DC Super Hero Girls - general discussion

TheOrcKing

NYCC ’15: A Fangirl Movement With DC Super Hero Girls

Specifically mentioning LEGO:

Smith then asked Moffly about the project, she stated the process has been “years in the making.” She mentioned to the panel that it was an effort on behalf of many collaborators like Mattel, DC, LegoRandom House to name a few. Even though the shorts are starting to come out, 2016 will see many products from the line involving a graphic novel, TV specials, novels, dolls, action figures and apparel. It will revolve around the high school version of the characters we so love.

Another thing to pick out:

Missad said about 90% of the girls they spoke to wanted strong girls who were powerful and fierce enough to fight with no accessories that got in the way, she states “they were really specific; they had to be ready to fight, and be fierce and strong and powerful girls. We were really inspired by that.”

Gasp.  Are the marketing people *finally* starting to listen?  Are they finally starting to get it?

"I can feel the bass in my spleen!" Yeah I know that feeling. Haha. Moving along, the network password Barbara Gordon gave her of "ORACLE 1967" piqued my interest. No way has any detail so specific has ever been created at random. Well I found a couple things in my search.

In regards to Wonder Woman, 1967 was the first time they tried bringing Diana Prince (not Wonder Woman) to the silver screen with a series running off the popularity of the now classic Batman show under the work-in-progress title "Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?" which fell over itself for being rather absurd. The pilot never aired let alone seen by many back then but a YouTube browse today and you can find the allusive five minute clip.

As for Oracle there may be a few possibilities however I believe I can narrow everything down. Okay while the crime fighter of Bat-Girl was introduced in 1961 who under the hood was Betty Kane; it was in 1967 where the original Bat-Girl of Betty was replaced by the more well-known Barbara Gordon. Many years later to 1988, certain events in a little story called "The Killing Joke" involved the shooting of Barbara Gordon by The Joker giving her paralysis. In a number of subsequent stories, she uses her impressive talents with computers and information under the guise of Oracle first appearing in an issue of Suicide Squad around 1989.

A whole lot of info there to be sure with the short for this 'Easter egg' being I think since it was Barbara Gordon handing over the password, "Oracle" was a reference to her hacker character and "1967" is referring to her first appearance as Batgirl in the comics. Now I don't know why I had to go through all that just to find the answer for an inside joke other than it was there and there simply had to be a reason for it.

• Like 1

LEGO has officially revealed the DC Superhero Girls line of sets.  The first six sets will be available on November 27, 2016 (Cyber Monday).

The sets are:

41230 - Batgirl's Batjet
41231 - Harley Quinn's Cafe Rescue
41232 - Super Hero High School
41233 - Lashina's Action Rider
41234 - Bumblebee's Helicopter
41235 - Wonder Woman's Dorm

Only the first three sets have been revealed so far, with the other sets expected to be on display at NYCC this weekend.

In the words of my 8 year old daughter (who saw this pics this morning), "OMG I WANT THEM ALL!"  LEGO, looks like you've done it right.

29464924164_bca624c4d2_o.jpg

30092863215_c0b33a0788_o.jpg

29464923954_004a4e929a_o.jpg

30092863455_3230e47cdf_o.jpg

• Like 2

If I wasn't a fan of LEGO's minidoll before, I would be now. Of course I will always prefer the classic minifigure but still I must admit these are done quite well. Inevitably I am afraid that we are left with but one question.... How many people are going to get bent out of shape over a bat vehicle in colors not black (or very, very, dark gray) and is so, well, pretty? :flirt:

• Like 3

Im sorry but Wonder Womans dorm?!?!?!? Hahahahahahahaa............WTF Lego? I mean seriously if your making these sets assuming for girls to look up to female role models, why on gods green earth would you do Wonder Womans dressing room. WOW, just WOW...............lol

3 minutes ago, longshot said:

Im sorry but Wonder Womans dorm?!?!?!? Hahahahahahahaa............WTF Lego? I mean seriously if your making these sets assuming for girls to look up to female role models, why on gods green earth would you do Wonder Womans dressing room. WOW, just WOW...............lol

What does she need? A forge or machine shop?

3 minutes ago, longshot said:

1. The sets are based on cartoon series, I assume her room looks pretty similar to the set.  Someone who watches the show can verify

2. This is in line with the characters in Friends line, each with a set depicting her room

• Like 1

I think LEGO is making these to get $. I don't think it has anything to do with "role models."
  • Like 2