9467 - The Ghost Train

StarPod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest AnnexBrett

This is how I received my Ghost Trains today :( Shipped in a Xmas style plastic bag, no box, nothing... All the boxes are crushed, water damaged, pre-opened too. Of course they are going back! Upon calling customer service the agent told me thats their standard shipping method (plastic bag). Brought to me by SEARS.CA

This is how I received my Ghost Trains today :(

Shipped in a Xmas style plastic bag, no box, nothing... All the boxes are crushed, water damaged, pre-opened too. Of course they are going back! Upon calling customer service the agent told me thats their standard shipping method (plastic bag).

Brought to me by SEARS.CA

Ouch, that is bad.

Shipped in a Xmas style plastic bag, no box, nothing... All the boxes are crushed, water damaged, pre-opened too. Of course they are going back! Upon calling customer service the agent told me thats their standard shipping method (plastic bag).

Who in their right mind believes shipping Lego sets in a plastic bag is ok? Even a person who doesn't want a perfect box would be disappointed by this.

That is horrible, what is wrong with people?? Sorry to see that, I know how it feels......

Awwwwwww crap! I have a bunch of stuff ordered from them, two ghost trains, two morias, two vampyre castles and some other minor battle packs. If this is how this stuff comes in I don't know what I'm going to do. I've already received two ghost trains and two crazy scientists from them, they were decent box wise (not perfect though) but I also picked them up from the local Sears instead of having them mailed straight away to my address. Too bad, its the only gift card my RBC reward points convert too that allows me to buy Lego.

Makes me cringe seeing that.

That being said, I have received packages from Amazon.de that have had water damage. Water got into the packing carton, no security with the Lego and what do you know, Lego boxes that got wet and crushed. The worst part? They were 5 2507 Ninjago Fire Temples. The best part? Their customer service is second to none, they said I could keep the 5 damaged sets to do whatever with, and have issued me 5 replacements. Just hoping the 5 that get here are in a more satisfactory condition because last I saw they had sold out of them

I think it just depends on what price you get in at. I have just one at $54 and feel like I should be able to double that pretty easily. But that is just my personal strategy on some of my sets I buy. Expecting $300 down the road for this one doesn't seem feasible.

if the MF does well after EOL, this will be the sleeper. everyone is concentrating on the House, Zombies, and Castle. i have many G-Trains.

I have a lot riding on MFs so I hope your "$300" estimate is dead on :)

The fact that the Ghost Train does not come Power Functions compatible will hurt and slow it's chances of performing extremely well in the aftermarket in my opinion. I do not think the Ghost Train will see numbers like the Emerald Night and Maersk Train. The Ghost Train is not in the same league in my opinion. While I still think the Ghost Train could perform well, I don't see it ever going double over retail like the Emerald Night already has and the Maersk Train will probably later this year. This is all just my opinion and hopefully I'm wrong and the Ghost Train brings in big numbers, but I just don't see it happening.

Forget about the "train" aspect for a minute. Its the second largest Monster Fighter set (excluding the Haunted House). Its coincidence that they chose to make it look like a train. It wasn't designed to run on the electric rail system, and if it had been it would have been way more expensive. There;s no reason to think it won't perform well in retirement unless you're discounting the entire theme of Monster Fighters. Perhaps expecting $300 might be pushing it, at least in the first year of EOL, but look how well the zombie set has been doing. There's big demand for this theme, and this set has been available at a decent discount so I'm not sure why there's so much hate on the boards for it. I think it will be be a very solid performer by Christmas next year when you can't find MF on retail shelves anymore. If you paid less than $60 for it you should easily double your money.

I still think it will perform well, but the chances of it doubling retail as easily as some previous trains have I feel is unlikely. It could still double in retail one day, but i feel it will take longer to do so for two reasons. First this train has been discounted heavily for the past couple months. Secondly this train is not near as popular among train fans as the two trains I talked about in my previous posts. As of right now there is a much bigger Lego train following than there is Monseter Fighters following. Yes Monster Fighters are extremely popular, but not near as popular as the train following. The reason I make this point is because the majority of people that will be purchasing the Ghost Train for a higher price on the secondary market will be Monster Fighter fans, and not your typical train fans. Therefore there will be a smaller market and less demand for the Ghost Train than other non themed trains like the EM and MT that collectors love and collect. This is why i feel the Ghost Train may not do as well as some may think. Also, while the Zombies set has done extremely well, it is a set that was only available a very limited time that flew under everyone's radar. The Ghost Train has not flown under the radar as much as the Zombies set did and it has been available for a much longer period, meaning more people have had the chance to hoard them away. Also the Zombies set is extremely minifigure driven, and the Ghost Train isn't. I am not hating on the Ghost Train, just stating my opinions on how I think it will perform compared to other trains of the past. I myself have Ghost Trains hoarded away, but I'd trade them up for EM's or MT's any day of the week. Again I like the Ghost Train and think it's a great set. But as a train collector I, and many other train collectors don't find the Ghost Train to be a set they have to have. Instead it's a Monster Fighters set that all Monster Fighter collectors have to have.

Ghost Trains and one of the Vampire Castles came in from Sears.ca. The boxes are okay, not mint though. The corners have slight wear on them. I believe they ship from the Regina depot so there is probably some jostling about between here and there. I'm basically getting these for 'free', I'm converting RBC reward points (credit card) to Sears gift cards. Sears.ca doesn't have the greatest selection but they do have Monster Fighters. Speaking of which, I think the whole theme is a winner. The positives add up to future $$$$. Unique theme with very unique mini-figures Glow in the dark bricks AND minifigs. Cool designs, with an element of steampunk (planes, trains and automobiles and a heli!) Appeals to young and old, guy or girl. EOL'ed in under a year if the rumors turn out to be right. Our very own Emazers is betting the ranch on this theme! And last but not least.... the only Lego theme with its very own holiday... Halloween!!! North America's second favourite holdiday. Look.... its simple, Maersk Train is cool and the trains do well in the secondary market, but I will go out on a limb here and say Ghost Train will blow them out of the water every year about the time October rolls around. At about the 15th of October you will be able to hang a Buy it Now shingle on your ebay auction with some sort of ridiculously high sum and these things will sell. Not only sell, but get opened and displayed, forever removing New in Box supply out of the market. Monster Fighters will be the one Lego theme that will spike brickpicker priceguide data higher already in September and stay that way straight through Christmas. This is better than gold at $250/oz. back in 2001.

Not sure why people are comparing the Ghost Train to Emerald Night and Maersk Train sets. EM and MTs mimic real-life trains. The Ghost Train is a goofy fantasy set. It's like comparing plantains and bananas.

If it easily accepted PFs, that would be a major plus. However, a Lego train collector can retrofit it ; it just won't be an easy plug and play job.

I just wish the set came with a Goblin, Troll, Witch or something to make it more attractive in the secondary market.

The GT will be fine long term. I'll be happy for $150 two years after EOL. Anything more is sweat icing.

p.s. i can't wait to have one go choo choo around the xmas tree. i'll just need to make a few zombie santas. i'm sure the wife will just love it :(