10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

​I can't even look at pictures of the zipper without feeling sick. I _hate_ rides like this but it would a cool Lego build.

I think this is what Ed's talking about... There are so many options for cool Lego carnival/ride sets. Every year there is a local train hobby show where the Lego guys come out as well to show their cities and trains. One of them brings his roller coaster and other "theme park" MOCs. They get more attention that some of the trains themselves.

If Lego continues to push out a new set every year for the next 5 years, people will want the mixer and this ferris wheel if they missed out.

​Right..By themselves, they are above average...solid sets, but are not exceptional.  But make them a continuing series like the Modulars and they become much more valuable as collectibles.

Kudos to Lego for pricing this 2400+ piece set at $199.99. I think Lego has found a nice price point that doesn't drive a lot of people away and is sticking to it. I can't wait to get this. I also think it will pair nicely with the FM. If you motorize both and have them running at the same time, it would look amazing. I hope this is a theme that Lego keeps going. I now wish I hadn't sold my Grand Carousel a while back. Oh well. I'm also regretting missing out on the balloon and hot dog carts.

​Was the price and piece count for the Ferris Wheel already confirmed?

Anyways, I think this is a winner all the way. My only minor complaint would be that I wish the cabs had a larger variety of colors. Adding a red cab would have done wonders for the look of the set. It looks a little drab as it is.

Edited by pete411

Wait no longer, i present to you... the 10247 - Ferris Wheel

​That's a classic Ferris wheel alright. Twelve rounded double-seater gondolas, easily modifiable for Power Function capability, full waiting area lane with stairs, this baby has it all. It will fit perfectly beside the already released Fairground Mixer. As for size, what the Mixer has in girth, the Ferris Wheel has in height. The color choices are good too making the two rides complement each other. Looks like that full-on LEGO amusement park is coming together.

​Isn't the Fairground Mixer a "scrambler"?

​There are a couple names for it but yeah that's the main one.

​

This set only becomes valuable if more amusement park/county fair themed sets are released in my opinion.  Like the Mixer, it is a Creator set that has some creative elements to it, but in comparison to some of the more complex and accurate Creator and Advanced Models, these sets fall short.  They are geared to towards playability, not displayability, and if history is any indicator of future success, these sorts of sets never rarely explode in value.  

Now if these amusement park/county fair sets become a series of 5 or 10 sets of similar nature, then we might have a excellent collectible and valuable theme. 

Yeah, pretty much my feeling too. Only problem with that is an extremely long hold time for the first few sets, if we're looking at a new fairground set every year. If I was buying Mixers a year from now, just before they (possibly) retire, I'd be looking to offload 2-3 years from now.

Add another 2 years on to that for the Ferris. And that's just the first 2 sets before the theme really starts to gain momentum in value ahead of future sets.

Edited by tractorboy

I think this is going to look fantastic next to the mixer.  The color choices, size, scale, minifigs, little booths, all of it.   I don't think this will dominate the mixer at all in terms of size.  The mixer is a bigger set than what it looks like on the box; it's pretty long and substantial.  The Ferris Wheel is a great replica of a travelling carnival ferris wheel.  12 gondolas, a base plate with steel girder support, the ticket both and crowd-control pathway.   All of it.  Just a stellar set to add to the new Carney theme.  Reminds me to pick up a another dozen power function kits, to bundle with this (and the mixer) and a few of the Technic sets when times comes to sell them off.  

​

Yeah, pretty much my feeling too. Only problem with that is an extremely long hold time for the first few sets, if we're looking at a new fairground set every year. If I was buying Mixers a year from now, just before they (possibly) retire, I'd be looking to offload 2-3 years from now.

Add another 2 years on to that for the Ferris. And that's just the first 2 sets before the theme really starts to gain momentum in value ahead of future sets.

The one thing this theme has going for it is that it might be overlooked because anything STAR WARS will overshadow every other theme and set over the next couple of years, especially the next 6 months.  I have a feeling LEGO is going to clean house of many of the older STAR WARS sets before the new movie and release the largest selection of new STAR WARS sets in their history.  Sets like these will slip under the radar starting this Fall when people are freaking out buying new Falcons.

• Like 2

Guest brickcrazyhouse

​With that in mind, I can think of two other sets I'd like to see. I have yet to ride the Zipper without throwing up afterwards, and I love roller coasters too! The swing ride would be awesome. Just think of all the different themed figures you could put on it. I'd love a roller coaster too, but I can't imagine a decent one being produced for around $200. 

zipper.jpg

Swing Ride.jpg

​OrcKing and any other moc'rs here care to take on either one of these?  I think I'll try the swings first. The zipper maybe eaiser with real pieces while the swings should be able to be done on LDD. 

The one thing this theme has going for it is that it might be overlooked because anything STAR WARS will overshadow every other theme and set over the next couple of years, especially the next 6 months.  I have a feeling LEGO is going to clean house of many of the older STAR WARS sets before the new movie and release the largest selection of new STAR WARS sets in their history.  Sets like these will slip under the radar starting this Fall when people are freaking out buying new Falcons.

​That has the danger that SW will be so oversaturated in every media (since Disney is not Lucas, they are cranking out new content like crazies) that people will stop to care. If you eat the same food every day you begin to dislike it. SW had the magic because new movies were scarce. If there will be a new one each year that might be too much.

There is a so called epicness factor in movie sequels. The closer in time the release of a sequel is the more epic it has to be to generate interest. If Disney is truly releasing movies each year and can't trump the former one enough then they will seem bland copies after a time. You can only counter this effect by leaving more time between movies and let nostalgia do the work to up interest.

Edited by inversion

Not motorized? :-(

​I noticed that too.

I also noticed the box art with the swings and the coaster in the background.  Very sweet.  Hope that's a hint of things to come.

I love the box art.  Makes me want this even more now.  That thing is just beautiful.

I'm really curious to see how the build goes.  This looks pretty epic to me.

Not motorized? :-(

​So you want to pay extra 100$ or whatever if you already have a PF kit? Mixer also had a motorized bundle and I really like it that LEGO doesn't want to shove down PF on your throat. Would you rather have no option? Compulsory bundling is against consumer welfare (less choice).