60098 - Heavy Haul Train

jay4e

I dunno what to think about this one. I like 3677 better. What's the deal with this choppah!?

​Exactly what I was thinking... Do they have to put a helicopter in every set? Another "heavy" piece of machinery would have been nicer.

​Didn´t you read the helicopter memo?

​I don't read memos unless there is a $20 bill stapled to them. ;)

Seriously, helicopters are neat and all but it's usually the first item to get broken or dismantled in any of the LEGO sets that we own. Second is cranes like the one in this set... they always rip them apart trying to wind the hook or yank them over trying to unwind it. Oh well, money saved - this set isn't for us!

​Exactly what I was thinking... Do they have to put a helicopter in every set? Another "heavy" piece of machinery would have been nicer.

​Like a tank?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this release will affect the life expectancy of 60052 - Cargo Train?

​I much prefer 60052 to this one.  This reminds me more of 7939.

• Like 2

​Like a tank?

​I much prefer 60052 to this one.  This reminds me more of 7939.

​Regarding the engine, "reminds" is quite the euphemism. It's basically a 1:1 copy in red.

Then again, call me boring, but I'm not that opposed to somewhat more uniformity when it comes to trains.

Same MSRP as 7939, but not even comparable in part out value. This set has the engine and one good car, the flatbed with tractor will be a real winner, but the other two cars are not so great. 7939 had an octan tanker, the boxcar, and a car transport, all have proven popular train cars plus the freight truck with container, a decent crane and tons of track, tons of part out value. I think this one for having the same price point falls short and would say it was disappointing if not for the tractor car, which is probably not enough to carry the set. That said I also think the cars on 60052 could have been better but it has the way cool crane station, the cattle car should have been more realistic. 

Edited by junkrigger

Same MSRP as 7939, but not even comparable in part out value. This set has the engine and one good car, the flatbed with tractor will be a real winner, but the other two cars are not so great. 7939 had an octan tanker, the boxcar, and a car transport, all have proven popular train cars plus the freight truck with container, a decent crane and tons of track, tons of part out value. I think this one for having the same price point falls short and would say it was disappointing if not for the tractor car, which is probably not enough to carry the set. That said I also think the cars on 60052 could have been better but it has the way cool crane station, the cattle car should have been more realistic. 

​I was going to type that I thought the engines were extremely similar but I hadn't looked very closely to them and didn't want the train snobs to come after me and point out the small differences :)

• Like 1

​Like a tank?

​Hehe.... sure, that would work. :) Or they could have stuck with the construction theme and included a dump truck to haul the cargo to the loading center. The helicopter is pathetic.

​I was going to type that I thought the engines were extremely similar but I hadn't looked very closely to them and didn't want the train snobs to come after me and point out the small differences :)

​It's different along the sides but otherwise very similar indeed. This one does come with more straight tracks and no flexi tracks and switching tracks ... but overall, the total length of tracks is less.

Ya looks like the track amounts are fairly comparable, more straight track to compensate for no switches, though the switches add a lot of playability and options for layouts.  Still I think the main difference will be if you try to sell the cars individually, though I can see the tractor car fetching $50-60 easily once its gone. The crane and hopper car is pretty cool also, so I guess its growing on me.  Would go well with the harbor set 4645.

It`s not bad, but is anyone else getting tired of these slight changes made to trains over the last how many years? Can we get something different? Another classic train like Emerald Express would be a nice start. Agreed as well, the chopper seems out of place and looks like they just tossed it in there. 

The city trains have always been kinda similar (4512- 3677,10157-7897-60051)  the new cargo train engine is really kinda different than most previous. Can't really compare Creator line trains such as Emerald, BNSF, Maersk, Horizon etc, with city trains, and we did just have the Horizon and Maersk both of which were pretty detailed and cool in their own way.  I would expect another of this caliber in the works soon.  I personally would really like to see something like the santa fe super chief and its cars, or a new hobby train. Would really like to see a new creator caliber train engine shed or station.

Edited by junkrigger

We had early pics of this set a few months ago, back when 60052 was Sold Out on most of the lego SAH sites.   Just a theory, but the American-style cargo train in 60052 may not have sold as well in the EU, and this kit may be an attempt to address that issue.  I wouldn't mind if 60052 disappeared early.  I've got my quota thanks to recent discounts.

• 2 weeks later...

​"I didn't buy 60052 because I didn't find it very appealing: the US-style locomotive and the cattle truck in particular, the likes of which haven't existed for around 100 years in the UK, so it just didn't do it for me."

Do people in the UK really think this is what a contemporary US cattle transport looks like? Then I guess it's fair to assume that 3677 accurately depicts how toxic materials are transported in Europe ;)

I really don't intend to instigate some stupid flame war, it's just that the cattle car always somewhat annyoed me as it's so unrealistic. But this is my POV as an AFOL and I don't expect TLG to cater too much to my expectations with a set that says 6-12 on the box. From my first hand experience, kids tend to love this particular car the most.

​"I didn't buy 60052 because I didn't find it very appealing: the US-style locomotive and the cattle truck in particular, the likes of which haven't existed for around 100 years in the UK, so it just didn't do it for me."

Do people in the UK really think this is what a contemporary US cattle transport looks like? Then I guess it's fair to assume that 3677 accurately depicts how toxic materials are transported in Europe ;)

I really don't intend to instigate some stupid flame war, it's just that the cattle car always somewhat annyoed me as it's so unrealistic. But this is my POV as an AFOL and I don't expect TLG to cater too much to my expectations with a set that says 6-12 on the box. From my first hand experience, kids tend to love this particular car the most.

​"That's a suggestion. They have to put that on there."

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on with this set?  I have only seen it at shop at home and not on any Amazon's at retail or discounted.  Is this set being treated as more of an exclusive?  I love all the train sets but really try to get at a discount.  

I've seen it at my TRU, so there's always the discount there. I'd expect this to go the way of Passenger Train and Cargo Train and be available at discount at some point via Amazon...it's only been out a very short time.

edit: No one "knows" anything about anything...despite their claims. :notme:

Edited by themoose9