Set Name: Grand Carousel
Set Number: 10196
Theme: Creator, Expert, Exclusive, Sculptures
Years Available at Retail : 2009 to 2011
Retaile Price: $249.99
# of Elements: 3,263
# of Minifigs: 9

Introduction :

Based on 2009 threads I've read, the set was released to mixed reviews. However, 10196 has aged very well, became an AFOL favortie, and is now among the most expensive sets to purchase.

I waited nearly 2 years before finally finding a 10196 that was a "decent" deal (meaning combination of price and condition)

Box and Instructions:

The box is about the same size as the Ewok Village and recent modular buildings. It measures out to 18.80" x 22.80" x 3.50". The Lego art design dept. did a wonderful job with this one. There are many pictures of the set on the box in "play fashion". One of the more interesting pictures is the one that show exposed elements under the rooftop tent.

post-3743-0-49723500-1426536075_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-85749500-1426536078_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-58406900-1426536080_thumb.jp

2 Instructions booklets are included.

post-3743-0-51468000-1426536084_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-77877000-1426536088_thumb.jp

Elements:

Lego included 25 main bags of elements. 10196 contains 4 "still exclusive to this set" elements plus Power Functions, it is critical to find the "right" set. The exclusive elements are the sound brick, 48x48 green base plate, 8 tan beards and 8 white cloth pirate sails that are used at the rooftop tent.

This is one set where it doesn't make much sense to piece it together (aka "bricklink it") as the cost of used elements before postage fees totals around the same price it sells for used. The sails are usually sold in pairs and in lots of 4 or 8 (usually still listed at $80-$100 each per sail)

For more pictures, information, and pricing about elements, please refer to

post-3743-0-56498800-1426666615_thumb.jp

• Like 8

Starting the build.

the rare baseplate

post-3743-0-17293200-1426536415_thumb.jp

nearly done building the minifigure control deck and area where the Power Function motor and battery box sit.

post-3743-0-41680900-1426536418_thumb.jp

the main elements that will make up the carousel's rotating floor. notice the pair of small wheels & tires on each set (same ones used in Emmet's car from The Double-Decker Couch set)

post-3743-0-73487500-1426536420_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-07948400-1426536437_thumb.jp

At this step, the manual suggests ti turn on the motor.  The bottom floor should spin around both clockwise and counter-clockwise depending on the direction you push the power switch.

post-3743-0-55704600-1426536432_thumb.jp

Elements added that serve as vertical guides for the carousel's horses and sleds (Light Bluish Gray antennas and bars stop rings.

post-3743-0-08857800-1426536425_thumb.jp

The inner casing assembled. .

post-3743-0-46223100-1426536440_thumb.jp

8 White technic axle bars with Black connectors added.  These will support the yet to be built spinning technic elements (will go under the tent) that move the carousel's horses and sleds (4 ways : left, right, up, down).

post-3743-0-35864200-1426536429_thumb.jp

Pretty much another view of the picture above. The only difference is that both sides of the inner structure is now connected by dark blue  jumpers and 1x16 technic bricks (w/ holes for "Black Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise WITH Center Slots")

post-3743-0-61491200-1426536443_thumb.jp

Beginning the upper portion / roof of the set.  This section will rotate along with the bottom to move the horses and sleds. 

We begin by building 2 rings (1 outer and 1).  The outer ring will connect to the inner one.  these 8 connections points will feature the technic elements (such as pins & lift-arms ) along with 8 tires.  when the circles rotate clockwise (or counter-clockwise, the lift-arms and axles will crack up ( to pull each Carousel ride up) and down (to push each Carousel ride up down).

post-3743-0-00716800-1426548141_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-07708600-1426548144_thumb.jp

The sound brick is installed.  Click the link below to hear the music.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy59s6913h0nl08/Lego_10196.m4a?dl=0

post-3743-0-38939100-1426548146_thumb.jp

When the carousel's rides stops moving up and down, the problem is 90% of the time due to one of the wheels not touching the "track" made of the 12 flat white tiles.  This is one part of the design that really needs improvement.

post-3743-0-47118700-1426548149_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-13930600-1426548152_thumb.jp

Here is another close-up of the sound brick and it's orange button.

post-3743-0-90436900-1426548155_thumb.jp

When the upper section rotates, the orange button is clicked to start the music.

post-3743-0-87056200-1426548153_thumb.jp

The final building steps.

8 of each.  These will decorate the outer top sides just under the 8 white sails.

post-3743-0-31592200-1426550259_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-21252700-1426550261_thumb.jp

3 of the 8 sails were dirty with dust.  I was able to clean them effectively using a 20v cordless handheld vacuum.  As you can tell by the comparison pics, it worked better than expected.  Sorry, the 2nd photo didn't come out clear.

post-3743-0-27827200-1426550263_thumb.jppost-3743-0-47144500-1426550265_thumb.jp

4of the sails are installed including the 3 that were cleaned.  Now we just need to install the remaining 4 sails and the pearl gold flag section.

post-3743-0-53422500-1426550268_thumb.jp

after building 10196, i'll probably spring for a Fairgrounds Mixer since Power Functions can be added.   I have an extra battery pack, motor and sound brick to use with it so buying that set makes sense.

That's awesome; it's such a great set. Hopefully there is some sort of remake or similar set I can grab someday, because I definitely can't justify purchasing one at current prices.

• Like 1

The mixer just doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. Ultimately I think I just am looking for a massive 3000+ piece set to build but I'm just not interested in Death Stars, Sandcrawlers, Helicarriers, Opera Houses or Tower Bridges. Then I look back at sets like the Grand Carousel, Eiffel Tower, etc. and lament missing out on them. 

For now I just have to settle for ~2000 piece sets and living vicariously through the photos you've posted. :P

Edited by bricketycricket
  • Like 1

Color me jealous. Great pics too... We've always eyed this as a set we'd like to have. The brick built horses are kind of cheesy looking to me but the rest looks amazing.

I'm afraid you could be disappointed by the mixer. It's definitely neat but not nearly as grand!

The brick-built horses are kind of cheesy but considering the vintage style achieved by the main attraction itself they fit well with the entire motif of classic amusements. I do like the horses with printing from the Winter Village Market better which is only a personal preference. Being a merry-go-round, the real beauty is the fancy facade in its artistic details because honestly it just like a Ferris wheel are the two dullest rides to still exist yet even so any theme park would seem incomplete without either.

I am so jealous and yet so happy for you. This set would be a bigger prize to me than the UCS MF. I hope to one day be able to own and build one just as you have.

Very nice find and build. :)

Thank you for the kind words.

I am able to get many of my build / review sets by selling off sets. Since I'm both a 50% AFOL and 50% investor, I don't mind selling sets that retired 2 years ago and buying something like this. Sure, my ROI won't be high as buying more sets that will retire soon but I can still see 10-25% annual growth as long as it's not refreshed.

I agree about the build and it being a bigger prize.

I did find this build more exciting than 10179 (prob due to many colors and the smaller footprint). I think my fav builds are still both Sandcrawlers and the 41999 Crawler. However, this set is def 4th on the list.

If only I was into Lego again during 2010. I would have purchased many 10196s... ...and to think about all the times it must have been on-sale at Amazon, Target, etc...

Color me jealous. Great pics too... We've always eyed this as a set we'd like to have. The brick built horses are kind of cheesy looking to me but the rest looks amazing.

I'm afraid you could be disappointed by the mixer. It's definitely neat but not nearly as grand!

I would only build the Mixer with PF. maybe if Lego released it with PF, reflective elements/ stickers, and lights, it would have more interest in it?

I would only build the Mixer with PF. maybe if Lego released it with PF, reflective elements/ stickers, and lights, it would have more interest in it?

I think so. In my opinion, the set would be much improved by scrapping the truck and other side pieces, and using those pieces to make the mixer itself larger and more decorated. And with added power functions, as you said.

I think so. In my opinion, the set would be much improved by scrapping the truck and other side pieces, and using those pieces to make the mixer itself larger and more decorated. And with added power functions, as you said.

Well for giggles, we hooked ours up to a motor and solar power panel (I posted that vid in the mixel thread I think) but the panel didn't provide enough juice to spin it very well. Hooking to batteries makes it fly. Makes sense to add the puker minifig after seeing it rip around powered up.

I agree with brickety - too many of the pieces are used in the "extras" although the fact that it loads up onto the truck is pretty ingenious. The Grand Carousel uses all the parts for the ride itself - it has such nice detail, especially in the top ring. The mixer ride is just bleh in comparison. Even the "motor" area of the GC has a platform for the operator. For the mixer you just remove the handle, add motor and battery pack... if you want something fancier, build it yourself.

Don't get me wrong though - for those without the GC or those who have a hankering to make a Lego amusement part, the mixer is a must have. The truth is, if I think of our local "kiddie ride park" the ferris wheel, though old, is ornate in comparison to the crappy old tea cup spinning rides.

Anyways, I must repeat that I'm totally jealous of the GC in your collection. :)

The motor drive design on the GC is in my opinion quite flawed. It puts great stress on the whole structure.  When I get a little extra time I am gonna try to modify it with some of the smallest pf motors attached to the wheels on the top. Notice if you take the motor off and just try spinning it from the top how smooth it is compared with the motor tire drive basically compressing the whole structure. However it will require additional vertical beams or something to transfer the motion. This is my biggest complaint on what is otherwise perhaps my favorite set of all time, well maybe just behind Jurgens PF backhoe. I will say also of all my lego sets, this is the one that gets the most likes from people who otherwise have no interest in lego, except for engineers who all seem to dig Jurgens stuff as it has controls just like the real deal, but those are not factory lego sets anyway

Edited by junkrigger
  • Like 1

First off, thank you for the review.  Awesome job, with great photos.  I really enjoyed reading it.

Now, my 10196 story (which I'm mentioned on BP before)...

When this set was out, my daughter was probably 1-2 years old, and we had just gotten Legoland California passes.  I was still in my Dark Ages.  I remember seeing this set on display in The Big Shop (the primary retail store at Legoland).  I remember looking at the price and saying, "who would pay $250 for a Lego set?"

Wow.  Don't those words hurt me today?

If I could go back in time, I would have bought a mountain of these.  I would love to have one of these on display.  I do like your strategy for investing in one, and maybe someday, I will use that same strategy to buy one for myself.

I actually started to BL one of these in 2013.  I'm probably 2/3ds of the way there.  Those pesky unique elements make it very hard to do this.  Someone here on BP, awhile back, posted a scan of the sail, with a ruler.  I have that saved.  One idea I've had is to custom cut some material from a fabric store to replicate the sails.  Another idea I have is to create sail out of bricks, similar to the way the Millenium Falcon (7965) opens up.

About this time last year, I got a great MOC idea (which I refuse to share), but involves doing a themed/modified 10196.  Unfortunately, it so far down my list of things to do right now, that it's going to be awhile before I get to it.  It does involve organ music, though (and hooking in an iPod mini instead of a sound brick) and a couple of other cool things.  But, that's for another time, another day, sometime from now.

Again, thanks for posting your build!  Loved it!

Thanks for the great review.

My personal experience with building this set was mixed:

Pro: the set is beautiful, the kids love to play with it

Against: it is very hard to keep it in its original rotating state, reparations are hard, the wheel is not optimal in terms of pressure balance, the white sails get dirty, the build is repetitive

Overall, I wasn't surprised to see it go fast, as it received quite some remarks from the community.

Here is a video recently taken of the set without my commentary. Near the end of the video, I included how to remove 1 of the 8 sails for turning off the music box.

Behold the mighty hands of jaisonline!

The sound brick's music can be heard and compared to the amount of noise the PF motor, spinning tire and carousel's elements produce.

Man that is one loud motor. Haha. I can literally hear those tires grind and turn. Pretty cool getting to listen to the music box finally so thank you.

I also included an "Easter Egg" since April is 2 weeks away.

....? Get off the ride kids! Run away, it's the Joker! :scared:

From my experience having recently built this set, I agree with folks about 10196's design could have been better.  The set had mixed reviews when released in 2009 especially around the design and open exposure of the PF and rotating tire elements.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 10196 one of the early non-Technic sets (if not the first) that used pretty much all included Technic elements for the main feature (rotation).  Sure sets like 10179 used Technic elements but only for stricture stability and strength.  I think the 75059 Sandcrawler and maybe the Fairgrounds Mixer sets are recent sets that use Technic elements for a fair # of features and not just stability / strength