10185 - Green Grocer

BuckeyeFanDan

Search and browser manipulation is all over this one. The words "LEGO" and "10185" should not appear in the title. As crappy as the "custom copy" is, if it was listed in the right category and didn't use what effectively amounts to LEGO's MPN in the title it would be allowed.

Yes, I said it.. might be some use to having to specify the MPN after all. And yes I realize they are allowed to use whatever part number they want, but it does fall under a bunch of eBay categories for search and browse manipulation if worded correctly in the complaint.

The one problem with search manipulation I've found lately is with some minifigs.  They mention that the minifig is a replica, but they are selling a single LEGO brick (that is authentic), to go along with the "custom/compatible" minifig.  They are honest in their title and description, that they are selling a LEGO brick.

• 4 months later...
On May 18, 2015 at 10:28:32 PM, Deadfraggle said:

I think you'd be crazy to sell it, but I'm a modular fan so I'm probably bias. I have gone as far as Brick-linking my Green Grocer because I wanted one so bad for my collection. What I have observed, and this is just since about September of 2014, is GG prices on the secondary market have risen from just under $500 USD to as high as $800 USD. If you don't have a strong attachment to modulars, then maybe cashing out for $800+ next month is an attractive position. On the other hand, like others have already said, you probably won't pick up another one in the future for whatever you have wrapped up in your current one.

What happens in a year or two when you decide you really, really want one and the used ones are going for $1000+

Was it worth it to gather your own? I've been eyeing this for years and seriously contemplating ordering through bricks and pieces.

11 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

Was it worth it to gather your own? I've been eyeing this for years and seriously contemplating ordering through bricks and pieces.

Bricks and pieces does not have many of the sand green bricks. Check the prices on bricklink before trying to do it. It has gotten really expensive to piece together a GG. 

Absolutely worth it. Cost me just about $400 through Brick Link. Only had to make a couple small part swaps, i.e. New window style vs original windows, Sand Green 1x4+1x4 or 1x6+1x2 instead of Sandgreen 1x8. I have every modular now except the Cafe Corner and Market Street. I will move on to those after the 1st of the year. I just sold my Brick-linked Imperial Flagship 10210 for $640, so I have a little extra cash to play with. My current project is Brick-linking a 10181 Eiffel Tower.

Edited by Deadfraggle

13 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

Bricklinking a 100% correct Green Grocer will put you back some serious money.  The sand green is rare, and hard to find in the quantities you will need.  Also, there are some other rare parts like the blue arches on the front of the building, white windows, brown 1x4 tiles with writing, etc, etc.  ..............

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Bricklinking a 100% correct Green Grocer will put you back some serious money.  The sand green is rare, and hard to find in the quantities you will need.  Also, there are some other rare parts like the blue arches on the front of the building, white windows, brown 1x4 tiles with writing, etc, etc.  ..............

The Sand Green 1x8s and Sand Green 1x2 with grooves are the real piggy bank busters. Looking at close to $3 USD each and I think you need 50 1x8 and 54 of the 1x2 with grooves. What I did was switch out the  1x8 for a mix of 1x4+1x4 and 1x6+1x2 as described above. For the 1x2 with groove, I used Sand green 1x2 masonry bricks instead. I could have changed colors and saved a considerable amount of money as an alternative. I also swapped out the white windows for the newer style. The original white cat is like $6 so I bought a different white cat. There were a few other parts that were crazy expensive on Bricklink, but actually available on LEGO Shop at Home. I'm willing to concede it's not 100% true to the original, but its darn close, and I don't plan to sell it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

The Sand Green 1x8s and Sand Green 1x2 with grooves are the real piggy bank busters. Looking at close to $3 USD each and I think you need 50 1x8 and 54 of the 1x2 with grooves. What I did was switch out the  1x8 for a mix of 1x4+1x4 and 1x6+1x2 as described above. For the 1x2 with groove, I used Sand green 1x2 masonry bricks instead. I could have changed colors and saved a considerable amount of money as an alternative. I also swapped out the white windows for the newer style. The original white cat is like $6 so I bought a different white cat. There were a few other parts that were crazy expensive on Bricklink, but actually available on LEGO Shop at Home. I'm willing to concede it's not 100% true to the original, but its darn close, and I don't plan to sell it.

Agreed, ok to sub if for display only. Remind me how much this set you back?

29 minutes ago, ebelle122 said:

Agreed, ok to sub if for display only. Remind me how much this set you back?

Hard to tell exactly because some orders contained parts for other sets to minimize my shipping cost from any individual store. My closet guess is probably $375 USD + or - $20. 

Pros: #1 all new parts with no concerns about pets, smoke, discoloration, fading, etc #2 got to pay for the set a little at a time as I made 1 to 2 orders per month #3 saved probably $200 over eBay pricing for used sets #4 sense of accomplishment to bricklink a 2000+ piece set.

Cons: #1 no box or instructions, which could easily set me back $100 + USD each to pick up later #2 not 100% original as discussed so resale is really diminished. Unless LEGO releases new sets with sand green 1x8 and/or 1x2 with grooves it would cost me about $300 to get the original parts I needed. #3 very labor and time consuming to acquire all the parts individually. The first 1500 are easy, it's the last 800 that take the effort and money. I probably made 10 separate orders.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Hard to tell exactly because some orders contained parts for other sets to minimize my shipping cost from any individual store. My closet guess is probably $375 USD + or - $20. 

Pros: #1 all new parts with no concerns about pets, smoke, discoloration, fading, etc #2 got to pay for the set a little at a time as I made 1 to 2 orders per month #3 saved probably $200 over eBay pricing for used sets #4 sense of accomplishment to bricklink a 2000+ piece set.

Cons: #1 no box or instructions, which could easily set me back $100 + USD each to pick up later #2 not 100% original as discussed so resale is really diminished. Unless LEGO releases new sets with sand green 1x8 and/or 1x2 with grooves it would cost me about $300 to get the original parts I needed. #3 very labor and time consuming to acquire all the parts individually. The first 1500 are easy, it's the last 800 that take the effort and money. I probably made 10 separate orders.

I think I might start scrounging. I wonder if the WM creative box will have any parts in common. I like the idea of buying a bit at a time vs. spending a big chunk on the whole thing. The saddest part was that it was still selling NISB for $500 when I first started looking at it. Now I think I'd rather make my own hodge podge of new pieces than buy a used set. Thanks for your input! Now I know what to save up for next.

• 3 months later...

last week i picked up a used with box and manuals 10185 green grocer for $750 shipped.   amazing how used 10185s were selling for 'just' $500ish in Spring 2014 and prices are now above $800 when original parts and manuals are included.  i do think the demand for 10185 has been greater than 10182 cafe corner as 10185 was a nice upgrade in overall design / elements used.

can't wait to build it.  i'll do a build review blog for this and cafe corner 1/in the next 6 weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I had a question about how to know if a set is genuine or not. I'm looking at buying a sealed Green Grocer 10185 from a store that for some reason has me wondering if it is genuine or not (its very cheap and the store seems a bit dodgy). I've had a look at the box and it seems fine, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Have fake versions of these sets been produced at all? The box looks genuine. Im just worried that when I get it home it might be fake or have pieces missing etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Take a picture and post it. 

17 hours ago, Andrewreed7 said:

Hi there,

I had a question about how to know if a set is genuine or not. I'm looking at buying a sealed Green Grocer 10185 from a store that for some reason has me wondering if it is genuine or not (its very cheap and the store seems a bit dodgy). I've had a look at the box and it seems fine, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Have fake versions of these sets been produced at all? The box looks genuine. Im just worried that when I get it home it might be fake or have pieces missing etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1