Building Star Wars 75073, 75076, 75077 & 75052

legomanual

For the next two weeks, my son and I are going to build 4 Star Wars models together. Trying out a camera with 2k and 4k images. Any input is appreciated.

Here are the first two we did on this rainy Saturday, will build 75052 and video him playing next week.

Edited by legomanual
  • Like 3

Very nicely done. One thing I would change is refrain from having the stop motion shift from one part of the build to another, and just get right into the next part of the build in the immediately following frame, or have a few seconds of video where you physically move around the model. Overall, I really like what you're doing, and keep up the good work!

Nice, I like it! I don't think I have the patience for stop motion. You sometimes have to build it differently than the instructions (total Emmet voice came into my head), keep it in the same place without moving it, and then compile it into a video with each sound at each photo (isn't that difficult?). Very well made, keep making em!

Thanks Comicblast for your feedback! I have used video in the past for transition into different angle, and i think ill probably just go back to video.

I am experimenting with "stop motion" transition method because it can save the overall file size. After Star Wars, i want to build 42030 and i'm afraid the file size might get too huge. Also, my son moves the camera sometimes and usually a different angle is because he wants a different angle, and i just have to make a new transition to a different angle. 

If i stick to stop motion transition, what would you recommend to improve it? more steps? Maybe a longer pause with a video transition effect (e.g. blink, fan over...)?

Thanks Brickson. I really like that screen name! I almost want to call my Son Brickson! Ya, it takes days to do this with my son, and sometimes i just have to look forward a few pages. Or study the manual during dinner with him. Video editing isnt that bad since hotkeys do help.

If i stick to stop motion transition, what would you recommend to improve it? more steps? Maybe a longer pause with a video transition effect (e.g. blink, fan over...)?

​If you stay with the stop motion transition, I would suggest that you make the transition steps a little bit of a longer pause, and then speed up the build steps. It might trick the viewer into believing the transition is "smoother."

My only other suggestion is that you try to keep the camera from moving between build steps. A few times it was distracting.... of course if you had faster build steps I might not have noticed it. ;)

Nice work, which microfighter is up next? My favs are the AT-AT and Snowspeeder from Series 2.

Thanks Comicblast for your feedback! I have used video in the past for transition into different angle, and i think ill probably just go back to video.

I am experimenting with "stop motion" transition method because it can save the overall file size. After Star Wars, i want to build 42030 and i'm afraid the file size might get too huge. Also, my son moves the camera sometimes and usually a different angle is because he wants a different angle, and i just have to make a new transition to a different angle. 

​I would either smoothen it out with more shots, or just have a literal flash to the new angle (first angle, white flash, new angle). Though I'm not a photo/video junky, I would assume it is the slide show equivalent to a "blink", as you put it.

Make the transition steps a little bit of a longer pause, and then speed up the build steps.

keep the camera from (not) moving between build steps

​Very cool! thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate it. I love stop motion, and hope i can perfect it better between transition. Using video is the best method, but ill keep trying stop motion! 

​Very cool! thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate it. I love stop motion, and hope i can perfect it better between transition. Using video is the best method, but ill keep trying stop motion! 

​If you would like to improve with the stop motion videos, I would recommend watching the youtube videos on this channel. The person who does the videos is a member here (can't remember at the moment) and many people like the videos.

​If you would like to improve with the stop motion videos, I would recommend watching the youtube videos on this channel. The person who does the videos is a member here (can't remember at the moment) and many people like the videos.

​All New Bricks is my sons favorite youtube channel. We watched all of his videos over and over. One day while recording my son playing LEGO, i decided to do stop motion with him, upload it on youtube and share it with the grand parents. 
I would love to be like All New Bricks, but my stop motion purpose is to interact with my son. Also, All New Bricks production level, equipment, and talent is a whole new level than mine. But yes, i agree, there are lots of good techniques i can mimic and learn. I never payed attention to his transition until i had todays conversation with all of you. I never knew All New Bricks had a longer pause and soft transition between builds. I think ill try that and see if i can switch angles when my son moves the camera or when we put up the set for the day and come back to a new lighting and camera angle.

So, once again. Thanks for pointing that out. I know "a slow transition" sounds obvious. But I wasnt able to see that until now.

Finally got 75052 Completed! My son and I loved it. Cant believe how much details LEGO put into designing this set and we absolutely loved building it. $56 well spent :)
I've took all of your suggestions and this is my interpretation. Please give feedback, i really wnat to improve: