Ideas #010: 21302 - The Big Bang Theory

I'm not a fan of the show but I'm digging the set. There are a lot of nice details in the apartment build and the minifigs looks very cool. I'm not sure how it will do in the aftermarket but my guess is that most lego collectors will want the set for the unique parts alone.

The set looks decent, though I think the apartment scene looks cramped and small compared to what could have been made, especially with all the minifigs crammed in there.  Minifigs are okay, but some are disappointments, though I'm a fan of the show and the set is cool overall.  I'll likely buy one for my personal use before it's retired, but not sure about investment.  This is a very niche set, but some could say so was Ecto-1 or the Delorean, though both of those were based on iconic 1980's movies.

I don't think Lego will make the same mistake with this set, and other future IDEAS sets, as other earlier IDEAS sets that had initial limited distribution.  I think Lego learned their lesson after the RI release.  Birds has been widely released as has Exo-Suit after the initial limited production.  For investment, I think IDEAS sets now need to be evaluated on merit rather than anticipated initial amount of numbers released.  Based on licensed sets (e.g., Ecto-1, Delorean), one would assume the Big Bang set would be around for at least one year.  At least, that's my opinion.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Slightly off topic, as the realase for this set is later in the year, when do you think wall-e Dr Who will be released?

Stomping

​not soon enough. I know this didn't help but couldn't resist. 

tip toeing 

At long last, here it is ... the upcoming LEGO Ideas The Big Bang Theory set!

​Huh, so that's what a 'sitcom-in-a-box' looks like. I will give LEGO a hand for keeping the design very close to the original submission. Shoot, right out of the box the design is ready for animating and I expect to see a handful of fan-flicks pop up across YouTube soon after release. The layout of this diorama does feel rather 'homey' and is nice all-around.

Slightly off topic, as the realase for this set is later in the year, when do you think wall-e Dr Who will be released?

Stomping

​I don't know when but I am snatching myself the Doctor Who one in a flash upon release.

• Like 1

The set looks decent, though I think the apartment scene looks cramped and small compared to what could have been made, especially with all the minifigs crammed in there.  Minifigs are okay, but some are disappointments, though I'm a fan of the show and the set is cool overall.  I'll likely buy one for my personal use before it's retired, but not sure about investment.  This is a very niche set, but some could say so was Ecto-1 or the Delorean, though both of those were based on iconic 1980's movies.

I don't think Lego will make the same mistake with this set, and other future IDEAS sets, as other earlier IDEAS sets that had initial limited distribution.  I think Lego learned their lesson after the RI release.  Birds has been widely released as has Exo-Suit after the initial limited production.  For investment, I think IDEAS sets now need to be evaluated on merit rather than anticipated initial amount of numbers released.  Based on licensed sets (e.g., Ecto-1, Delorean), one would assume the Big Bang set would be around for at least one year.  At least, that's my opinion.

​Maybe they should oblige all first month buyers to bundle it with Exo Suits on 3 to 1 ratio - that will put the brakes on the QFLL´s.

It's a fine set, but I (also) think it could have been just a little bit more spacy... (meaning more room ;-) ). For the price I'll get it! (At least one copy for me and maybe one for bad times ;-) )

​That´s why you need to bundle it with RI to put Amy and Bernadette there and throw out the RI minifigs!

It could have been a cool idea to have made a modular of the building with the stairwell, broken lift and Penny´s flat.

• Like 1

I'm sure availability will be extensive given that it's a licensed set, so that should put a ceiling on where this set could go. I wouldn't expect another RI situation for this one. And I don't even know if it's great for a long term hold because, despite it being popular during its run, that show is hardly a classic and will be instantly forgotten the day after the series ends.

​What makes a classic anyway?   It's in it's 8th season now contracted for 3 more... It's not likely to match the 28 year run of the Simpsons, but that will put it right on target for matching M*A*S*H, Cheers & the Jeffersons.  It has it's share of typecast characters who'll likely always be known for their rolls on the show (dose anyone even remember their rolls on Rosanne or Charmed?.  of course it's the catch phrases that make a classic & it's got plenty of those.   Would you consider Friends a classic? - it's the same show justa decade later (give or take).  :-)

I agree not expecting another RI but then not another POP either...

"The Big Bang Theory" (21302) a.k.a. "The Prince of Persia of the Ideas line", as investors will soon call it...

Not hardly. I don't know why I am responding to this, perhaps to help the six people that don't already know, this show has two things PoP didn't:  Fans and Quality. I got a little worn out on it 2-3 years ago but that doesn't mean it is not any good.

In fact, I would say BBT, the Marvel movies, and Lego are the three driving forces in America making geekery cool these days.

Sheldon needs taller pants...

​You can borrow some from Lord Business and make it right!

• Like 2

​What makes a classic anyway?   It's in it's 8th season now contracted for 3 more... It's not likely to match the 28 year run of the Simpsons, but that will put it right on target for matching M*A*S*H, Cheers & the Jeffersons.  It has it's share of typecast characters who'll likely always be known for their rolls on the show (dose anyone even remember their rolls on Rosanne or Charmed?.  of course it's the catch phrases that make a classic & it's got plenty of those.   Would you consider Friends a classic? - it's the same show justa decade later (give or take).  :-)

​Oh oh oh oh I know this.  My wife loved Charmed and I believe the actress who played Penny was one of the girls who were supposed to be the next Charmed ones.  I suspected there was a Charmed spinoff that was canned.

But she was also in "8 Simple Rules for dating my teenage daughter" sitcom with the late John Ritter.  This was actually a pretty good sitcom until Ritter passed and it never got its mojo back.

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Not hardly. I don't know why I am responding to this, perhaps to help the six people that don't already know, this show has two things PoP didn't:  Fans and Quality. I got a little worn out on it 2-3 years ago but that doesn't mean it is not any good.

Quality and investment potential are two different kinds of things when it comes to TV shows. It remains yet to be seen if TV show sets can really be investment winners in the long run. From my experience with other toys I can only say that interest fades very fast as soon as a show ends. And there are many people here being skeptical about the Simpsons line, too, for a reason.

​I think the characters will prevent people from looking back fondly on the show. They are all shameless stereotypes and generally negative ones at that: The nerd, the autistic guy, the dumb blonde, and the other 2 guys who are just unflattering ethnic stereotypes. All TV shows have stereotypes and shallow characters but is there even a single character on BBT who has any depth? Maybe Leonard but even then it's not much. This show is the Big Mac of TV shows: You get some cheap enjoyment from it when there's nothing else around, but no one with any taste would ever deem it to be quality, and if it suddenly disappeared one day you'd move on to one of countless similar offerings elsewhere.

​I think the characters will prevent people from looking back fondly on the show. They are all shameless stereotypes and generally negative ones at that: The nerd, the autistic guy, the dumb blonde, and the other 2 guys who are just unflattering ethnic stereotypes. All TV shows have stereotypes and shallow characters but is there even a single character on BBT who has any depth? Maybe Leonard but even then it's not much. This show is the Big Mac of TV shows: You get some cheap enjoyment from it when there's nothing else around, but no one with any taste would ever deem it to be quality, and if it suddenly disappeared one day you'd move on to one of countless similar offerings elsewhere.

possibly indeed, like ​Archie & Edith  

(& the LaSalle still runs great!)

Quality and investment potential are two different kinds of things when it comes to TV shows. It remains yet to be seen if TV show sets can really be investment winners in the long run. From my experience with other toys I can only say that interest fades very fast as soon as a show ends. And there are many people here being skeptical about the Simpsons line, too, for a reason.

​I get that. I have a Dwight Schrute bobblehead on my desk along with a Dunder Mifflin coffee cup. We obviously loved The Office while it was on, but now I'm staring at these thinking it's probably time to move on. At least now I know a BBT replacement mug will still be relevant for another 3 years.

Here my current moc Big Bang mini figures. I think Howard is better that the Lego one.

Stomping

​I felt like a simple "like" is not enough so I want to give you a written one as well: LIKE! ;-)

Especially love the older version of Han Solo (?) in the back ^.^ I take it these are all customized minifigs (BBT)?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou. The big bang are all moc's, Han Solo I just changed his hair for a grey one I had already. I remade the 2nd trailer for a you tube video.

Stomping

I felt like a simple "like" is not enough so I want to give you a written one as well: LIKE! ;-)

Especially love the older version of Han Solo (?) in the back ^.^ I take it these are all customized minifigs (BBT)?

Edited by StompingFreak
Spelling