70738 - Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty

Darth_Raichu

On 03/12/2016 at 5:05 PM, TheGallows said:

Whats people thoughts on this set now. Picked up one @ 50% off, with the opportunity to get more... Its retiring soon but I don't really follow or invest in this theme, anyone like this?'

I have considered buying one @ 50% off, but concluded that my money is safer in other sets.

For a LEGO set to increase in value way above original RRP is has to be collectible. People need to want it desperately enough that they're willing to pay way above original price for it, which means there shouldn't be alternatives for it. And also the target audience should be considered. Adults will generally spend more money for something they want for themselves than on a present for a child. Since Ninjago is a Lego theme for kids to play with, rather than build up and put on display, chances are considerably smaller that a future parent will pay well above RRP for this set for their kid, while there are other current Ninjago sets available to purchase.  

Of course, the same could be said about Lego City Fire/Police stations for example, and older versions of those sets still sell while newer versions are easily found in stores. ;) 

• Like 2

I agree with Haay and Sozial, but at the same time there are Ninjago sets that do extremely well once retired (Overborg Attack, Thunder Raider, Golden Dragon). That said, I watched a lot of the season that this set was from and I hated it. Other seasons have been OK to borderline enjoyable. Personally, I'd be staying away from this one, but who knows? 

This set doesn't quite do it for me. It's not bad, but not quite there. For me I want Ninjago sets to be seriously displayable pieces like the Temple of Airjitzu or maybe a couple of the older retired sets that could go along with it in a set-up, as sort of a near as possible authentic oriental theme. I don't think this set is quite there, in my opinion. These are just my views though and everyone is different. I wouldn't buy into this personally unless it was dirt cheap and an easy flip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I am kind of shocked this set hasn't been great from a reseller standpoint since it is a ship but maybe it is just a theme.

Has it ever been sold out though? I constantly see this set out there at retail. There's always a couple on the shelf at TRU or Target.

I'll have to check seal codes next time I see one.

18 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Has it ever been sold out though? I constantly see this set out there at retail. There's always a couple on the shelf at TRU or Target.

I'll have to check seal codes next time I see one.

I think it's sold out online pretty much everywhere now.  It was 45% off from Target and Amazon for awhile this month.  I flipped several dozen of the first Destiny's Bounty for ~$50 profit per set.  A set doesn't have to double to be worthwhile, if it's big enough and you buy at a substantial discount from MSRP.  As boats go, I like this one a lot better than the last Lego pirate ship.

• Like 1