Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

9 hours ago, scatttcat said:

So I guess my question is, does this happen or do I have it all wrong? Maybe Bricklink's catalog accounts for variance when it calculates shipping cost? and if does not, how do you sellers account for the "packing material" variance?

You need to try first before asking.  I don't mean to be rude but it is obvious you have not even attempted to create a shipping method.  There are many variables that you can put in play to make it work out.  It is a trial and error when figuring out what works for you.  Be careful with IC on PM and soon to be 1st class as Zones are not configurable in BL.  Either select the middle ground, highest possible or continue to invoice exact, but try creating a shipping method.  You will find it is easier than it appears.

15 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

You need to try first before asking.  I don't mean to be rude but it is obvious you have not even attempted to create a shipping method.  There are many variables that you can put in play to make it work out.  It is a trial and error when figuring out what works for you.  Be careful with IC on PM and soon to be 1st class as Zones are not configurable in BL.  Either select the middle ground, highest possible or continue to invoice exact, but try creating a shipping method.  You will find it is easier than it appears.

Good call, my apologies. I dove into it today and figured out a good system for 1st class and priority. I chose almost the highest tier in terms of zones, but overall I am satisfied with it.

There was something I am stuck on though I was hoping you could help with. When I part things out, I tend to put them in padded priority envelopes. Now if someone adds my "parted out" item, BrickLink will estimate the weight for the entire set, not the parted out piece, which in turn could give them a heavier weight than in reality. So I was wondering if there was a way to "tag" certain inventory items to specific shipping methods. 

Basically can I create a padded priority mail shipping method, then tag certain inventory to only display that option?

One weird work around I found is going to the specific item in my inventory, and under Package Type, choosing "manual only". That seems to remove it from all of my shipping options and only allows invoicing. That may be the best option but I was wondering if you knew of any other way to basically get a shipping profile attached to specific items.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scatttcat said:

When I part things out, I tend to put them in padded priority envelopes. Now if someone adds my "parted out" item, BrickLink will estimate the weight for the entire set, not the parted out piece, which in turn could give them a heavier weight than in reality. 

Do you mean you are selling a set shipped without the retail box?  "parting out" means selling individual pieces, and the weights would be correct.   But if you have a New, Incomplete set listing in your inventory, you can just adjust the "my weight" on the inventory page.

• Like 2

Do you mean you are selling a set shipped without the retail box?  "parting out" means selling individual pieces, and the weights would be correct.   But if you have a New, Incomplete set listing in your inventory, you can just adjust the "my weight" on the inventory page.

Yes that’s what I meant, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I need a sanity check, as my paranoia is getting the better of me. I've had a large order come in for full sets (around $800), and when googling the mailing address, I find this:

https://therealdeal.com/2016/02/09/meet-the-little-williamsburg-building-thats-home-to-over-1000-llcs/

Additionally, he just asked for a shipping quote on another $700 in sets, almost all the remaining sets I had in my inventory. These are generally priced fairly well, not super-cheap, but more reasonable than eBay.

Am I being paranoid to have that much inventory going to an address like this, that is basically a factory for temporary addresses? Am I overthinking it?

Tips or advice? 

Thanks!

Edited by Tgnmonster

15 minutes ago, Tgnmonster said:

I need a sanity check, as my paranoia is getting the better of me. I've had a large order come in for full sets (around $800), and when googling the mailing address, I find this:

https://therealdeal.com/2016/02/09/meet-the-little-williamsburg-building-thats-home-to-over-1000-llcs/

Additionally, he just asked for a shipping quote on another $700 in sets, almost all the remaining sets I had in my inventory. These are generally priced fairly well, not super-cheap, but more reasonable than eBay.

Am I being paranoid to have that much inventory going to an address like this, that is basically a factory for temporary addresses? Am I overthinking it?

Tips or advice? 

Thanks!

Please give them my information and invite them to clean me out. Exporters are the best. One cleared me out of Star Wars buildable figures once. My price was 50% of retail, but I doubled my money and got rid of over 100 terrible sets

You can ask for proof they're connected to that address. If they're a registered business that should be easy enough.

PayPal seller protection also requires signature confirmation for orders that large, so you should also confirm they have arrangements in place for that. And obviously insure the order.

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

Please give them my information and invite them to clean me out. Exporters are the best. One cleared me out of Star Wars buildable figures once. My price was 50% of retail, but I doubled my money and got rid of over 100 terrible sets

That's not necessarily freight forwarder, it's just a private mailbox front.

I couldn't find this posted elsewhere (but if it is then please move or delete) - Bricklink is releasing the finalists of their AFOL Designer Program. 12 of them have been revealed so far, and crowdfunding starts on February 1st.

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winners.page

I have no idea about the value of these for investment, but so far I am looking forward to a couple of them for personal build: "Bikes!" and "Lowenstein Castle". Hopefully they both meet the requirement for crowdfunding. 

It will be interesting to see how well this program does in general and if its something that LEGO pursues in the future. 

• Like 2

No offense to any of the creators here on BP, but they're all mediocre at best.  That some of these are finalists means that the rejects were even worse.

Being a BL exclusive could favor its value, but I don't know how any of these could reach 2x RRP.  I wonder if TLG designers will give the winner a touch-up or if we're going to get what we see.  For the ones that are any good, TLG could make a mass market version that's better designed.  For the artsy things, you're guaranteed it'll never get done again, but their display appeal is limited.  I voted for the Imagine It! Build It! entry, because I thought it most responsive to the contest theme, but I don't know what I'd ever do with the thing after building it, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to invest in a few copies, either, because I have a hard time imagining its appeal to others.

1 hour ago, hockeyweasel said:

No offense to any of the creators here on BP, but they're all mediocre at best.  That some of these are finalists means that the rejects were even worse.

Being a BL exclusive could favor its value, but I don't know how any of these could reach 2x RRP.  I wonder if TLG designers will give the winner a touch-up or if we're going to get what we see.  For the ones that are any good, TLG could make a mass market version that's better designed.  For the artsy things, you're guaranteed it'll never get done again, but their display appeal is limited.  I voted for the Imagine It! Build It! entry, because I thought it most responsive to the contest theme, but I don't know what I'd ever do with the thing after building it, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to invest in a few copies, either, because I have a hard time imagining its appeal to others.

I personally think they are awesome.  They are better than anything I could ever come up with and it's a community event.  Kudos' to everyone that entered and gave it a shot.  Differenec of opinion I know, but people took their time and effort into this stuff and if these continue, the building and competition will only get better.  

• Like 2

I confess, I didn't understand that all of these finalists are going to crowdfunding and all can potentially get made if they reach their 100% funding.  I guess the strength of each set will rest on how fast they make it to their crowdfunding goal. Now that I know that there won't just be one winner, there are sets that I'll pre-order 3 of, some I'll order just one, and some I won't support.

I agree with you that they are all better than anything that I could come up with, but a good MOC doesn't make for a good set.  If some of the more god awful sets make it, I would expect the next time (assuming there is one) to have more entries and so better sets to choose from.  Some of the Ideas rejects not based on licensed material, Rebrickable MOCs, and things that OrcKing shares ought to come over here for the next competition.

Since the original question was about their investment potential, I'd be curious to see of the 16 how many people would like to pre-order and in what quantity.

I wrote the first post before the last 4 had been released. There are some good ones in that last bunch.

Edited by hockeyweasel
  • Like 1

Some advice as to dealing with a problem buyer on bricklink.

I am new to selling on bricklink but I have been selling on Amazon/Ebay for a few years so certainly encountered some problem buyers here and there. I have high standard of packing and have been receiving 5/5 feedback with sometimes praising how well the sets are being packed.

In summary,

I sell a set which is exclusive to Asia this year (guess you know what the set is). I posted pictures of the set to show the the condition of the box. This buyer was the first customer inquiring about the set and requested to see more pictures of the box.

Prior to the buyer ordering, the buyer requested the cheap shipping option and emailed me the following,

"i know your are new to BrickLink, I have over 1000 deals on BrickLink and have sent out many packages to all of the world, also items worth much more than this set and never had a problem. Almost never use priority shipping, and signature confirmation only if asked. And when I ship with in the United States almost always ship regular airmail and no problems. Please take advice from someone who has been shipping orders for over 25 years."

The shipping option was finally agreed upon and the order was placed by the buyer.

The set was packed as my usual standard with air caps and packing sheets as cushion as other sales of the same set (and I confirmed with other buyers that they received the set in great condition and the packing was well done with no issue)

Unfortunately, USPS mishandled the package and damaged the packing corrugated box to the extent, the lego box was also damaged. In addition, there was oil stained on the packing box.

The buyer was upset about the lego box (which I could totally understand) and has been pretty aggressive in emails while we were trying to get this resolved (which I also filed a claim with USPS) as followed,

"Either send me another one ASAP and pack it properly or I would like immediate paypal refund."

"I know that it was in great condition before u packed it. I saw the pictures u sent me before. I’m willing to wait a few days. But I know after 1000’s of deals. That when u pack a box like u did so close inner box to outer there is almost always a issue. And also it should not matter what I wanted it for as investment or to build. I asked u to package it carefully and to me it was not. I agree the post office is at fault as well but ur packing was also poor. And by the the way when did I ask for 2 day shipping regular priority would have been fine. If I have to send it back to u, I’m not paying the shipping g that will be up to u to pay"

"Send me a full refund $140 to ship it back to you. $140. Also u pay all PayPal fees so total I should receive from is $14"

I explained that I will calculate the refund (instead, the buyer calculate the refund for me).

"Calculated ? It’s $140 . I’m not paying anything for this. It not my problem like I said the post office did mess up but so did u in ur packaging.I’m requesting my refund and then I will send it back"

Then I explained to the buyer that the item needs to be shipped back to me in my possession; then, I will refund (that has been always the way I sell on Amazon or Ebay)

"I sent money to u without having the item, send me the refund and I will send to u"

????

I am in ?with this bricklink member (who is the buyer and seller).

Greatly appreciate any advice or suggestion.

Email them a prepaid return shipping label.  When the tracking shows "acceptance" by the carrier, send them their $140 back.  Don't send a replacement, and don't message any more than the basic facts.

I have over 10,000 deals on BL and I don't ever throw that in a sellers face.  For every AHOL on BL, there are 999 great customers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

Email them a prepaid return shipping label.  When the tracking shows "acceptance" by the carrier, send them their $140 back.  Don't send a replacement, and don't message any more than the basic facts.

I have over 10,000 deals on BL and I don't ever throw that in a sellers face.  For every AHOL on BL, there are 999 great customers.

Actually, that is what I was thinking of doing. Emailing the buyer the prepaid shipping label. 

Personally, I would not refund only because shipping label was scanned as accepted. This buyer has been a pain in the arse, and there is no telling that he would ship you back a different set or a box of trash. I would not bend over backwards for this unreasonable buyer that thinks he can make demands from a transaction with a stranger on the internet.

There is nothing in his messages to suggest that he is an upstanding citizen, so I would be weary. He would get his refund when I get the item back, period. That is how everyone else’s return policy works.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, msdontplay01 said:

Personally, I would not refund only because shipping label was scanned as accepted. This buyer has been a pain in the arse, and there is no telling that he would ship you back a different set or a box of trash. I would not bend over backwards for this unreasonable buyer that thinks he can make demands from a transaction with a stranger on the internet.

There is nothing in his messages to suggest that he is an upstanding citizen, so I would be weary. He would get his refund when I get the item back, period. That is how everyone else’s return policy works.

This is the correct advice.  Don't ever issue a refund without having the item in hand.

1 hour ago, msdontplay01 said:

I would agree. I will only refund until I get the set back and make sure the set is sealed. It is a shame that my first sale in Bricklink turned so sour.

Is there a way to block certain bricklink members from placing orders?

4 minutes ago, tyclin said:

I would agree. I will only refund until I get the set back and make sure the set is sealed. It is a shame that my first sale in Bricklink turned so sour.

Is there a way to block certain bricklink members from placing orders?

Yes. Go to the "stop list" option under the problem center list on your main profile page. If you don't mind, can you please PM me the user ID of this ****** canoe so I can add him to my blocked list? I do a lot of business on BL and luckily have never had an incident as bad as yours. I like to be as proactive as possible in avoiding such obvious losers. Thank you. 

IMG_0928.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Can someone recommend the best way (cost effective, efficient, easy) to get hunderd of shiney smooth black plate pieces (various sizes)...basically have a MOC in mind of modifying Kylo Ren's Shuttle to proper wing movement and look (I know Jang also did one). 

SaH or BL

8 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

Since he's just getting back into LEGO, I figured those abbreviations might not mean anything yet. Could be wrong. 

I know them...but yeah...acronyms and abbreviations in general are the worse part of this website...as a newb

well this process has forced me to get better acquainted w/ BL...figuring out that website has been a process 4shure.  Finally reached a point where I can identify a single piece (2x4 plate) anmd narrow down the sellers by price...would still like to drill down to only US sellers...cuz kinda weird buying internationally for about $5 worth of parts.

It's frustrating...start off looking for 1 thing...and then I find myself perusing everyone's shop...prices vary...and there's always the Shipping Cost thing hanging over me like a spectre...and finally I just give-up.  I've tried to shop at BL on multiple occasions for the past 3 months and EVERTIME...walk away and end up just using EBAY. Maybe I just need to pop my BL cherry and it will get easier.