10179 How much you did you pay for yours?

wintersun

It could go up to $3,000, or it could go down to $2,000 or $1,500. I personally think it could hit $3,000 one day if there isn't another UCS MF made. However if one was to purchase it for $2,500 as an investment they would have to sell it for roughly $3,000 just to break even since eBay will take 15-20% in fees.

Wow, I hope Lego doesn't release another one. It would ruin the "exclusivity" of the old one!

It could go up to $3,000, or it could go down to $2,000 or $1,500. I personally think it could hit $3,000 one day if there isn't another UCS MF made. However if one was to purchase it for $2,500 as an investment they would have to sell it for roughly $3,000 just to break even since eBay will take 15-20% in fees.

Wow, I hope Lego doesn't release another one. It would ruin the "exclusivity" of the old one!

I agree, remakes are annoying in my opinion. 2013 seems to be the year of remakes for the Star Wars theme unfortunately........

In a way you could say that I got a mint 1st edition for about $200 or so. Back about 3 years ago I bought one off a guy locally that had opened one end of the box, looked at all the parts and put it back into the box. He sold it to me for $350 and it sat in storage until a month or so ago. Then on Kijiji, a guy lists a first edition for $3500, still sealed in all the packing boxes. I talk him down to $1900 (who would have guessed anyone would pay that much, let alone me) and picked up the mint set. I turn around and sell the opened box one for $2250 to a European buyer and now I have mint copy for me to hang onto for a while longer. I also managed to get in early on the LEGO pricing error on the May the 4th sale when they sold the rest of them off. Canadian buyers were lucky enough to get them for about $180 when LEGO accidentally priced them at 75% off instead of 25%. Keep in mind though, for all the great deals and huge returns, there are also bombs... PoP, Atlantis, Mon Calmari.... Happy Building!

In a way you could say that I got a mint 1st edition for about $200 or so. Back about 3 years ago I bought one off a guy locally that had opened one end of the box, looked at all the parts and put it back into the box. He sold it to me for $350 and it sat in storage until a month or so ago. Then on Kijiji, a guy lists a first edition for $3500, still sealed in all the packing boxes. I talk him down to $1900 (who would have guessed anyone would pay that much, let alone me) and picked up the mint set. I turn around and sell the opened box one for $2250 to a European buyer and now I have mint copy for me to hang onto for a while longer.

I also managed to get in early on the LEGO pricing error on the May the 4th sale when they sold the rest of them off. Canadian buyers were lucky enough to get them for about $180 when LEGO accidentally priced them at 75% off instead of 25%.

Keep in mind though, for all the great deals and huge returns, there are also bombs... PoP, Atlantis, Mon Calmari....

Happy Building!

I stand amazed at that amazing deal there. So you were able to get one o these when they were release in 2007? Wow, in 2007, I didn't even know about Lego Investing! I was just a regular Lego builder.

Well, I am happy that some of us were able to snag 10179's "back in the day".

I personally think it could hit $3,000 one day if there isn't another UCS MF made.

The 10179 was a 50th Anniversary set, the largest LEGO set in sheer mass and the top of the proverbial LEGO food chain. I would have my doubts about a remake of this set to such an extent. It cannot be a 50th Anniversary set in any way, so right there, the new one would be less valuable. How could one improve on perfection?

I personally think it could hit $3,000 one day if there isn't another UCS MF made.

The 10179 was a 50th Anniversary set, the largest LEGO set in sheer mass and the top of the proverbial LEGO food chain. I would have my doubts about a remake of this set to such an extent. It cannot be a 50th Anniversary set in any way, so right there, the new one would be less valuable. How could one improve on perfection?

Very true and great points Ed!