10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

In anticipation of the Ferris wheel arriving soon, just wanted to get people's opinions on what they would like to see. Do you think it will be similar to the mixer with various other little stalls to place nearby or more like the grand carousel - a big show piece. In reality all fairs have one or 2 large show pieces so I'm hoping for this. Given the price bracket we could get a large set.

Just wanted to promote some discussion around thus forthcoming set.

In anticipation of the Ferris wheel arriving soon, just wanted to get people's opinions on what they would like to see. Do you think it will be similar to the mixer with various other little stalls to place nearby or more like the grand carousel - a big show piece. In reality all fairs have one or 2 large show pieces so I'm hoping for this. Given the price bracket we could get a large set.

Just wanted to promote some discussion around thus forthcoming set.

I would love to see a grand carousel type piece--and I would love to see this set create some synergy with the mixer. Who doesn't want their own fair/amusement park? Maybe even add a sideshow of all those budget Chima minifigs we've been snagging at deep discount. :crazy:

• Like 1

To me, anything less than the Grand Carousel will be a disappointment.  I get they are trying (maybe) to create a "summer seasonal" with new components every year, but to me its a wasted release slot.  The FM seems stuck between being a City playset and an Advanced model, without much display potential.  They would have had better success with a Halloween Village seasonal.  Or a Disneyland/Disneyworld seasonal with park landmarks.

• Like 1

To me, anything less than the Grand Carousel will be a disappointment.  I get they are trying (maybe) to create a "summer seasonal" with new components every year, but to me its a wasted release slot.  The FM seems stuck between being a City playset and an Advanced model, without much display potential.  They would have had better success with a Halloween Village seasonal.  Or a Disneyland/Disneyworld seasonal with park landmarks.

I agree with you.  The Fairground Mixer is a creative set, but certainly isn't all that impressive.  The Ferris Wheel can either be a similar sort of average build or an all out work of art.  We'll see.

Still waiting for pictures of this set.   If the Ferris Wheel includes features such as mobile/truck transport, extra little booths, fencing, etc, it would appear to fit with the Fairground Mixer very nicely.  In that case, I think a coherent theme is starting to emerge and the Mixer as an early set will have that much more future appeal.   This will influence my decision on stock levels of the Mixer.

Anyone seen pics of this set yet?  Isn't early release in like 3 weeks?

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

I think LEGO knows that FM has an ambiguous appeal and they will try to make a more concise set this time. Maybe they realised it needs to be bigger (hence pricier) if they want to achieve a 'wow' recognition. Then demand will decide, although it will have a hard time against the licensed sets because this theme seems to be more marginal than the landmarks series. And even then just look at SOH, an excellent AFOL set in my opinion and still lacking demand because it's expensive.

Disney landmarks would be awesome and im sure a big hit worldwide.

I would expect something along the lines of the Mixer, though with greater display potential. I'm not a fan of the Mixer at all, I think it's an awful set.

I'm not expecting anything as good as the Carousel.

I understand the nostalgia behind Grand Carousel with its classically artistic vintage appearance but it isn't something you would find in a modern real life amusement park or at least not one that travels. The Fairground Mixer on the other hand is rather spot on in its realism with the main attraction capturing the look and mechanics of a basic twist/scrambler ride. Like it or not, that is how it should be and I would imagine the Ferris Wheel shall be the same. Besides it is a Ferris Wheel, the most basic amusement known to man. Shoot, an enterprise would be more fun and interesting. Course I guess you don't have a Ferris Wheel for fun, you have it for looks and people with queasy stomachs. Haha.

• Like 5

I thought that was the rumored New Zealand price, which would have put it at $199 for the U.S.

I'm so confused! Originally I thought it was $199.99 & then I thought it was $249.99. My notes have both prices so I'm completely lost. I don't personally care what it costs, I will buy it.

I am eagerly awaiting to see even a hint at what this set could be followed by how well it goes beside the already released Fairground Mixer and on that note, I have some ideas for what this may potentially be. If the suggested retail of rumor becomes true then $200 gives a lot of possibility in terms of the height, number of gondolas, and what side attractions we might see.

Traditionally a Ferris wheel is a 'couples ride' in each car seating two persons but anyone knows the extra space required in placing two minifigures together therefore the design might be a single-seater. However such a high price point could lend towards a decently wide design which really shouldn't require a whole lot more pieces to achieve this as they would go into each pod than the actual wheel. If it turns out to have single-seaters then we are looking at a six wide (from the front) ride holding ten cars. If it is a double-seater then an eight wide (again from the front) design with eight to ten cars. (This all assumes there won't be any inside gondolas that some of the large ones have in certain parks.)

I can imagine some fancy decor across the sides with plenty of those glow-in-the-dark studs to make it shine during the night just like the Fairground Mixer and it will be made Power Functions ready. As The Men's Warehouse guy would say, "I guarantee it". I suppose there will also be some sort of fencing and a few steps to a platform for the people to get on the ride. Since there already was a ticket kiosk in the Fairground Mixer I question seeing another one included here although it is a constant necessity with theme parks.

I guess the only thing left to speculate is what color shall it be and what the two added side venues will be?

• Like 3

Correction: VIP purchase of 10247 doesn't begin until May 13.  Still more than a month out.  Can't wait for pictures of this set, I do love the whole portable carnival theme...

Our kids really like the Mixer set for exactly that reason... being portable they constantly load and unload the trucks. Frankly, for them it's more fun than pretending to hit the strong man bell attraction. They do like the dunk tank though.

I just hope we don't get something like this... :)

post-8090-0-37357100-1428347075_thumb.jp

• Like 6