6279 and 6289 vintage Pirate sets (Sealed!)

lobo1969

Skull Island was my main Pirates set as a child. I don't know how many scenarios one could have on such a small obvious hideout yet I had more than I could remember. Haha. Oh yeah and the English Imperials always got their butts kicked....or eaten by the crocs or sharks complete with the Jaws theme being played by mouth.

Oh I like the display windows!

Those were a great feature on the boxes and a favorite activity when going through the LEGO aisle back then flipping open those flaps to take a peek at it all again and again....and again....annnd again....aannnnnd once more....and maybe just one more time....
  • Like 1

Love that pirate ship. The sails look so much better than the red and white stripes on the current set. May have to hunt one down to park next to my QAR. 

What did you pay for those? The pirate ship is not too bad used. Nib is expensive. 

Edited by marcandre

Love that pirate ship. The sails look so much better than the red and white stripes on the current set. May have to hunt one down to park next to my QAR. 

What did you pay for those? The pirate ship is not too bad used. Nib is expensive.

They were bought close to 10 years ago so I don't know what the final price was. We'll just say a little above retail ;)

Definitely a feature I wish LEGO still did with theirs sets. But with efforts to keep packaging costs down I can understand if we don't see this again from LEGO.

Does Lego still have some large Technic sets that have the feature where you can lift a lid and see more pictures of the set?

I really miss sets that came with baseplates like Skull Island...

The new pirates sets would have been a lot better if they came with basic blue baseplates of any size to help simulate the water more. I get that it's to keep costs down, and it likely does not fit with LEGO's new "model" or whatever, but still.

Miss me some good ole baseplates :(

• Like 1