Ideas #010: 21302 - The Big Bang Theory

Quality and investment potential are two different kinds of things when it comes to TV shows. It remains yet to be seen if TV show sets can really be investment winners in the long run. From my experience with other toys I can only say that interest fades very fast as soon as a show ends. And there are many people here being skeptical about the Simpsons line, too, for a reason.

I think with the rise of Hulu, Netflix, and the concept of "Cord Cutting" there MIGHT (I stress might, cuz I have no info to back this up) be more of a chance that shows endure a bit longer than they used to.  I just recently discovered some shows that have been on for a while and have gotten really into them.  I haven't even started watching Breaking Bad yet, but have it on my list.  I know it ended already, but I haven't even "discovered" it yet.

I don't disagree, just think that there is a new wrinkle in the TV show angle that wasn't there a few years ago.

I've been watching the QFLL market on this set today, since it hit Comic Con, and I figured we'd see it on eBay.  Of course, it's there.

Lego booth had a limit of 2 per person, and expected to be sold out before the day was over.  It seemed like they thought that was it for the show, but you never know.  (PS - Lego booth, as far as sales are concerned, is run by Legoland California - and no, your annual pass discount does not work).

This is selling for $60 at the booth, but going for around $100-$115 on eBay.

By my estimates, people are only clearing about $10-$15 on this set.

I've been watching the QFLL market on this set today, since it hit Comic Con, and I figured we'd see it on eBay.  Of course, it's there.

Lego booth had a limit of 2 per person, and expected to be sold out before the day was over.  It seemed like they thought that was it for the show, but you never know.  (PS - Lego booth, as far as sales are concerned, is run by Legoland California - and no, your annual pass discount does not work).

I kind of thin it's closer to $20-$25 One example I looked at, the math looks like this $98 *.89 -.3 - (60*1.08) = $22.12 unless there is some fee that I didn't take into account it should be like that $98 sales price (not including separate shipping) 8% ebay fees and 3% paypal fees leave you with 89% minus the additional .30 that Paypal surcharges, San Diego sales tax shows 8% so $64.80 for the set. Sure, not a lot of profit, especially when you take into account that you probably spent at least an hour trying to procure it. But for some it's good enough, especially considering it will be widely available in 3 weeks

Edited by thoroakenfelder

I kind of thin it's closer to $20-$25 One example I looked at, the math looks like this $98 *.89 -.3 - (60*1.08) = $22.12 unless there is some fee that I didn't take into account it should be like that $98 sales price (not including separate shipping) 8% ebay fees and 3% paypal fees leave you with 89% minus the additional .30 that Paypal surcharges, San Diego sales tax shows 8% so $64.80 for the set. Sure, not a lot of profit, especially when you take into account that you probably spent at least an hour trying to procure it. But for some it's good enough, especially considering it will be widely available in 3 weeks

Seems silly to me to let them go for so cheap...

Edited by dcdfan

Did that include free shipping? Did you calculate the fees on the shipping portion if not? Are you sure the seller was only paying 8% fees and not the 10% for regular sellers (no store, no top-rated discount)?

(yes I hate these discussions :))

- With free shipping, knock another $10 or so off?
- Even it didn't include free shipping, knock another $1 or so off the profit for fees on shipping.

- Without top rated discount, take $2 more off.

So depending on the seller, it could be under $20 profit for your time... if the box to ship it in was free. And of course there's the part your going to give back in taxes. QFLL'ing is a dangerous game. Doing it in large quantities (JW Polybag comes to mind) is what makes it worthwhile to me.

• Like 1

Probably closer to $15-$20

The glamour of QFLL :P

Did that include free shipping? Did you calculate the fees on the shipping portion if not? Are you sure the seller was only paying 8% fees and not the 10% for regular sellers (no store, no top-rated discount)?

(yes I hate these discussions :))

- With free shipping, knock another $10 or so off?
- Even it didn't include free shipping, knock another $1 or so off the profit for fees on shipping.

- Without top rated discount, take $2 more off.

So depending on the seller, it could be under $20 profit for your time... if the box to ship it in was free. And of course there's the part your going to give back in taxes. QFLL'ing is a dangerous game. Doing it in large quantities (JW Polybag comes to mind) is what makes it worthwhile to me.

It was not free shipping, and I had a feeling that the shipping charge included some padding, so I didn't take that into account, because I assumed it took care of itself, for all I know his shipping charge adds additional profit. But, what neither of us took into account was the listing fee.

It was not free shipping, and I had a feeling that the shipping charge included some padding, so I didn't take that into account, because I assumed it took care of itself, for all I know his shipping charge adds additional profit. But, what neither of us took into account was the listing fee.

That was kind of my point... these "how much did they make" games are pointless. If someone wants to QFLL, let's just trust that a) they know what they're doing, b ) they're satisfied with the potential profit or c) they have no idea what they're doing and who cares if they don't.

:)

• Like 2

That was kind of my point... these "how much did they make" games are pointless. If someone wants to QFLL, let's just trust that a) they know what they're doing, b ) they're satisfied with the potential profit or c) they have no idea what they're doing and who cares if they don't.

:)

I didn't see your original post, so in case the question was directed to me at all, I have a calculator set up on my phone that takes all of those inputs and spits out a final clearing value. Gives me a quick look at whether it's worth it to QFLL something. For me, punching in the numbers, and making an educated guess to the risk I have to accept, I said no.
  • Like 1

@ravnenb99 your behind the times

QFLL is too slow.

It is now 

SQFLL

Join in the fun

I'm old school like that, so SQFLL or TQFLL for me.  Save that for the "younger" generation.  Getting to old for anything faster than QF

I didn't see your original post, so in case the question was directed to me at all, I have a calculator set up on my phone that takes all of those inputs and spits out a final clearing value. Gives me a quick look at whether it's worth it to QFLL something. For me, punching in the numbers, and making an educated guess to the risk I have to accept, I said no.

you should patent that, the QFLL calculator.  Probably do well with it.  Has ebay and amazon fees and current postage rates all in.  Just put in your price and click.

easy.jpg

• Like 1

oooooo. An Alpinemaps QFLL App?...... I want one!

I didn't see your original post, so in case the question was directed to me at all, I have a calculator set up on my phone that takes all of those inputs and spits out a final clearing  value. Gives me a quick look at whether it's worth it to QFLL something. For me, punching in the numbers, and making an educated guess to the risk I have to accept, I said no.

Wasn't directed at you... It doesn't bother me when someone says something like "just don't see the point for $10-$15" and it's clear they're just taking a rough guess (personal calculator or not... I just do those calcs in my head ;)). Lots of us do it... rather it's when people try to get all detailed down to the last $ on what someone else is making. Who cares what they're making, we don't really know.

On the other hand, if you're going to QFLL or SQFLL or WTFCATKQFLL (no, I can't tell you what that means ;)) then you just need to know what you're comfortable with and obviously you thought about it for yourself (something that often doesn't happen around here, and no that shot wasn't directed at @thoroakenfelder because he did think for himself).

@thoroakenfelder all I'm really saying is debating down to the finer details how much someone makes on a QFLL is pointless. :)

• Like 2

Wasn't directed at you... It doesn't bother me when someone says something like "just don't see the point for $10-$15" and it's clear they're just taking a rough guess (personal calculator or not... I just do those calcs in my head ;)). Lots of us do it... rather it's when people try to get all detailed down to the last $ on what someone else is making. Who cares what they're making, we don't really know.

On the other hand, if you're going to QFLL or SQFLL or WTFCATKQFLL (no, I can't tell you what that means ;)) then you just need to know what you're comfortable with and obviously you thought about it for yourself (something that often doesn't happen around here, and no that shot wasn't directed at @thoroakenfelder because he did think for himself).

@thoroakenfelder all I'm really saying is debating down to the finer details how much someone makes on a QFLL is pointless. :)

that cat really does rule , probably not site friendly though