eBay.ca - Help with Shipping, Listing, Fees etc.

Brasidassp

US border allows the Sale of Canadian Goods in the USA. So there is no reason to be hassled its a simple form you fill out ahead of time:
the CBP 7533

The thing is if your drive across with that Form its a $12 USA charge. Walking across its free. My wife runs a part time eBay store as well as my Brother-in-law we all walk across and ship items from the states Weekly. and since we are using that form never have an issue cause we are doing it all legally and on the level.  Just sucks in the Rain.. ;-)

All my stuff is listed on ebay.com but shows up on both, i just charge a ridiculous amount for in Canada shipping, so i rarely sell things to anyone is canada. But sometimes i do, and then i dont care how much Canada post charges cause its covered by my high shipping charge. 

I also ship internationally from the USA cause its lots cheaper. so stuff going to Europe, etc etc, I just ship it out of Washington.
Got like 5 Packages to mail today, Lucky is nice and sunny.  Nice day for a walk. 

• Like 1

Why screw your fellow Canadians any more than CP does.....? It can’t be any more difficult to print a CP label from your home? Why don’t you just charge CPs cost to Canadian buyers? You’re likely losing out on a lot of sales with that strategy. Any small to mid size parcels to BC destinations won’t run more than $15 CAD. Seems like a weird strat, intentionally cutting yourself off from buyers. Just my observation.

Edit: Don’t let me discourage you from your strategy though, more sales for me ;)

1 minute ago, dahhunter said:

US border allows the Sale of Canadian Goods in the USA. So there is no reason to be hassled its a simple form you fill out ahead of time:
the CBP 7533

The thing is if your drive across with that Form its a $12 USA charge. Walking across its free. My wife runs a part time eBay store as well as my Brother-in-law we all walk across and ship items from the states Weekly. and since we are using that form never have an issue cause we are doing it all legally and on the level.  Just sucks in the Rain.. ;-)

Ahhh, that makes sense. You're not taking much of their time if you do it ahead of time.

I imagine it would also suck if you were trying to ship a half dozen modulars or other big sets unless you had one of these? :) 

Image result for overloaded wagon

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Why screw your fellow Canadians any more than CP does.....? It can’t be any more difficult to print a CP label from your home? Why don’t you just charge CPs cost to Canadian buyers? You’re likely losing out on a lot of sales with that strategy. Any small to mid size parcels to BC destinations won’t run more than $15 CAD. Seems like a weird strat, intentionally cutting yourself off from buyers. Just my observation.

Edit: Don’t let me discourage you from your strategy though, more sales for me

I dont charge more then $15 USD shipping (In Canada) it just seems alot when i know for the same package in the USA it costs 2.55 USD and will get to the east Coast in 2 days or less. 
I only sells Small New in Box sets online.  and Used Misc Stuff, Mini-figures etc etc.. So i doubt im really competing with anyone. PM if you want my ebay user name to have a look at my listings, im all for feedback. 

We are all working together here for the better of the Lego community.  We just do what works for us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dahhunter said:

I dont charge more then $15 USD shipping (In Canada) it just seems alot when i know for the same package in the USA it costs 2.55 USD and will get to the east Coast in 2 days or less. 
I only sells Small New in Box sets online.  and Used Misc Stuff, Mini-figures etc etc.. So i doubt im really competing with anyone. PM if you want my ebay user name to have a look at my listings, im all for feedback. 

We are all working together here for the better of the Lego community.  We just do what works for us. 

You can hate Canada Post all you want, but there is a reason why USPS can get away with charging that little.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/08/10/usps-financial-woes-swell-with-2-1b-net-loss-last-quarter.html

It's pretty complicated as Canada Post isn't exactly a model corporation in Canada but it makes for an interesting comparison. Salaries at both USPS and Canada Post are pretty decent for the type of work done. Canada Post had a net profit of 81 million in 2016. It may sound like a lot, but it's not considering their revenues are around 8 billion a year (that's 1.25%). (2017 isn't out yet .. due by the end of Feb)

https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/aboutus/financialreports/2016_ar_complete_en.pdf

Compare that to USPS who operated on 70 billion dollars of revenue in 2016 and posted a huge loss (pension payments blah blah blah, they had to make them, it counts).

https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2016/pr16_092.htm

Their 2017 was even worse with a huge loss without any outstanding payments AND even failing to make pension and health payments to the US government.

https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2017/pr17_069.htm

So we can complain about high parcel costs (and they are) but USPS is subsidizing their costs by failing to meet pension and health plan obligations ... and if you dig a little deeper, they're in huge trouble as regular stamp mail continues to decline. Their parcel deals with Amazon are helping them to succeed but 'the experts' agree that they do undercharge on parcels to remain competitive but the volume they do allows them to not lose on parcel delivery.

PS I don't really care if you take advantage of what is close to you... Its legal, not even unethical... I just don't agree with the hate for Canada Post. They're not as bad as people believe .. the changing digital world hasn't been kind to any businesses built on letter mail services.

My personal hate has only recently been created with this lost parcel (the first in over $6k worth of revenue I’ve provided them over the past 2.5 years). Because of such a good historical track record with them, the customer service I’ve been provided on this particular issue is abysmal and appalling to say the least! For a company whose sole purpose is to provide customers with a service, I’m shocked by how little effort they’ve apparently put into my claim. It’s made me rather sour!

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

My personal hate has only recently been created with this lost parcel (the first in over $6k worth of revenue I’ve provided them over the past 2.5 years). Because of such a good historical track record with them, the customer service I’ve been provided on this particular issue is abysmal and appalling to say the least! For a company whose sole purpose is to provide customers with a service, I’m shocked by how little effort they’ve apparently put into my claim. It’s made me rather sour!

Yeah, that stinks for sure ... I don't think the lack of respect for your claim is exclusive to Canada Post though. 

Don't quit. If you insured the parcel, you're entitled to a claim... but sadly I believe it takes a long time to get paid.

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

Sign up for the VentureOne business card with Canada post. Free upgraded shipping service, 5% off shipping fees, and better customer service all claims. I've used Canada Post for....ever and only had to put in a claim twice for damaged parcels that both happened going to the USA. I think they put added urgency with venture One members so I've never had a major issue.

I also don't get the overall hate for CanadaPost. I've mailed parcels in the thousands over the years and it all goes well 99.99% of the time.

I’ve been a ‘small business’ customer since month 2 of selling. Hasn’t helped me get anywhere with them yet.

I always print my labels through eBay’s Shippo system though, unless CP has a promotion going like the Free Shipping Tuesday’s last November, in which case I’ll use snap-ship.

I do believe that when eBay switched to Shippo I was prompted to enter my CP card number though, so at least I’m getting my shipping tallies added to my CP membership now, where for the first year I wasn’t.

Shippo discount typically works out to a better discount than using snapship though.

The CP small business membership (venture1) was indeed much better in the past aside from discount shipping you could order free shipping supplies delivered right to your door overnight, preprinted ebay mailers, stickers & labels, flat boxes and all the plastic envelopes & label-lopes you could possible need... I think the only thing you can get free there now is the packingslip pouches and freight pads that work nicely upside down for scrap paper notepads.   it's still useful for some rare shippings that need additional insurance not available from paypal-shipping thou.

3 hours ago, CLMF said:

I sent a package to Arizona with tracked packet USA and it's arriving after the eBay estimated time. I'm worried that the seller will ask for a refund/leave negative feedback and I don't know what's the best way to handle this.

You have tracking and therefore proof of delivery. I can't see ebay punishing you unless its like a month after eBay's ETA. I always give USA customers fair warning of at least 10-15 business days for shipping from Canada and never had a complaint.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I know this thread has been a bit dead, but I have a question about shipping an item from Canada to the United States that's of high value, around $300 cad.

I was just wondering if any customs fees would be charged to my customer. From my knowledge, if it's over $200 USD then the buyer will be charged a fee. Luckily my item is more or less $200 after shipping costs so I can always report it as right around $199. I don't know if that's bad or not.

I also wanted to know whether there would be any repercussions for me to use expedited instead of xpresspost. I know that expedited doesn't have a signature confirmation but is a signature confirmation really required for seller protection? 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Apparently Canada to US duties is 0 for any item under $800, so I'm good for that. Now I just need to know whether to use expedited or xpresspost

Edited by CLMF
in the post

Hey guys, I know this thread has been a bit dead, but I have a question about shipping an item from Canada to the United States that's of high value, around $300 cad.
I was just wondering if any customs fees would be charged to my customer. From my knowledge, if it's over $200 USD then the buyer will be charged a fee. Luckily my item is more or less $200 after shipping costs so I can always report it as right around $199. I don't know if that's bad or not.
I also wanted to know whether there would be any repercussions for me to use expedited instead of xpresspost. I know that expedited doesn't have a signature confirmation but is a signature confirmation really required for seller protection? 

EDIT: Apparently Canada to US duties is 0 for any item under $800, so I'm good for that. Now I just need to know whether to use expedited or xpresspost
Signature confirmation is required for items $750 and over and you only need insurance for the $250-750 range, so send it expedited.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CLMF said:

a couple months ago A seller in Alberta shipped me an UCS MF using Canada Post (he purchased insurance for it). I don't think it was express. Sent to my location in California.  took only a few days and I was able to track it using canadapost.com. There wasn't any customs issues.  I did not need to sign either.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1