10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

​Isn't the Fairground Mixer a "scramber"?

Opps, you're right...guess personally I wasn't crazy about the mixer set and think it could be a bigger size lol.   The display feature of the Wheel is better but I guess the fairground mixer has more playability for kids with all the extras.  

Someone posted a moc of bumper cars recently that looked awesome.   

My immediate first impression was disappointment as well, but after looking at it from the aspect of matching the build quality of the Mixer, it seems to be acceptable.  The Grand Carousel is a wonderful set and I would have loved to see an equivalent complex Ferris Wheel, but that would put the set in the $400 range and I don't think LEGO wants to go there.  

Overall, the Mixer and Ferris Wheel will pair nicely and I'm sure there will be more similar sets to follow.  A Roller Coaster or portable gaming arcade would be great additions.  

​This mentality is EXACTLY what I am counting on with Lego for the next Death Star as I continue to stockpile the current one.  Here's hoping.

Fantastic set from the looks of it, the best version yet IMHO. The last one was also really well done, but I like this direction quite a bit as well.

​Is it, or is it likely to be around for another year, like winter village market and santas workshop side by side or T1 and Mini?

​Either way, there are winners in that line-up.

Absolutely, these will do really well, no doubt about it. The Mixer is a perfect companion set. Now, if Lego could only do Bumper Cars and/or a Roller Coster , fingers crossed!

In my experience there have only been 3 lego sets in all of Lego's history that will get a woman who has otherwise no interest in Lego's excited. They are in completely relevant order: Grand Carousel, Town Hall "Otherwise know as Wedding Chapel" and R2D2. Two of these have already proven to be Investor gold and I think R2D2 will also. I will be completely basing my investment opinion on the Ferris wheel on the reactions I get from this demographic.

​Not to go to far OT, but I'd add Birds to this list.  Every single one of my wife's friends that has seen this set has gone gaga over it.  They just love it, even if they don't give a hoot about Lego.  FYI.

• Like 1

Regarding the new Ferris wheel.  IMHO, winner-winner.  Love the looks, its large! and integrates well at Modular scale.  It also looks to pair beautifully with the Mixer.  Should help the mixer, considerably.  Even better if we get a third entry in this theme next year (or 4th, if you count GC).  It really is a nice addition to AFOL street scenes with the modulars.  Very happy with this, will pick one up next month, and may break a seal on one of my mixers to build them side-by-side.

​Not to go to far OT, but I'd add Birds to this list.  Every single one of my wife's friends that has seen this set has gone gaga over it.  They just love it, even if they don't give a hoot about Lego.  FYI.

Diablo we normally agree on a lot but on Birds I have to disagree.  I just don't see great investment potential in it because all bird lovers and audobon members already have this set, all 2 of them.  ROFL

• Like 1

Schizophrenic commentaries complaining about a price that is going to be too high while complaining about too little detail at the same time seems to be a new type of sport in the LEGO community - at least that's what it looks like on some other LEGO forums discussing the new Ferris Wheel. I hope these kinds of assements don't become too popular here also, since they are not getting us anywhere.

Edited by rfish

Schizophrenic commentaries complaining about a price that is going to be too high while complaining about too little detail at the same time seems to be a new type of sport in the LEGO community - at least that's what it looks like on some other LEGO forums discussing the new Ferris Wheel. I hope these kinds of assements don't become too popular here also, since they are not getting us anywhere.

​Correct, this set looks beautiful and when it is motorized it will be the winner for investment purposes. One year after ritirement double price at least...

Not really my cup of tea, first impressions are that it looks a bit childish. Guess that's the market they're after here. Maybe it's the colour scheme.

I'm sure it will do ok as part of a continuing theme. Though If it retails at €200, I think I might be looking for better investments elsewhere.

Kudos to Lego for pricing this 2400+ piece set at $199.99. I think Lego has found a nice price point that doesn't drive a lot of people away and is sticking to it. I can't wait to get this. I also think it will pair nicely with the FM. If you motorize both and have them running at the same time, it would look amazing. I hope this is a theme that Lego keeps going. I now wish I hadn't sold my Grand Carousel a while back. Oh well. I'm also regretting missing out on the balloon and hot dog carts.

• Like 1

This set only becomes valuable if more amusement park/county fair themed sets are released in my opinion.  Like the Mixer, it is a Creator set that has some creative elements to it, but in comparison to some of the more complex and accurate Creator and Advanced Models, these sets fall short.  They are geared to towards playability, not displayability, and if history is any indicator of future success, these sorts of sets never rarely explode in value.  

Now if these amusement park/county fair sets become a series of 5 or 10 sets of similar nature, then we might have a excellent collectible and valuable theme.  

• Like 3

I originally never planned on buying the FM at all when it was first released, but my wife insisted on it because she really liked it and wanted to build it.  When I first heard the rumor of the Ferris Wheel, I was actually kind of excited, because I figured it would be a model worth displaying and really showing off what Lego can do model wise.  Of course my wife is super stoked about it, and will want it day 1.

I don't think you should underestimate this set/theme now that they seem to be doing this like the winter village theme.  It's only going to continue to add to the value of older sets as they retire for people to have their own amusement park in Lego.  Kudos to Lego, I hope they keep it up like this.

• Like 1

This set only becomes valuable if more amusement park/county fair themed sets are released in my opinion.  Like the Mixer, it is a Creator set that has some creative elements to it, but in comparison to some of the more complex and accurate Creator and Advanced Models, these sets fall short.  They are geared to towards playability, not displayability, and if history is any indicator of future success, these sorts of sets never rarely explode in value.  

Now if these amusement park/county fair sets become a series of 5 or 10 sets of similar nature, then we might have a excellent collectible and valuable theme.  

​With that in mind, I can think of two other sets I'd like to see. I have yet to ride the Zipper without throwing up afterwards, and I love roller coasters too! The swing ride would be awesome. Just think of all the different themed figures you could put on it. I'd love a roller coaster too, but I can't imagine a decent one being produced for around $200. 

zipper.jpg

Swing Ride.jpg

• Like 1

​With that in mind, I can think of two other sets I'd like to see. I have yet to ride the Zipper without throwing up afterwards, and I love roller coasters too! The swing ride would be awesome. Just think of all the different themed figures you could put on it. I'd love a roller coaster too, but I can't imagine a decent one being produced for around $200. 

zipper.jpg

​I can't even look at pictures of the zipper without feeling sick. I _hate_ rides like this but it would a cool Lego build.

I think this is what Ed's talking about... There are so many options for cool Lego carnival/ride sets. Every year there is a local train hobby show where the Lego guys come out as well to show their cities and trains. One of them brings his roller coaster and other "theme park" MOCs. They get more attention that some of the trains themselves.

If Lego continues to push out a new set every year for the next 5 years, people will want the mixer and this ferris wheel if they missed out.

• Like 2