Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

9 hours ago, scatttcat said:

So I guess my question is, does this happen or do I have it all wrong? Maybe Bricklink's catalog accounts for variance when it calculates shipping cost? and if does not, how do you sellers account for the "packing material" variance?

You need to try first before asking.  I don't mean to be rude but it is obvious you have not even attempted to create a shipping method.  There are many variables that you can put in play to make it work out.  It is a trial and error when figuring out what works for you.  Be careful with IC on PM and soon to be 1st class as Zones are not configurable in BL.  Either select the middle ground, highest possible or continue to invoice exact, but try creating a shipping method.  You will find it is easier than it appears.

15 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

You need to try first before asking.  I don't mean to be rude but it is obvious you have not even attempted to create a shipping method.  There are many variables that you can put in play to make it work out.  It is a trial and error when figuring out what works for you.  Be careful with IC on PM and soon to be 1st class as Zones are not configurable in BL.  Either select the middle ground, highest possible or continue to invoice exact, but try creating a shipping method.  You will find it is easier than it appears.

Good call, my apologies. I dove into it today and figured out a good system for 1st class and priority. I chose almost the highest tier in terms of zones, but overall I am satisfied with it.

There was something I am stuck on though I was hoping you could help with. When I part things out, I tend to put them in padded priority envelopes. Now if someone adds my "parted out" item, BrickLink will estimate the weight for the entire set, not the parted out piece, which in turn could give them a heavier weight than in reality. So I was wondering if there was a way to "tag" certain inventory items to specific shipping methods. 

Basically can I create a padded priority mail shipping method, then tag certain inventory to only display that option?

One weird work around I found is going to the specific item in my inventory, and under Package Type, choosing "manual only". That seems to remove it from all of my shipping options and only allows invoicing. That may be the best option but I was wondering if you knew of any other way to basically get a shipping profile attached to specific items.

Thanks for any help!

8 hours ago, scatttcat said:

When I part things out, I tend to put them in padded priority envelopes. Now if someone adds my "parted out" item, BrickLink will estimate the weight for the entire set, not the parted out piece, which in turn could give them a heavier weight than in reality. 

Do you mean you are selling a set shipped without the retail box?  "parting out" means selling individual pieces, and the weights would be correct.   But if you have a New, Incomplete set listing in your inventory, you can just adjust the "my weight" on the inventory page.

• Like 2

Do you mean you are selling a set shipped without the retail box?  "parting out" means selling individual pieces, and the weights would be correct.   But if you have a New, Incomplete set listing in your inventory, you can just adjust the "my weight" on the inventory page.

Yes that’s what I meant, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I need a sanity check, as my paranoia is getting the better of me. I've had a large order come in for full sets (around $800), and when googling the mailing address, I find this:

https://therealdeal.com/2016/02/09/meet-the-little-williamsburg-building-thats-home-to-over-1000-llcs/

Additionally, he just asked for a shipping quote on another $700 in sets, almost all the remaining sets I had in my inventory. These are generally priced fairly well, not super-cheap, but more reasonable than eBay.

Am I being paranoid to have that much inventory going to an address like this, that is basically a factory for temporary addresses? Am I overthinking it?

Tips or advice? 

Thanks!

Edited by Tgnmonster

15 minutes ago, Tgnmonster said:

I need a sanity check, as my paranoia is getting the better of me. I've had a large order come in for full sets (around $800), and when googling the mailing address, I find this:

https://therealdeal.com/2016/02/09/meet-the-little-williamsburg-building-thats-home-to-over-1000-llcs/

Additionally, he just asked for a shipping quote on another $700 in sets, almost all the remaining sets I had in my inventory. These are generally priced fairly well, not super-cheap, but more reasonable than eBay.

Am I being paranoid to have that much inventory going to an address like this, that is basically a factory for temporary addresses? Am I overthinking it?

Tips or advice? 

Thanks!

Please give them my information and invite them to clean me out. Exporters are the best. One cleared me out of Star Wars buildable figures once. My price was 50% of retail, but I doubled my money and got rid of over 100 terrible sets

You can ask for proof they're connected to that address. If they're a registered business that should be easy enough.

PayPal seller protection also requires signature confirmation for orders that large, so you should also confirm they have arrangements in place for that. And obviously insure the order.

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

Please give them my information and invite them to clean me out. Exporters are the best. One cleared me out of Star Wars buildable figures once. My price was 50% of retail, but I doubled my money and got rid of over 100 terrible sets

That's not necessarily freight forwarder, it's just a private mailbox front.