Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

I am guessing here, but lego may use this purchase to amplify the secondary market for their sets as expensive collectibles.  This will then justify and allow them to keep pricing their new sets at stupid prices.  They already make too many, which is what bankrupted them almost, the first time.  So in the best conflict of interest possible, they juice the secondary market to boost the primary market.  Interestingly without the appreciating secondary market they are nothing but overpriced plastic toys destined for oblivion.  Big business plays the long game.

3 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

What’s to stop LEGO from just instituting a SAH ban for everyone who sells on Bricklink? They will presumably have all the seller data after the Bricklink acquisition?

That would be biting the hand that feeds them, or whatever the opposite of that is. Now they are going to double dip on every set as they will get money from the original purchase plus comms every time the set or the parts are resold plus they have all the customer data.

If they had wanted to eliminate resellers entirely, they could and would have done so by now. What I think is they are now going to draw up the rules of engagement and enforce stricter criteria e.g. weeding out undesirable sellers, establishing maximum selling prices, eliminating custom items that do not fit in with TLG philosophy and seeing which sets or parts they should remake due to demand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

That would be biting the hand that feeds them, or whatever the opposite of that is. Now they are going to double dip on every set as they will get money from the original purchase plus comms every time the set or the parts are resold plus they have all the customer data.

If they had wanted to eliminate resellers entirely, they could and would have done so by now. What I think is they are now going to draw up the rules of engagement and enforce stricter criteria e.g. weeding out undesirable sellers, establishing maximum selling prices, eliminating custom items that do not fit in with TLG philosophy and seeing which sets or parts they should remake due to demand.

Assuming LEGO has a good long term plan that does not involve significant reductions in production (thus eliminating the need for resellers to help absorb excess inventory) I agree with you. Push out sellers with negative feedback beyond a certain threshold (which ups the anti for good quality parts and good customer service), and then maybe push out some of the really small stores or cap the number of stores that can be opened at any time. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will lead to a better user experience for buyers and mostly business as usual for most sellers with just a tightening of expectations, just as long as they don't have the LEGO Shop at Home crew working on the website. I certainly understand where the doom and gloom is coming from, and I could be wrong and this could be phase 1 in the 2020 LEGO aftermarket purge, but  I do believe that LEGO must know they must at least tolerate resellers if they want to survive. Either way, next year will be interesting...