Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

21 minutes ago, JOEBRICK376 said:

If I remember correctly he owns Bricklink separate from Nexon. So shouldn't be included. 

BrickLink are registered as two separate and independent companies. BrickLink HK Ltd (Registered in Hong Kong) and BrickLink corporation (registered in California.

Share Capital of BrickLink HK Ltd is USD $9,800,000. 

49 minutes ago, 4cs said:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I wonder why BL doesn't acknowledge these outages and give some time of update or communication on IG or FB.

Because they don't care.  Being understaffed is the biggest problem, but at the top there isn't a care in the world as to the daily comings and goings of the site.  The blatant disregard for the constant issues with the site says all you need to know.  It would be great if a new owner took over that actually cared about Lego and improving the site.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Because they don't care.  Being understaffed is the biggest problem, but at the top there isn't a care in the world as to the daily comings and goings of the site.  The blatant disregard for the constant issues with the site says all you need to know.  It would be great if a new owner took over that actually cared about Lego and improving the site.

Financial issues are usually the biggest reasons websites suck. It is expensive maintaining and improving website quality.

4 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

So Shop.Lego.com sucks because Lego has no money?

I should have said "reasons" instead of issues. Lego chooses to put their money elsewhere. I rarely have any issues on their site, though it's a little tough to maneuver.

It's possible Bricklink is trying to milk profit however they can, at the expense of a great website. Or it's possible the money isn't there, for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

I should have said "reasons" instead of issues. Lego chooses to put their money elsewhere. I rarely have any issues on their site, though it's a little tough to maneuver.

It's possible Bricklink is trying to milk profit however they can, at the expense of a great website. Or it's possible the money isn't there, for whatever reason.

Exactly, they choose to not invest money into that portion of their business even as members(or patrons in Lego's sense) constantly complain about the web issues with their respective sites.   To me, that shows a disconnect between the owner and users in the case of Bricklink.  The site is just a part of a portfolio to him, and that's fine, but it hurts the business and it's going to shove sellers and buyers alike from the site as others get better and can compete.  

18 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I agree it could be so much better. It's a frustrating site to use for both buyer and seller.

I wish I owned BL with many of you as PAID helpers as well as a fully staffed IT and Admin department.   It is embarrassing.  ALso, I would raise 3% to 5% to cover costs.   Sorry but let's be real 3% is so cheap.  It is wonderful, but I woudl rather pay 5% and have better everything AND ADVERTISING.  

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, LegoMan1212 said:

I wish I owned BL with many of you as PAID helpers as well as a fully staffed IT and Admin department.   It is embarrassing.  ALso, I would raise 3% to 5% to cover costs.   Sorry but let's be real 3% is so cheap.  It is wonderful, but I woudl rather pay 5% and have better everything AND ADVERTISING.  

Be very careful what you wish for next time.

• Thanks 1

LEGO is going to pursue the AFOL Design project?  So what will be the difference between Bricklink AFOL Design and LEGO Ideas?  My best guess answer, "Our answer is 'It's too soon to know the answer to that' but really we have a plan in the works that I'm sure no AFOL will like."

For LEGO to initiate the above interview, they sure had a whole lot of "non-answers."

I have a song going through my head... "It's the end of the world as we know it..."  Sadly, I'm not feeling fine.  In fact, I feel a little sick after reading the above interview.

I haven't been a big fan of Brickowl but I foresee another brick market place arising in the future.  How long until LEGO tries to acquire that one too?

LEGO is going to pursue the AFOL Design project?  So what will be the difference between Bricklink AFOL Design and LEGO Ideas?  My best guess answer, "Our answer is 'It's too soon to know the answer to that' but really we have a plan in the works that I'm sure no AFOL will like."
For LEGO to initiate the above interview, they sure had a whole lot of "non-answers."
I have a song going through my head... "It's the end of the world as we know it..."  Sadly, I'm not feeling fine.  In fact, I feel a little sick after reading the above interview.
I haven't been a big fan of Brickowl but I foresee another brick market place arising in the future.  How long until LEGO tries to acquire that one too?
The AFOL Design project was already run by LEGO (together with BL).

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

The AFOL Design project was already run by LEGO (together with BL).

I understood that.  But now that LEGO is running the AFOL Designer program themselves, what will be the difference with LEGO Ideas? 

LEGO fans submitting projects, approved by other LEGO fans and then put into production by LEGO.  Sounds pretty much the same, except higher probability the AFOL projects will go into production.  LEGO wants to continue the AFOL Design project, which I think is good, but I don't see the difference between the Ideas platform.  Did the AFOL Designers get any kind of cut from their sets being chosen, like creators for Ideas sets?  That is why I'm asking, what will the difference be?

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Did the AFOL Designers get any kind of cut from their sets being chosen, like creators for Ideas sets?  That is why I'm asking, what will the difference be?

I believe they did, I don't remember the number thrown out, but I do remember it being higher than the rumored Ideas percentage of 1-2%.

• Thanks 1

Guest betsy805

How do I do a mass sale on items in bricklink? I want to put everything at 20% off to start the liquidation process but can't figure out a way to do that without going in to each individual lot.  It's been a fun ride, but now that I'm juggling work, kids select sports teams x2 and teacher certification my time is no longer my own ;)   

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.  Was making that way harder than it needed to be!

Edited by betsy805

8 minutes ago, betsy805 said:

How do I do a mass sale on items in bricklink? I want to put everything at 20% off to start the liquidation process but can't figure out a way to do that without going in to each individual lot.  It's been a fun ride, but now that I'm juggling work, kids select sports teams x2 and teacher certification my time is no longer my own ;)   

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.  Was making that way harder than it needed to be!

What’s your store name?