no doubt come from the community this project is for. We know that backers of this project will have lots of feedback on what features are needed for their business. Through polling, live stream discussions, and closed beta periods, we expect to get tons of new feature ideas to add to InvenStorey.

Please take the time to check out our Kickstarter project and send us any questions or feedback you have.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/invenstorey/invenstorey-manage-your-lego-parts-store-with-ease?ref=bb9vht

Thanks,
Mike
Programmer, InvenStorey
www.invenstorey.com

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever had someone request an order pickup via BrickLink, especially if they live in the same area you do? I've had this happen earlier today on eBay and now I'm getting a request via BL of all places too.  If so, is there any suggestion on what to do to safeguard myself?  The order remains Pending as of the moment.

If its on ebay, i usually request them to cancel the order and then pay in cash

bricklink people seem way more trustworthy, i just make sure they have good feedback
you could do the same thing for them, just tell them to bring cash

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Quick question for those who ship BL orders internationally. I am mainly thinking about shipping to Canada but wanted to grab some advice first.

It seems that their first class has a max weight of 4lbs? Is that true? But I also believe that this first class does NOT have tracking?

Also I know there are priority mail options for international that are much more, but would include tracking / insurance.

Is there any other options I am missing? or what do others use to ship to Canada from the US? 

Thanks! 

Not much help as to your options, but from a Canadian buyer's perspective, from placing many international orders, for small orders definitely provide the option for no tracking! I will always opt for it if it's available, and will often check other stores to find that option. $8-10 extra in shipping due to mandatory tracking is worth paying 5-10c more per part elsewhere to avoid that charge! :) 

On 6/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, scatttcat said:

Hi,

Quick question for those who ship BL orders internationally. I am mainly thinking about shipping to Canada but wanted to grab some advice first.

It seems that their first class has a max weight of 4lbs? Is that true? But I also believe that this first class does NOT have tracking?

Also I know there are priority mail options for international that are much more, but would include tracking / insurance.

Is there any other options I am missing? or what do others use to ship to Canada from the US? 

Thanks! 

Small bubble mailer to Canada is ~$9.50 up to 8 oz and includes tracking.  Use an online postage service to print your labels and they will include the integrated customs form so no need to wait at the post office.

27 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Not much help as to your options, but from a Canadian buyer's perspective, from placing many international orders, for small orders definitely provide the option for no tracking! I will always opt for it if it's available, and will often check other stores to find that option. $8-10 extra in shipping due to mandatory tracking is worth paying 5-10c more per part elsewhere to avoid that charge! :) 

There is no legitimate shipping option for parts from US to Canada that does not include tracking.  Some sellers will try to game the rules and try to mail it as a "letter" but they are taking a risk that it either gets returned for inaccurate postage or shredded because "letters" are run through sorting machinery.

• Like 2

^^ True of course, but many do manage to get away with it successfully for small orders (sending as lettermail). Which leads me to buying from Europe more often than the US if I end up needing to go outside of domestic sellers... despite the vastly increased distance, the shipping is often about half the price. Crazy what North American monopolies can get away with really....$9.50 for a bubble mailer is ridiculous by any kind of standards, kind of sucks for everyone, international buyers and US sellers alike. Alas.