76031 - The Hulk Buster Smash

Phi1316

Yeah... I've never been a QF'er... I even posted that I had "flipped a few of these a couple weeks back, but now I'm done"... but then I kept seeing them in stores at $30, and online at $50... so I couldn't stop.  I bought a few more... sold them.  Bought a few more... sold them.  To date I think I've sold about 16 or 18 ebay at about $6-7 net profit each.  No gift cards... no points... just buying at retail and shipping 'em out.  But it does look like the party is about over.  Undercutters are moving in ... I feel like I'm in a hot tub with a bunch of dudes.  :) Time for me to get out.  I may just return the last few I have.

So, I had a raincheck from Target for these & asked if I could get it extended since they didn't have it in stock several times I went back for it. The manager said "sure no problem."   But when he went to reissue the raincheck he said he couldn't because it's not orderable any longer...Strange.

• 8 months later...

Any new thoughts on this set?  What do you guys think of these long term? Its really the only set from the avengers ultron line that I like.  I guess with the new movie and line coming out these will start drying up in the next several months!

I'm sitting on 3 NIB. I'm in for the long term, heh.

I like this set for many different reasons, but I would imagine most others will as well. Would not be surprised if this is one of the most hoarded sets when all is said and done. The bigger question is the length of production - an extra year like the Superman Power Lex will really hold this thing back.

1 hour ago, nolanfan34 said:

I like this set for many different reasons, but I would imagine most others will as well. Would not be surprised if this is one of the most hoarded sets when all is said and done. The bigger question is the length of production - an extra year like the Superman Power Lex will really hold this thing back.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these is the only non sold out set with the Hulk Maxi at the moment, right? It was a brisk seller at MSRP in my parts around Xmas and not much stock around. I expect it to get a full restock soon, as only Hydra Fortress Smash seems like it is gone from that wave. Definitely one I'll be eyeing all spring/summer/fall. Cooler than Superman/Power Lex (imho) so hopefully retires with all that Avengers wave. It would be awful if this is still around for Infinity War(s) at retail.

6 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these is the only non sold out set with the Hulk Maxi at the moment, right? It was a brisk seller at MSRP in my parts around Xmas and not much stock around. I expect it to get a full restock soon, as only Hydra Fortress Smash seems like it is gone from that wave. Definitely one I'll be eyeing all spring/summer/fall. Cooler than Superman/Power Lex (imho) so hopefully retires with all that Avengers wave. It would be awful if this is still around for Infinity War(s) at retail.

That is true on the Hulk for now at least. Although Lab Smash has not dried up yet in my area, which is saying something. Your last sentence is the real question IMO. Just how long are they going to make this thing. For the price I think it's by far the best "deal" from the Super Heroes wave at the moment. 4 figs, and the Hulkbuster is like a 5th maxi fig on its own.

With the new wave of CA3 Civil War sets this Spring which feature quite a few re-released minifigures and another Quinjet, I don't expect the Avengers AOU sets to last much longer.  Hulk is absent from the Civil War sets so far which could lead to a longer shelf life for the Hulkbuster or make it more valuable if it goes out of production soon.  Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Edited by zskid00

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, this set (along with other AoU sets) was discounted at Walmarts in their recent sale.. however it is still available at LEGO LEGO Shop at Home, etc, for retail price.. when do you guys think it will retire? 

I'm only sitting on one, and I'm in it for the long run. I bought it for $15, so there is little chance of me losing money.. hoping it hits $40-45 quickly after retirement and slowly climbs.. but since its been available for a while, do you think it will appreciate much in value?

1 hour ago, FanOfLEGO101 said:

Well, this set (along with other AoU sets) was discounted at Walmarts in their recent sale.. however it is still available at LEGO LEGO Shop at Home, etc, for retail price.. when do you guys think it will retire? 

I'm only sitting on one, and I'm in it for the long run. I bought it for $15, so there is little chance of me losing money.. hoping it hits $40-45 quickly after retirement and slowly climbs.. but since its been available for a while, do you think it will appreciate much in value?

IMHO, it will be gone by the end of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Tempted by the Smyths offer atm (thanks @Fenix_2k1).  Circa 45% off and even if this is one of the most hoarded sets and SH is a "stay away from" the MEC in this just makes me think it will do well enough in the long term (assuming there's no remake).

Still this is one of the few SH sets I'd buy for the build alone.

Only hulk big fig available on the market and with no Hulk in marvel movies next year could be 2018 before we see another one.    Agree this is well stocked but it’ll be in demand more than most recent SH sets and had a good initial price point.   40%+ discount on this is a winner.  

45 minutes ago, feed said:

Only hulk big fig available on the market and with no Hulk in marvel movies next year could be 2018 before we see another one.    Agree this is well stocked but it’ll be in demand more than most recent SH sets and had a good initial price point.   40%+ discount on this is a winner.  

Hulk's in the Thor movie coming out next year.