9467 - The Ghost Train

StarPod

Not sure why people are comparing the Ghost Train to Emerald Night and Maersk Train sets. EM and MTs mimic real-life trains. The Ghost Train is a goofy fantasy set. It's like comparing plantains and bananas.

If it easily accepted PFs, that would be a major plus. However, a Lego train collector can retrofit it ; it just won't be an easy plug and play job.

I just wish the set came with a Goblin, Troll, Witch or something to make it more attractive in the secondary market.

The GT will be fine long term. I'll be happy for $150 two years after EOL. Anything more is sweat icing.

p.s. i can't wait to have one go choo choo around the xmas tree. i'll just need to make a few zombie santas. i'm sure the wife will just love it :(

Exactly the point I was trying to make before! Glad someone else is on the same page as me ;)

• 1 month later...

All things considered....It doesn't have a track, it has one box car and two mini blah ones. I agree it is a nifty set, 3rd IMO of the top three sets of Monster Fighters (HH & VC). But do you think it will be as safe as a regular train set does in the EOL market? I'm not saying it is going to do bad because I don't believe that, but just comparatively speaking to a city train. I think the entertainment value is on a different scale. Thoughts?

All things considered....It doesn't have a track, it has one box car and two mini blah ones. I agree it is a nifty set, 3rd IMO of the top three sets of Monster Fighters (HH & VC). But do you think it will be as safe as a regular train set does in the EOL market? I'm not saying it is going to do bad because I don't believe that, but just comparatively speaking to a city train. I think the entertainment value is on a different scale. Thoughts?

Here is a link to a thread talking about the Ghost Train.

Ha ha ha! That's a good one.

Back to the original question, it is and it isn't.

Yes, it is a train in general.

And no, because it isn't based on anything real and you have to modify it to work like one.

Still, it's a lot better than whatever this 'thing' was.

Haha it is much better than the Time Cruisers train! Sadly it's a lot more similar to the Time Cruisers train than a regular train like the Maersk Train. And yes it is a train, but it's not a real train. As I've stated before, the Ghost Train won't perform as well from an investment standpoint as regular trains like the Maersk Train, Emerald Night, Santa Fe's, etc. have performed. Just my opinion.....

• 3 months later...

I was just looking at Amazon at the Ghost Train, a set that I've been on the fence about stocking up on.  In one of the reviews (may be someone on BP) they reference the 6497-1: Twisted Time Train for a set comparison.  Neither of the sets are Lego train track compatible like the others in the train theme.  They look similar, too.  When I looked it up in the price index, I saw that it is around MSRP after all these years.  What I don't see though is if it took a dip when GT came out or if it spiked in the late 90's.  Also, I realize that it may not be a good comparison at all due to the number of pieces, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.  I guess bottom line is I continue to be on the fence, but after seeing the data on 6497 I may have fallen to the side of not buying. 

I think that the popularity of the other MF sets will prop up the value of the GT.  GT will be a value compared to the cost of VC and HH post retirement.  GTs have been available for under $60 for quite some time.  So even if it only goes up to MSRP a year after EOL you can still make decent money assuming you got it at a good discount.  Don't expect to make a killing, but don't be scared either.  A bonus of this set is that it can be modified to run on tracks if you take the effort: there are also a lot of cool pieces (including glow in the dark) that may make the set attractive to MOCers, etc.

The incompatibility with Lego tracks is a big disadvantage for this set. Anyway the most popular trains have always been the ones modeled after real-life, modern counterparts. I agree with Buddy, it's important to get this set at a good discount. It might not dip too low, but it might not rise very high, either.

I was just looking at Amazon at the Ghost Train, a set that I've been on the fence about stocking up on.  In one of the reviews (may be someone on BP) they reference the 6497-1: Twisted Time Train for a set comparison.  Neither of the sets are Lego train track compatible like the others in the train theme.  They look similar, too.  When I looked it up in the price index, I saw that it is around MSRP after all these years.  What I don't see though is if it took a dip when GT came out or if it spiked in the late 90's.  Also, I realize that it may not be a good comparison at all due to the number of pieces, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.  I guess bottom line is I continue to be on the fence, but after seeing the data on 6497 I may have fallen to the side of not buying. 

I doubt the Ghost Train will follow this same path, but when I first saw the Ghost Train, the first thing that popped in my head was the Twisted Time Train.  The Time Cruisers line was pretty much a flop at the time and has continued to be one.  Even though I expect the Ghost Train to do better, I've never been able to stock up on them because I just can't get that Twisted Time Train out of my head.

• Like 1