KMart - Bleak outlook and poor earnings are weighing down this sinking ship

Couple of random "signs" and musings though:

1. In-store SYW point redemption was down this morning. One of my stores (with the best clearance sets :( ) still could not process point payments when I came in at 3:30pm. Worked fine in other store even though it had been down earlier in the day there too.

2.  FYI per SYW, SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE FROM 10:00 pm PDT to 8:00 am PDT [By: MAGIC Sweeps Links & Codes] (Regarding WinIt and Sweeps - curious if this is just maintenance or if we will see drastic changes in either the way Sweeps/WinIt works, or the frequency of winning)

3. I cashed out on Monday (got down to $2 in points), cashed out today again (had managed to get $30 in points in just 3 days from Sweeps). The fact that there is no bankrupcy announcement yet means I can continue building this up again :) Should be a $5 on $5+ toys FC coming out on the 15th (if you text TOYS to Kmart), and hopefully another good Sweeps Weekly FC offer (last week's $8 on $8+ was awesome). As long as they keep on paying the bills until Oct 2nd, I've got $25 coming from the $50 cashback promo that I wouldn't mind using on some clearance LEGO.

Plus the Harry Potter Whomping Willow I ordered actually shipped despite "processing" for two weeks and CS initiating a refund two days ago. I doubt the refund will go through now, but at least I'm getting the thing I ordered.

Over in Win Club on FB the guy in charge said they were doing computer maintenance stuff today and there was a points outage last week as well. Hard to keep good IT when you keep letting people go.

From thelayoff.com:
Below is from the 10Q statement filed with the SEC yesterday. It lays out the threshold of default then goes on to say that as of August 4 they were below that threshold, if they go another quarter below the threshold, it’s over.

“If we continue to experience operating losses and we are not able to generate additional liquidity through the actions described above or through some combination of other actions, then our liquidity needs may exceed availability under our Amended Domestic Credit Agreement, our second lien line of credit loan facility and our other existing facilities, and we might need to secure additional sources of funds, which may or may not be available to us. A failure to secure such additional funds could cause us to be in default under the Amended Domestic Credit Agreement or other financing agreement. Additionally, a failure to generate additional liquidity could negatively impact our access to inventory or services that are important to the operation of our business. Moreover, if the borrowing base (as calculated pursuant to our outstanding second lien debt) falls below the principal amount of such second lien debt plus the principal amount of any other indebtedness for borrowed money that is secured by liens on the collateral for such debt on the last day of any two consecutive quarters, it could trigger an obligation to repurchase our New Senior Secured Notes in an amount equal to such deficiency. As of August 4, 2018, our borrowing base was below the above threshold, and if our borrowing base is below the above threshold at the end of our third quarter of 2018, it would trigger an obligation to repurchase or repay second lien debt, in an amount equal to the excess of our funded debt secured by liens on our inventory as of November 3, 2018 over the borrowing base. If we fail to make such repurchase or repayment, we would be in violation of our covenants under our Second Lien Credit Agreement and the indenture relating to our New Senior Secured Notes.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, keymomachine said:

Plus the Harry Potter Whomping Willow I ordered actually shipped despite "processing" for two weeks and CS initiating a refund two days ago. I doubt the refund will go through now, but at least I'm getting the thing I ordered.

Over in Win Club on FB the guy in charge said they were doing computer maintenance stuff today and there was a points outage last week as well. Hard to keep good IT when you keep letting people go.

I hope your set wasn't shipped in a bag. ? I start to feel bad for Kmart and then get a reminder why I stopped ordering from them.
20180924_101632.thumb.jpg.a84c9e061197e4e5bca2a2a0ec247a1b.jpg

Is anyone else investing in the spend $75 get $75 back in 3 installments.  I have been buying tools and using cashback on Lego. I even did the spend $200 get $200 along with the $60 get $60 and $50 get $50 that they had..Just curious if I was the only one taking the risk in hopes that they stay in business till the end of the year ???

Edited by Fleck
  • Like 1

Is anyone else investing in the spend $75 get $75 back in 3 installments.  I have been buying tools and using cashback on Lego. I even did the spend $200 get $200 along with the $60 get $60 and $50 get $50 that they had..Just curious if I was the only one taking the risk in hopes that they stay in business till the end of the year ???
Not so much "investing", but I am participating in the $75 back on $75 (received $25 so far with the next $25 due on 10/1) and the $300 back on $300 (received $25, next $25 due 10/15). With participating I mean that I got a great deal on stuff I already have, and these offers were just a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

A quote from the above article may explain why Sears is in touch with bankruptcy lawyers now: 

"Lampert [CEO of Sears Holdings] pointed to a $134 million debt payment due on October 15, and said the company must demonstrate to lenders by Monday [which was Oct. 1] that it has required levels of cash in reserve, which could itself prove difficult."

If Sears misses that payment, then I think the end is most definitely in sight for the Amazon of the 19th and 20th century. 

I'm glad I used all my points a couple of weeks ago.  My LEGO set was shipped to me with two boxes taped together (but the seams of the boxes were coming apart).  I'm thankful the set wasn't crushed like some of you have seen.  I wondered then, "What, they can't afford the correct sized box?"  I guess not.

How crazy is it that a company which made a name for itself via mail-order is being put out of business by a company which is known for mail-order.  Ironically, Amazon recently started opening showrooms.  How long until Amazon goes the way of Sears... 100 years?  lol.

Today I spent what free cash points I had left at my local Kmart.  I found it interesting that LEGO prices were almost all marked up a few dollars, just like TRU used to do.  If it were not for the free cash, I would not have bought anything.  Kmart is currently running $20 free cash for $50 spent.

I even saw one "clearance" LEGO item  selling for $2 higher than you could buy it from LEGO and that was with a $2 mark down from what was regular the Kmart price.   *facepalm*  Thank you Brickpicker for helping me look that up while at the store.

Edited by exracer327