Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

3 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

On my BrickLink store, a buyer cannot complete the purchase of the used 3817 The Flying Dutchman set I have for sale (no box, only the pieces, and the instructions).

Here is their message, "I’m not able to check out because “the package size doesn’t meet seller requirements.”  I have never seen this message.    The potential buyer is in Shrewsbury, MA.

Here are my shipping settings:

BrickLink - My Store Settings - Google Chrome 2018-12-20 20.47.40.jpg

What settings do I need to change or add to so I can sell this set?

Thanks!

You need an “Invoice Me” option. Classic style, where you provide shipping cost after order is placed.

22 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

You need an “Invoice Me” option. Classic style, where you provide shipping cost after order is placed.

Invoicing is a separate setting. Even with invoicing active, if inventory items exceed the dimensions of available shipping options, then it'll return an error.

7 hours ago, mizeur said:

Invoicing is a separate setting. Even with invoicing active, if inventory items exceed the dimensions of available shipping options, then it'll return an error.

Right. It is vital to have an option for Manual invoicing (a setting within the shipping method) that covers everywhere you ship to.

I don't have a problem receiving orders AFAIK (large orders that exceed dimensions, items missing weight and/or dimensions). I could be wrong, of course. But given the orders I get, I don't think so.

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

Right. It is vital to have an option for Manual invoicing (a setting within the shipping method) that covers everywhere you ship to.

I don't have a problem receiving orders AFAIK (large orders that exceed dimensions, items missing weight and/or dimensions). I could be wrong, of course. But given the orders I get, I don't think so.

The issue isn't which style of invoicing is enabled. It's the weight and dimension restrictions assigned to the shipping methods which allow or prevent orders to be placed at all.

14 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

On my BrickLink store, a buyer cannot complete the purchase of the used 3817 The Flying Dutchman set I have for sale (no box, only the pieces, and the instructions).

Here is their message, "I’m not able to check out because “the package size doesn’t meet seller requirements.”  I have never seen this message.    The potential buyer is in Shrewsbury, MA.

Here are my shipping settings:

BrickLink - My Store Settings - Google Chrome 2018-12-20 20.47.40.jpg

What settings do I need to change or add to so I can sell this set?

Thanks!

What's the deal with charging folks Retail vs what I assume you are paying of Commercial?  How many customers have you lost due to that?

1 hour ago, LegoMan1212 said:

What's the deal with charging folks Retail vs what I assume you are paying of Commercial?  How many customers have you lost due to that?

My shipping charges for buyers are what I pay and I always try to use the cheapest method for the both us, often using my own boxes.  My BrickLink store is doing well, I generate the invoice vs. instant checkout and have never had a complaint about my shipping charges.  Buyers e-mail me too for shipping quotes.

The screen shot I included is for reference only and so I had something in my shipping methods to appease the BrickLink gods as it were.

The issue I mentioned was resolved by setting up a larger weight/size shipping method just to have something in there to essentially override the error the buyer was getting.  It somehow worked!   BrickLink seems to have pre-generated weights for sets and tries to choose a shipping method to match.  It seems to be a known issue on the site. 

Edited by LegoWalker4

5 hours ago, mizeur said:

The issue isn't which style of invoicing is enabled. It's the weight and dimension restrictions assigned to the shipping methods which allow or prevent orders to be placed at all.

You're missing my point. I understand that...you need a specific style of invoicing enabled to allow all orders to go through. Not all items have dimensions and weight, so even if you account for every scenario, you will still not get all orders unless you also have a manual invoicing style enabled.

Edited by minicoopers11

• 2 weeks later...

I've been selling some sets on bricklink with no issues and then I just got a non-shipping complaint.

I sent it, it showed as delivered, and then the customer said it got stolen off her porch. Now she's launching a non-shipping complaint against me and saying my shipping was too expensive and questioning why I didn't insure the package. Am I supposed to insure every package? What am I supposed to do under these circumstances? I don't want my bricklink rating to be affected.

Guest betsy805
23 minutes ago, tballw32 said:

I've been selling some sets on bricklink with no issues and then I just got a non-shipping complaint.

I sent it, it showed as delivered, and then the customer said it got stolen off her porch. Now she's launching a non-shipping complaint against me and saying my shipping was too expensive and questioning why I didn't insure the package. Am I supposed to insure every package? What am I supposed to do under these circumstances? I don't want my bricklink rating to be affected.

That's ridiculous. She accepted the shipping charges and has the choice as a buyer to request insurance. As long as tracking shows as delivered, PayPal will protect you. You have the option to reply to negative feedback ratings if wanted, but most buyers will realize how ridiculous the complaint was anyway

1 minute ago, betsy805 said:

but most buyers will realize how ridiculous the complaint was anyway

win the battle but lose the war?

for cheaper sets (<$100) I would rarely read reviews...just go w/ cheapest price and make sure the positive review rating number is high;

Since Paypal should reimburse; the seller should just give the buyer what she wants and avoid the negative impact..and save that hit for a future bigger issue.

win the battle but lose the war?
for cheaper sets ( Since Paypal should reimburse; the seller should just give the buyer what she wants and avoid the negative impact..and save that hit for a future bigger issue.
While I do think this can be smoothed over through a discussion, there is no obligation to refund or reship. This is Bricklink. I would assist in an investigation as to why the package is delivered but not received (the alleged "porch theft") but ultimately this is an issue for the buyer, not for the seller.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tballw32 said:

There isn't a shipping insurance threshold for PayPal, they have a $750 threshold for signature confirmation in the US.  Personally, I tend to make insurance mandatory and charge the buyer for $100+ purchases on BL.

I'd offer to followup with the carrier but otherwise direct her to PayPal. And her local police if it's a recurring problem.

Edited by mizeur

So currently on my BL account, my only shipping option is "request an invoice", due to me just starting this up a year ago and not wanting to deal with setting up all the shipping options. Well now I want to dive into them. I am getting tired of buyers placing an order, holding my inventory and then when I quote shipping and fee, they request to cancel or even worse, just let the order sit there.

(please hold commentary about my shipping prices being too high, I charge exact weight haha).

Anyways, I figured if I set up automated shipping options (priority / first class), I can easily bypass this because they would see the cost right up front.

For people who do this, do you enable the option in your store settings to input your own weight?? That seems cumbersome and I don't usually think in terms of Grams haha. OR do you rely on Bricklinks catalog weight and does that serve you well? My follow up to that would be... does it account for packing material weight variance? 

An example would be; lets say Set A is 1lb 11oz per Bricklink's catalog. A buyer places an order and my shipping setting is activated to display a charge for priority at the 1-2 lb range. Buyer agrees and pays (order confirmed). However, when I go to pack Set A, it is 1lb 11oz initially, but then jumps to 2lb 1oz after I pack it all up. Well that now bumps it to a different weight range and in turn a higher shipping cost that the buyer didn't pay for.

So I guess my question is, does this happen or do I have it all wrong? Maybe Bricklink's catalog accounts for variance when it calculates shipping cost? and if does not, how do you sellers account for the "packing material" variance?

1 hour ago, scatttcat said:

So currently on my BL account, my only shipping option is "request an invoice", due to me just starting this up a year ago and not wanting to deal with setting up all the shipping options. Well now I want to dive into them. I am getting tired of buyers placing an order, holding my inventory and then when I quote shipping and fee, they request to cancel or even worse, just let the order sit there.

(please hold commentary about my shipping prices being too high, I charge exact weight haha).

Anyways, I figured if I set up automated shipping options (priority / first class), I can easily bypass this because they would see the cost right up front.

For people who do this, do you enable the option in your store settings to input your own weight?? That seems cumbersome and I don't usually think in terms of Grams haha. OR do you rely on Bricklinks catalog weight and does that serve you well? My follow up to that would be... does it account for packing material weight variance? 

An example would be; lets say Set A is 1lb 11oz per Bricklink's catalog. A buyer places an order and my shipping setting is activated to display a charge for priority at the 1-2 lb range. Buyer agrees and pays (order confirmed). However, when I go to pack Set A, it is 1lb 11oz initially, but then jumps to 2lb 1oz after I pack it all up. Well that now bumps it to a different weight range and in turn a higher shipping cost that the buyer didn't pay for.

So I guess my question is, does this happen or do I have it all wrong? Maybe Bricklink's catalog accounts for variance when it calculates shipping cost? and if does not, how do you sellers account for the "packing material" variance?

As I understand it, every BL seller has the Request for Invoice option, it’s the default where nothing else exists (and you need it to open your store). So if you have just that one postage option then it’ll be that, or if the system can’t work out a valid option (no catalog dimensions or weight), then it uses that. But the problem for you is that it’s definitely a valid option, so anyone who has bought from you using it should’ve gone through with the transaction. Those orders should’ve been valid transactions so you probably need to deal with them differently in the future. They aren’t optional.

I think you’re thinking of Request for Quote which is then where the buyer can decide whether they want to buy or cancel. There will be no inventory movement until the deal goes through with RFQ.

There is an option within store settings/shipping to add a weight amount for packing materials. Personally I only charge for the weight of Lego, if packing takes it into a higher postage band then I just eat the cost. I’d rather people bought more Lego without worrying about postage costs on packing materials, than buying less Lego. The difference between bands in the UK are pretty marginal (in my mind anyway).

For those with Bricklink accounts and Ebay accounts, how would you rate your volume of sales for each? I'm pretty small time, is it worth setting up a Bricklink account for the smaller fees?

I would probably just plan on shipping to US addresses, as I really have no experience (or desire) to learn about overseas shipping.

24 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

For those with Bricklink accounts and Ebay accounts, how would you rate your volume of sales for each? I'm pretty small time, is it worth setting up a Bricklink account for the smaller fees?

I think a reasonable answer would depend on what you are selling.

If you are selling parts, very rare LEGO, or if you are willing to price your listings very low - then Bricklink would be great.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I would probably just plan on shipping to US addresses, as I really have no experience (or desire) to learn about overseas shipping.

It's always worth it to have multiple venues to sell from. The stores are super easy to setup and add inventory, unlike the long listing process on eBay.

Unless there is a huge price difference between the two, I rarely list New in Box sets in eBay. Too many scammers, and sticklers for box condition. The free shipping entitlement on eBay also hurts with returns. I've never had a complaint on Bricklink, and I often get high volume orders for international sellers. I also have a minimum purchase on bricklink which allows me to buy the cheap battlepacks without concern that shipping them won't be worth the effort.

I am incredibly biased though

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I find that my most PROFITABLE and PAINLESS sales come through BrickLink. I ship overseas at least once a year but generally, restrict myself to US and Canada markets.  You should expect BL to have mostly collectors on there and personal builders so you do have to price much lower. But the low fees make it worth it.

eBay grants me a much larger audience and number of sales than BL.  However, I pay much more in fees and shipping.  It's easier to unload more sets that you want to get rid of than BL some of the time.

To each their own.

As I understand it, every BL seller has the Request for Invoice option, it’s the default where nothing else exists (and you need it to open your store). So if you have just that one postage option then it’ll be that, or if the system can’t work out a valid option (no catalog dimensions or weight), then it uses that. But the problem for you is that it’s definitely a valid option, so anyone who has bought from you using it should’ve gone through with the transaction. Those orders should’ve been valid transactions so you probably need to deal with them differently in the future. They aren’t optional.
I think you’re thinking of Request for Quote which is then where the buyer can decide whether they want to buy or cancel. There will be no inventory movement until the deal goes through with RFQ.
There is an option within store settings/shipping to add a weight amount for packing materials. Personally I only charge for the weight of Lego, if packing takes it into a higher postage band then I just eat the cost. I’d rather people bought more Lego without worrying about postage costs on packing materials, than buying less Lego. The difference between bands in the UK are pretty marginal (in my mind anyway).

No requesting a quote i understand and it is not what I am referring too.

Unfortunately I lay out very specifically that I have a fee for handling and then I ship to exact weight.

Well a lot of times, orders come in, I quote priority shipping (at lets say 2lbs + my handling fee)... then order sits OR they request to cancel stating they didn’t know shipping would be so high.

So at that point I end up just canceling the order, but I think a lot of buyers go that route to get a quote instead of ACTUALLY going the route to get a quote. It’s quite annoying and I don’t know how to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

4 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

No requesting a quote i understand and it is not what I am referring too.

Unfortunately I lay out very specifically that I have a fee for handling and then I ship to exact weight.

Well a lot of times, orders come in, I quote priority shipping (at lets say 2lbs + my handling fee)... then order sits OR they request to cancel stating they didn’t know shipping would be so high.

So at that point I end up just canceling the order, but I think a lot of buyers go that route to get a quote instead of ACTUALLY going the route to get a quote. It’s quite annoying and I don’t know how to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

You can set what ever price or shipping you want. So just add $2 or whatever you want to the shipping cost. Have that added cost increase as the package weight does that way you cover yourself in a situation where your packing bumps you uptown the next price bracket.

• Like 1