DC Super Hero Girls - general discussion

TheOrcKing

An article just posted up on The Brick Fan mentions a new press release from Warner Brothers announcing the upcoming line of DC Super Hero Girls which will include digital content of video games and animation to toys include yours truly of LEGO. This new series will primarily focus on all the female characters in the DC universe but all taking place during their formative years over the more established adults we are accustomed with.

dc-super-hero-girls.jpg

Beginning in Fall 2015, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and Mattel join forces to launch DC Super Hero Girls, an exciting new universe of Super Heroic storytelling that helps build character and confidence, and empowers girls to discover their true potential. Featuring DC Comics’ most powerful and diverse line-up of female characters as relatable teens, DC Super Hero Girls will play out across multiple entertainment content platforms and product categories to create an immersive world.

Developed for girls aged 6-12, DC Super Hero Girls centers on the female Super Heroes and Super-Villains of the DC Comics universe during their formative years—prior to discovering their full super power potential. Featuring a completely new artistic style and aesthetic, DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction. Each character has her own storyline that explores what teen life is like as a Super Hero, including discovering her unique abilities, nurturing her remarkable powers and mastering the fundamentals of being a hero.

While this does seem like a good way of bringing focus around all the girls of super forward into the spotlight, I would believe any LEGO set designed for this new line will ultimately and simply be considered "Super Friends" as in the characters being minidolls instead of minifigures only with a DC motif.

Yeah high probability for this to be superheroine minidolls line. :P

Not following the thought process of including super villains like Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn to the lineup. Are they not supposed to be villains in this universe ? "mastering the fundamentals of being a hero." sounds presumptuous :P

I may be biased, but I still believe that girls are more interested in cute animals ,everyday teenage life roleplay or most importantly fairytale settings, which is their version of fantasy. I don't believe this will be successful. I might just die if SW minidolls will be the next thing.

Yeah high probability for this to be superheroine minidolls line. :P

Not following the thought process of including super villains like Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn to the lineup. Are they not supposed to be villains in this universe ? "mastering the fundamentals of being a hero." sounds presumptuous :P

​They will be the little tricksters who read the diary of the other girls, the mission will be to retrieve but in the end everybody will laugh and party together. That's what I imagine this to be. In that world everything and everybody is cute and friendly. 

Edited by inversion

Not following the thought process of including super villains like Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn to the lineup. Are they not supposed to be villains in this universe ? "mastering the fundamentals of being a hero." sounds presumptuous :P

​Well every super hero or in this case heroine needs to start somewhere. This is before they grow up into the 'reoccurring occupants of Arkham Asylum' we all know. Between the two characters story wise, I could see a teen Poison Ivy but Harley Quinn makes little sense only for the case she turned that way after meeting The Joker. Oh no, is there also going to be teen guy heroes in this?

I may be biased, but I still believe that girls are more interested in cute animals ,everyday teenage life roleplay or most importantly fairytale settings, which is their version of fantasy. I don't believe this will be successful. I might just die if SW minidolls will be the next thing.

​They will be the little tricksters who read the diary of the other girls, the mission will be to retrieve but in the end everybody will laugh and party together. That's what I imagine this to be. In that world everything and everybody is cute and friendly. 

​Lol, wait until you see the devious Talia Al Ghul :D  Although, Zatanna and her magic would be a good fir for this line

​Well every super hero or in this case heroine needs to start somewhere. This is before they grow up into the 'reoccurring occupants of Arkham Asylum' we all know. Between the two characters story wise, I could see a teen Poison Ivy but Harley Quinn makes little sense only for the case she turned that way after meeting The Joker. Oh no, is there also going to be teen guy heroes in this?

​Prepare for Superboy minidoll :D

I saw the announcement yesterday, but missed the whole part about LEGO.  That makes me even more excited about this upcoming line.

Since I have a 7 year old daughter, and a 3 year old son, I've been railing about this for a long time.  Is this perfect?  Of course not, but it's a start.  We've got to start somewhere.

It is next to impossible to find good, girl super hero stuff.  Or boy stuff that includes girls.  There are tons of Justice League and Avengers shirts out there.  But how many have Wonder Woman or Black Widow?  Pretty much none of them.  Trying to find books for those age ranges that have the female characters in it - next to impossible as well.  About the only "girl" thing I've been able to find is a TMNT t-shirt that is pink.  And I'm not buying a "Batman is my boyfriend" shirt because that's just dumb.  She can like Batman without him being her boyfriend.

My daughter is starting to get into this, but it's tough when it's all perceived as "boys stuff."  My daughter loves Friends, and she's interested in Elves (which I view as a gateway to fantasy stuff).  I'm happy to accept whatever I can as a gateway into reading comics or watching comic related cartoons.

• 1 month later...

Not lego related, but redbubble has a shirt that we got for our daughter. Search in the kids section for "so that's what she became".

Love it! Just wish it wasn't $27. On two separate notes.... There a new Duplo set with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in it. And I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this line.

My daughter is starting to get into this, but it's tough when it's all perceived as "boys stuff."  My daughter loves Friends, and she's interested in Elves (which I view as a gateway to fantasy stuff).  I'm happy to accept whatever I can as a gateway into reading comics or watching comic related cartoons.

​As long as she does not read what happen to Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn when they "grow up", or despite that little turn of events ? 

​As long as she does not read what happen to Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn when they "grow up", or despite of that little turn of events ? 

​Just the opposite.  Why sugar coat it?  She knows Darth Vader is a bad guy.  There's antagonist in every cartoon / TV show / book / media.  

• Like 1

​As long as she does not read what happen to Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn when they "grow up", or despite that little turn of events ? 

​Just the opposite.  Why sugar coat it?  She knows Darth Vader is a bad guy.  There's antagonist in every cartoon / TV show / book / media.  

​Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn just grew up to be a couple of 'bad girls' :whistle: which is more than how Miley Cyrus has turned out. :bad:

I do not know. One likes to embarrass herself in public, the others rob banks, kidnap people, etc etc.. Too many choices for little girls to emulate :P

​Let's just say at this point, I would rather my daughter (if I had one) turn out to be a Poison Ivy than a Miley Cyrus.

Hmm, so you'd rather your imaginary daughter actually hurts others/innocents than embarrasses herself ?

Poison Ivy at worst was an eco-terrorist obsessed with preserving the environment. Miley Cyrus looks like a coke addict (five letter word for a "shamelessly promiscuous girl"). Let's see, the killer feminist hippie or the crack *bleep*.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the Random House booth at Comic Con, and they had a little booklet with some basic information available.  I grabbed one.  Of note is the list of additional characters, so I'm going to assume that we might see these in the upcoming Lego sets as well.

JT19w7k.jpg?1

Additional characters:

rH4AK1C.jpg?1

The "mission statement," if you will behind this line:

iLt2L29.jpg?1

Continue to count me excited for this line.  Not just for the Lego, but for all the products that will tie into this line.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...