How am I going to sell all this Lego????

thirsty

I have sold on eBay (when we started), Bricklink (which we are moving away from) and now Amazon.Ca.  Fees on amazon.Ca are mucho higher than anyone but all I listed from our store was the older/hard to find stuff to get top dollar.  Heck 1/2 the time it's double our wall price.  But your shipping has to be a fixed set of rates for either pieces or Kgs, I just did pieces and make sure the prices can cover any under paid shipping.  Bricklink is nice/fees are low, but not alot of moms & pops know about it.  I am moving away since they started selling peoples creations/MOCs but of licensed/protected IP items and that doesn't sit well with me.  eBay we did for a while, but moved away pretty quickly due to just too many problems.  Good luck and yes if it was years back I would look at buying up your whole collection - usuall we offered 1/2 price of the market price.  Given your pretty valuable sets you can in bulk still do well.  BUT given all the crap of late with people opening boxes/taking out the contents - it's too risky for me to even think bout buying stuff from a store anymore. Almost everything we sell is from LEGO cases only to ensure it actually contains LEGO.  Even the LEGO stores have taken back and resold boxes that no longer contained LEGO!  And just in case anyone pipes up - the tapes will all be fine - they actually slit the glued edges and hot glue it back together under pressure.  VERY hard to detect!!

​I have seen one of my boxes coming apart at the seam where you described and wondered if people were bypassing the seals to steal content from the boxes and seal it back up.  Not sure how rampant this practice is, but it is a large concern for resellers who hold product for several years.

Edited by lego rules

People have mentioned most avenues to sell.  I don't see anything wrong with getting your feet wet and trying to sell some items on kijiji.  I have had a lot of good sales through kijiji.  I guess it depends on the amount of people who have access to your set in your area.

I am still trying to get rid of 50% off junk I bought at Sears, TRU, etc.  I have learned my lesson and stick with mainly exclusives.

Shipping with Canada Post use to be much cheaper than the competition but their rates have skyrocketed up as of the last year.  Shipping in Canada really needs to be investigated further to find the cheapest methods now.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

People have mentioned most avenues to sell.  I don't see anything wrong with getting your feet wet and trying to sell some items on kijiji.  I have had a lot of good sales through kijiji.  I guess it depends on the amount of people who have access to your set in your area.

I am still trying to get rid of 50% off junk I bought at Sears, TRU, etc.  I have learned my lesson and stick with mainly exclusives.

Shipping with Canada Post use to be much cheaper than the competition but their rates have skyrocketed up as of the last year.  Shipping in Canada really needs to be investigated further to find the cheapest methods now.

Good Luck!

​The best rates you'll get for shipping are Expedited Parcel with Canada Post. I'd love to hear if someone else has a cheaper way (that isn't borrowing from your company's corporate rate). The key to shipping is to get the right size boxes. Since Canada Post uses dimensional rates for anything larger than a ring box (or so it seems), don't follow their advice to have 4" of empty space on each side. Shipping a full size set like a modular should cost between $22-$30 depending on how far it's going. Following their recommendations you'll be about $40-$50 for a box that size.

The good news about that is that shipping box sizes like the SSD isn't really much more than shipping Pet Shops despite them weighing a ton (or tonne).

• Like 3

​The best rates you'll get for shipping are Expedited Parcel with Canada Post. I'd love to hear if someone else has a cheaper way (that isn't borrowing from your company's corporate rate). The key to shipping is to get the right size boxes. Since Canada Post uses dimensional rates for anything larger than a ring box (or so it seems), don't follow their advice to have 4" of empty space on each side. Shipping a full size set like a modular should cost between $22-$30 depending on how far it's going. Following their recommendations you'll be about $40-$50 for a box that size.

The good news about that is that shipping box sizes like the SSD isn't really much more than shipping Pet Shops despite them weighing a ton (or tonne).

​Shipping a full size set like a modular should cost between $22-$30 depending on how far it's going : DEPENDS also form which Province you live in .. nearer or not from the border, to the State or Country your shipping to , Cheaper Quebec to Ontario than to BC .. Cheaper from BC to ship to Australia than From Quebec add also the provinces tax... just my 2 cents ... Yes Canada Post is the cheapest "highest" solution, yes size of the box need to be just ok ...

• Like 1

​Shipping a full size set like a modular should cost between $22-$30 depending on how far it's going : DEPENDS also form which Province you live in .. nearer or not from the border, to the State or Country your shipping to , Cheaper Quebec to Ontario than to BC .. Cheaper from BC to ship to Australia than From Quebec add also the provinces tax... just my 2 cents ... Yes Canada Post is the cheapest "highest" solution, yes size of the box need to be just ok ...

​Sorry, I was just giving a general price range for shipping in Canada. I'm fairly central so only the 4 east coast provinces can be outside of that range. Shipping outside of Canada is an entirely different category but Expedited Shipping is still your best bet if you can't ship from the US like some folks who live close to the border. As an example, a set like the Imperial Shuttle 10212 will cost anywhere from $40-$70 to ship to the US from most places in Canada. A modular fits into that as well, maybe a couple bucks less if you're shipping from a big city like Toronto to Maryland state.

Regardless, I market almost exclusively to Canadians and if Americans buy for the ridiculous shipping cost, then so be it.

• Like 1

​... just wondering... what it might take to get a truly useful corporate rate - perhaps if all the Canadian BP'ers banded together as a "virtual company" everyone could make use of the corporate account & take advantage of a "shipping collective" co-op style.

• Like 1

​... just wondering... what it might take to get a truly useful corporate rate - perhaps if all the Canadian BP'ers banded together as a "virtual company" everyone could make use of the corporate account & take advantage of a "shipping collective" co-op style.

the problem is how the individual pay their portion?

the problem is how the individual pay their portion?

​Oh the problem is much larger than that. Having had my own business (as a partnership) before, it's pretty risky to enter into a partnership or limited partnership or corporation with people you don't really know.

Canada Post Small Business solutions (the old Venture One program has just been renamed) essentially gives you 5% off shipping. If you do it through PayPal invoicing, you get 5% off for regular invoices (assumes you are a small business) but you get 9% off for ebay invoices. They don't really advertise what big business gets... probably because it's negotiated.

To form any kind of "business" you need to do a few things:

1. File income tax statements for said business.
  2. Agree on the split of income/losses.
  3. Corporations may have to pay GST much earlier than the 30k allowance for small partnership type business.
  4. Pay for "business out of home permits" and other such expenses.

No offense, but I don't meet the GST threshold and I don't know any of you guys all that well so I don't really want my yearly tax statements to depend on your honesty. :)

Well, I'm thinking more of a shell company who's only business is "re-shipping." Keep your actual Lego business out of this. Seems possible.

For yourself, by yourself .. sure if you wanted to.  That seems overly complicated though since your "Lego business" would have to pay the shell company the shipping fees and then claim those expenses. Then the shipping company would have to claim the incoming/outgoing $$ too. If you do enough volume to make it worth your while but now you have more companies to worry about.

But I wouldn't enter into a partnership with anyone in order to try and get a larger discount. Not worth the risk IMO.

​What IS the GST threshold now a days?

​It's $30k of "taxable supplies" .. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/sm/gsthst-tpstvh/rgstr-eng.html

Basically it means that if you make more than $30k a year on your side business, you have to charge customers GST and remit them to the govt quarterly. If you don't make 30k in before-tax-credit profit, you don't need to collect GST.

So....  I got a bunch of sets the same size as Wolverine Chopper to sell.  If I'm doing shipping, what is the best sized box?  How should it be packed (bubble wrap)?  Should I get fancy shipping labels and do them on a printer?  What's the cost from say Calgary to Toronto?  Calgary to Texas?  Or Calgary to Vancouver?  I don't need to chase after every shekel, should I just flat rate it and make up the difference?  Most of this stuff was purchased at 50% or more discount  The Wolverine Chopper's I got at TRU price but the price appreciation is more than enough to make up any difference.

Sets I plan on unloading in the near future.

5 70702 Warp Stinger

5 60010 Fire Helicopter

6 9450 Epic Dragon Battle

8 6866 Wolverine Chopper's

18 9476 Orc Forge

4 10215 Jedi Starfighter

3 7964 Republic Frigate

2 7879 Hoth Echo Base

6 7965 Millenium Falcon

6 9515 Mavolence

4 4842 Hogwarts Castle

3 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge

2 7498 Police Headquarters

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

I'm holding on to 10221's, 10228's, 10197's, 10211's, 10212's, 10226's and most of the higher costing exclusives.  I think price appreciation should be fairly good in the next year to 2-3 years that holding for a period of time will allow me to realize full profit potential.  The stuff I'm unloading now has either stalled out, will never appreciate or has perma-plateau'ed.  Might be wrong about 4842 and 4195 though.  There still might be some juice left there... Dunno.

Have a 10195 and a 10198.  One has a finger sized hole in the box and the other a smashed in corner.  Don't quite know how I should go abouts marketing that.  Might be that a more technically savy platform would be good for that... BrickClassifieds or Bricklink.

So....  I got a bunch of sets the same size as Wolverine Chopper to sell.  If I'm doing shipping, what is the best sized box?  How should it be packed (bubble wrap)?  Should I get fancy shipping labels and do them on a printer?  What's the cost from say Calgary to Toronto?  Calgary to Texas?  Or Calgary to Vancouver?  I don't need to chase after every shekel, should I just flat rate it and make up the difference?  Most of this stuff was purchased at 50% or more discount  The Wolverine Chopper's I got at TRU price but the price appreciation is more than enough to make up any difference.

​Can't comment on the "best sized box" as i just reuse boxes i receive, but for such a small item; very little packaging materials would be needed. Even just newspaper would be fine for a Wolvie's chopper sized box imo.

As i said in a previous post: Flat rates across the country could screw you over if you end up having to pay way more than you think it will be. Heavy items from ON - BC cost a fair bit, but again that's all up to you if you feel your buy-in was low enough to warrant eating some shipping costs. Canada Post can give you estimates on rates if you need it, but off the top of my head i can't remeber what weight costs what to where.

I have those sticker labels from Staples. $35 for 100 or so. I just print straight from ebay/paypal and slap it on that box and good to go!

5 70702 Warp Stinger

5 60010 Fire Helicopter

18 9476 Orc Forge

4 10215 Jedi Starfighter

3 7964 Republic Frigate

2 7879 Hoth Echo Base

6 7965 Millenium Falcon

6 9515 Mavolence

4 4842 Hogwarts Castle

Any thoughts?

​Pretty decent "unloading" list, drooling at those 3x QAR.

• 4 months later...

5 70702 Warp Stinger

5 60010 Fire Helicopter

18 9476 Orc Forge

4 10215 Jedi Starfighter

3 7964 Republic Frigate

2 7879 Hoth Echo Base

6 7965 Millenium Falcon

6 9515 Mavolence

4 4842 Hogwarts Castle

Any thoughts?

Hey thirsty, how is the selling going? You left us hanging all summer!!

Personally I sold very very little this summer aside from some polybags and a few sets locally. I hope to sell a little more in Oct and Nov but then my selling will stop for 7-8 months completely as my family and I are going to be out of country!

Hey thirsty, how is the selling going? You left us hanging all summer!!

Personally I sold very very little this summer aside from some polybags and a few sets locally. I hope to sell a little more in Oct and Nov but then my selling will stop for 7-8 months completely as my family and I are going to be out of country!

where you goin?

where you goin?

My partner is taking a six month sabbatical (she's a prof) and we're going to Perpignan France for 6.5 months. Was going to post about it closer to as we don't officially have our French visas yet. France isn't part of the British commonwealth so it's a ton of stupid paperwork!

• Like 3

Nice! The wife and I did Paris for a week. What a beautiful city. People say the French are arrogant but we found that if you put an effort into speaking French, they're pretty receptive.

(Btw, if you have any 10212 imp. shuttles that need looking after while your gone, I'm your guy )

I'm French Canadian and am fluent in French so that's one of the reasons we chose France.

I only have my personal 10212 and one used one that I haven't gotten around to cleaning and selling. :)