60036 - Arctic Base Camp

biniou

(I guess having its own topic would be more simple)

Do you think guys the Arctic City theme will last for a while (let's say up to 2016) or could it stop this summer ?

I can have a deal on arctic base (about 36% off) so I wonder if it could be a good choice if the theme stops this summer (to resell on Xmas 2015).

I'm sure it's a good investment but I would like to invest elsewhere if it'll stay available for one more year.

Thanks

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

(copy/paste from the 60064 Arctic Supply Plane topic)

My personal opinion is it is gone before fall season begins.
Probably wrong but I am buying it based on that.

I say it stays around one more Xmas and even if it does, that

Edited by biniou

I think it is actually better if it is still around as then kids will want it. Once it is EOL they move on to the next thing.

The perfect storm is for it to EOL or OOS whilst being in all the Xmas catalogues as X wing and MF did last year!

• Like 1

I doubt it will be around as long as the mine... but I'm no prophet. The orange bricks are nice, the minifigs detailed and unique (as opposed to slight variations on other City themes), it has huskies (cute), and a polar bear. A friggin' polar bear. This isn't a slam dunk like exclusives, but as far as City themes, I think arctic is pretty safe.

Do you think guys the Arctic City theme will last for a while (let's say up to 2016) or could it stop this summer ?

Online this subtheme may stick around until the start of next year but I do not see anything staying in stores much longer or as you said around Summer. There is simply too many sets from the City theme alone for stores to hold shelves on. I know my Walmart has already put all Arctic Base Camps into their clearance aisle at full price with a few of the other sets still in the main area and Target's selection of the subtheme's sets has dwindled.

Do you usually flip on this tight margin? It is a bit risky if you don't get the price.

Absolutely not (lol) I don't.

I may not have been understandable.

My aim is 40% ROI (overall).

My fear is that the margin would be this tiny, that's the reason why I don't want to waste my time and I was asking about the possible EOL of the theme.

• Like 1

Conclusion, as a Xmas flip your buy in price is too high. It would need to be max 45 euros and hope that it sells out everywhere so you can charge full RRP for it to be worthwhile.

I doubt that if it EOL

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, my area had all these cleared out! People were eating them up at $64 and $70 clearance...

I ended up finding four boxes in great condition in the clearance isle at WM for $70. Didn't want to chance it and picked them up.

Such a fun looking set to build and show off.

Ok, my area had all these cleared out! People were eating them up at $64 and $70 clearance...

I ended up finding four boxes in great condition in the clearance isle at WM for $70. Didn't want to chance it and picked them up.

Such a fun looking set to build and show off.

​Same here, all bought by someone else within 1 day of them hitting $64. I think that is at least a good sign that this set will remain popular after EOL.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I liked the Arctic subtheme, but only the Icebreaker and the exclusive Supply Plane seemed worthy of investment.  This set always seemed to be on sale somewhere and when it went on sale on LEGO.com, it had to be discounted even further before it finally sold out.  It's a decent set, but I think you'll be holding onto it for a while at that buy-in price.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

I liked the Arctic subtheme, but only the Icebreaker and the exclusive Supply Plane seemed worthy of investment.  This set always seemed to be on sale somewhere and when it went on sale on LEGO.com, it had to be discounted even further before it finally sold out.  It's a decent set, but I think you'll be holding onto it for a while at that buy-in price.

Correct. It could repeatedly be had for $55-60 + tax over the holidays. I believe I even saw someone post a $45 deal on one here recently. So $72 is a deal, but not a great one.

• Like 1