10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

The mania from the UCS Falcon is the main reason it's being bought...even though there will be a lot of investor copies, it should still sell well, as it is an incredible set with a huge wow factor...there will probably never be anything quite like it in Lego Star Wars ever again.

So, today I received the third Death Star I purchased in the last week. One each from TRU, Walmart, and LEGO. Just some notes about them and how they were shipped. Both the TRU and Walmart items came shipped in the LEGO packing box. The TRU box came dented, but the would only refund the cost of the item not ship a new one, so I kept it (it was a sale after all). The Walmart box was great. That just goes to show the randomness of the USPS, in my opinion. The LEGO box came double packaged in a shipping box, with the set contained in the LEGO packing box around the Death Star. The set from LEGO was in the best shape, but the inner packing box around the actual Death Star was opened. I have to wonder why. It could only contain one thing, the Death Star, right? Why open it? Was it a returned item, who knows? It is just funny. I do love this time of year when the sales happen. I can't wait to see what the next few months bring.

LEGO may produce the Modular series a little longer than usual because of the success of the first two sets in the series, but I can't imagine they will overdo it like they have with the Death Star. The Modular series is great, but it will never appeal to such a massive audience as the Death Star does. Look how freakin' cool that Death Star is! How many people wouldn't want that if given the chance to own one?!? Now look at the Modulars. They are quality sets, but they are not going to fill people with the same kind of excitement that a giant Death star with 22 mini figures will. I know a lot of investors are just chomping at the bit waiting for the Death Star to finally go away, but that's only because it is becoming more and more of a shaky investment. If you took the investment aspect out of this entirely, everyone would be more than happy to see the Death Star stick around indefinitely.

The more I learn about the lego product lineup, the less likely I think think they will eol 10188 anytime soon... This set is considered a centerpiece playset in the starwars theme. And looking at popularity and sales, this is a successful business that lego has no reason to stop. The only time you should discontinue a successful product is when you have something new to take its place. There is no 10188 replacement in sight as far as I can tell. I could be wrong and maybe they actually will eol it soon...... but logic tells me this item still have some life in it...

The more I learn about the lego product lineup, the less likely I think think they will eol 10188 anytime soon...

This set is considered a centerpiece playset in the starwars theme. And looking at popularity and sales, this is a successful business that lego has no reason to stop. The only time you should discontinue a successful product is when you have something new to take its place. There is no 10188 replacement in sight as far as I can tell.

I could be wrong and maybe they actually will eol it soon...... but logic tells me this item still have some life in it...

Im beginning to wonder if the Death Star is just a flat out bad investment? The market by now has to be absolutely flooded with them, call me crazy but I feel it's going to take eternity to see an ROI with this set, especially if they continue it through 2013. I'm starting to feel the same about the Fire Brigade as well, especially if they continue that through 2013. I still however have a couple of both.

Im beginning to wonder if the Death Star is just a flat out bad investment? The market by now has to be absolutely flooded with them, call me crazy but I feel it's going to take eternity to see an ROI with this set, especially if they continue it through 2013. I'm starting to feel the same about the Fire Brigade as well, especially if they continue that through 2013. I still however have a couple of both.

yeah I wonder the same thing....all is us have at least one, the only people that are gonna want it once it EOLs is the people that didn't grab one in the first place, how many people could that be though, we have had 4+ years to pick it up!

yeah I wonder the same thing....all is us have at least one, the only people that are gonna want it once it EOLs is the people that didn't grab one in the first place, how many people could that be though, we have had 4+ years to pick it up!

Exactly, I mean how big could the demand for these be once they retire? They've been available for almost 5 years now, and if they remain available through 2013 I can't see there being a huge demand for them. Yes there will always be AOLs coming out of retirement, but enough to boost or double prices on 10188? Hmmm I'm not sure. I could be compeletely wrong though, and I hope I am. But it just seems as if everyone and mother, including myself has these sets hoarded away, and yet they're still readily available at my 2 nearest Lego stores. Theres no doubt in my mind that 20 years from now they'll be worth a lot but how many people want to wait that long? There are people that will, but I'm guessing the majority of Lego investors want to sell EOL sets within 5 or so years after their retire date.

I'm talking a different viewpoint on this set. I know it has been around forever and people assume that millions and millions were sold and will flood the market after EOL. Well, maybe not. It is a $400 set, pricey by any means. It is not available in most non-LEGO stores, except online. Most of these high priced sets are bought by AFOLs and not children. I can't honestly make a case for a lot of children owning this set. Point is, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of kids worldwide that want this set NOW. but can't have it. They will be adults one day with discretionary income to spend and will buy this set years from now at top dollar. Maybe a long term investment is a better way to look at this set. Just an observation.

I could be compeletely wrong though, and I hope I am. But it just seems as if everyone and mother, including myself has one.

yeah my mom has 5 of them lol just kidding not really!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. As apt_get stated earlier, LEGO does not care about investors or the secondary market. They will sell the 10188 until it becomes unprofitable to do so...or until every last STAR WARS fan is dead, which knowing George Lucas and his propensity for STAR WARS sequels, will be around the year 2067. LOL So true. Lucas will keep remaking STAR WARS movies until he drops dead. Even then, he probably will have it in his will to remake them one more time with his image next to Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Jedis last scene. I have totally been wanting to ask this question forever but though it might be inappropriate, it still is I'm sure but now that I see it has been somewhat mentioned it I feel better asking........When George Lucas dies, will that have any effect on the prices (both current and EOL) Star Wars sets?

Just saw the Death Star 10188 on Ebay for $99.99 plus $90 shipping - still a heck of a price, so I grabbed two of the last 5 they had (had 50 total). It occurs to me this deal is too good to be true for a sealed, in box set. Anyone seen this auction? (If this is posted twice, my apologies, first time it said there was an error)

Just saw the Death Star 10188 on Ebay for $99.99 plus $90 shipping - still a heck of a price, so I grabbed two of the last 5 they had (had 50 total). It occurs to me this deal is too good to be true for a sealed, in box set. Anyone seen this auction?

(If this is posted twice, my apologies, first time it said there was an error)

I just looked on ebay and didnt see it for this price anywhere. Do you have a direct link? This sounds too good to be true

Just saw the Death Star 10188 on Ebay for $99.99 plus $90 shipping - still a heck of a price, so I grabbed two of the last 5 they had (had 50 total). It occurs to me this deal is too good to be true for a sealed, in box set. Anyone seen this auction?

Sorry, but this just isn't gonnna happen. At least eBay will cover you - but it will take some time & hastle.

I got had not so long ago when I was a noob! Please post auctions like that on here before you buy so we can convince you not to throw your money in the trash.

well, i'm not surprised but thought I'd give it a go - at least i have the sad consolation of knowing that if it is the case (that I got screwed) I'm not alone as they sold 50 of them. Seller had a great rating though...I'll let you know when the inevitable happens.

It happens man.....not to kick you when you are down but I doubt that he really sold 50, its super easy to manipulate feedback ratings, there are some real scumbags out there!

He likely did sell 50 to others who won't be getting it. Someone else sold around 150 of them on ebay yesterday for 149 with free shipping, from Hong Kong. Like I mentioned, the downside is the time & hastle. Hopefully you aren't mailed an empty small jiffy bag (this has happened to me), then it becomes an item not as described (since they can show that it was delivered). I have even needed to file a police report to send to ebay (yes, police came to my house for evidence). So, I no longer try to buy these great deals - I just report them ASAP to ebay.