76039 - Ant-Man Final Battle

TheOrcKing

19 hours ago, Lego Collector 777 said:

found some ant man sets at $28.23 (after taxes) . 

Should I buy them all at that price? 

Would it be worth it if I bought them at those prices for an investment in the next year or so? and then sell them online??

any thoughts or opinions on this?

Depends on how many...if there are quite a few on the shelf I'd probably monitor them at RRP and see if I could find a way to get them cheaper (you didn't mention where they were at - coupons or sth might work). Plenty of Canucks got them at $19.99 + BOGO 50% (me included double digits) so your buy in is more than $10 more after taxes. If there are only a couple, I'd probably bite just to hedge my bets that this will continue its early performance.

2 hours ago, Veegs said:

Depends on how many...if there are quite a few on the shelf I'd probably monitor them at RRP and see if I could find a way to get them cheaper (you didn't mention where they were at - coupons or sth might work). Plenty of Canucks got them at $19.99 + BOGO 50% (me included double digits) so your buy in is more than $10 more after taxes. If there are only a couple, I'd probably bite just to hedge my bets that this will continue its early performance.

Saw some at a Canadian tire store.  Any discounts or coupons I could use to get them cheaper at this time of year? 

It's not comparable. 6862 was out forever, clearanced forever and has these really rare minifigures: superman, wonder woman, and let luther (sarcasm). Nothing is really special about it. Final battle possibly only appearance of Hank Pym and yellow jacket, a cool ant, currently only ant man minifigure, short shelf life, not readily available throughout its production run, and clearanced and gone before we could blink. Not apples and oranges, it's comparing apples to dog poo

• Like 7

On 1/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, lodibricks said:

Kinda surprised to think this is comparable to 6862, which has been gone for quite a while and still $24.99 currently on Amazon. Ant-Man just sold out and is already $45-50.

6862 was available for 2-3 years.  Ant-man was available for less than a year and disappeared so suddenly that most people were caught off guard and didn't have time to stock up.  The better comparison for Ant-Man would be 6866, which did something similar a few years back.

• Like 1

I tend to think 6862 and 6860 would have performed so much better if they were out for the standard 2 year cycle, but LEGO gave them a 3rd year in 2014 which really hurt them.  For 6862 it had no time to hold onto the exclusivity of the Superman and Wonder Woman minifigures which were available again in early 2015 sets.  If it had retired at the end of 2013, there would have been some breathing room for it to sell at a higher price on the secondary market before the 2015 wave was released.

on top of the massive production run of 6862 Power Lex and Black Zero Escape have been forever hosed by  76046 Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle which has just about all the minifigures from both sets.  i started dumping 6862's a while ago at 22.99-24.99 buyin 13.49.  was going to give it a break but 76046 is the nail in the coffin.

I actually saw 76046 on the shelf at target a couple of days ago - did not realize it wasn't officially released yet.  did not even have it on my radar and was like $%&!!!@& there goes my wasted money in 6862 and BZE when i saw the minifigures.

with respect to Ant-Man, you can't underestimate the effect of a 6 month lifespan (e.g. very limited production) of a super hero set with rare minifigures that are actually core Marvel characters.  plus this set had a botched launch (just like Poe's Xwing and Wall-E).  i have been loading up on Ant-Man every time i saw them on the shelves because i like the box (cool artwork, small and cheap to ship) cleaned out the targets around hartford last weekend for $13.98.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cladner said:

on top of the massive production run of 6862 Power Lex and Black Zero Escape have been forever hosed by  76046 Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle which has just about all the minifigures from both sets.  

Those minifigures couldn't be more different even if they are the same characters.  I'm sure it makes no difference to soccer mom, but she's buying this set at Target and probably isn't wasting her time looking at 6862 on eBay or Amazon anyways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Better start grabbing then.........

I would be very surprised if they're still around. Once this set officially retired they seem to of disappeared. Walmart had a pile but at MRSP. Not sure if full price is worth it short term but likely long term. I'm sitting on 50 of these at MRSP.  Not sure how I feel about paying full price but I have 90 days to decide.

Edited by nami
addition

Better start grabbing then.........

I would be very surprised if they're still around. Once this set officially retired they seem to of disappeared. Walmart had a pile but at MRSP. Not sure if full price is worth it short term but likely long term. I'm sitting on 50 of these at MRSP.  Not sure how I feel about paying full price but I have 90 days to decide.

You can't be serious? It's already double msrp on Amazon. It will be triple msrp or more by Christmas. I'd buy a 100 for msrp right now lol

• Like 1