KMart - Bleak outlook and poor earnings are weighing down this sinking ship

2 minutes ago, charger465 said:

At least it looks like they have all the lights on. My store only turns on every other row of its lights, pretty dark and creepy.

Oh wow, that would be creepy.  At least you could find your way around by the different smells.

• Like 4

On 7/15/2016 at 3:28 AM, Kenxxx said:

Closing store report:  Stopped back at my local store yesterday. 60% off all toys.  Lots of toys remain, but all Lego gone... except an open box Ninjago Morro Dragon (with half the bags missing), and a half dozen of the smaller Friends Pop-Star sets. Nah, nah, nah, nah... nah, nah, nah, nah...hey, hey-yay... go-odbye.

Might be worth mentioning since your store is also closing. I never look at at anything non-Lego at Kmart and with my store closing, I thought I'd check out the electronics. That section was wiped out, but I realized on a later trip, they moved some valuable items to a cage on wheels near the checkout. They had Roku 3's for $39.99 (60% off) and I bought a bunch. Turns out there's a deal on those where you get 50% back in points.

So I walk out of the store and see I earned $227 in points. With nothing left of LEGO, I saw Sears/Kmart now makes Kenmore TVs. I have no high hopes on quality, but I put the points toward a $399 50" TV. The crazy part is, I paid under $200 after points and that earned $128 back in points. haha

Long story short:
1) Keep an eye out for those cages
2) It's no wonder they're hurting.

2 hours ago, charger465 said:

At least it looks like they have all the lights on. My store only turns on every other row of its lights, pretty dark and creepy.

Dude you're right, I know a few Kmarts that do it, and it feels like I'm walking into a dark alley for who knows what to happen. I've asked the employees about it and they say it's cost savings and insist their store isn't closing. To me it signals the opposite as the 1st sign they're on the chopping block.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Achilles said:

As someone that hits up a lot of K-Marts, I can tell you - they do stuff on the cheap. Compare the AC/temperature in most K-Marts to your average Target. K-Marts are freaking sweltering.

Exciter, grab me that Scout Fighter ship, will you? ;)

Believe it or not, that's one ship I skipped.  I've been looking to get one cheaper.  There are a couple left around here, but it doesn't excite me much.

3 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

They did just clear their website of over 100 Lego sets . Poof gone .. 

I noticed that yesterday! Not a single "deal" to be found when I was hunting for ways to get $10 back on $25 ...... And tons of popular sets came back as "Temporarily Unavailable for the location you have chosen" ....

6 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I noticed that yesterday! Not a single "deal" to be found when I was hunting for ways to get $10 back on $25 ...... And tons of popular sets came back as "Temporarily Unavailable for the location you have chosen" ....

Not a good sign.... I couldn't find anything online either .. I Had to drive to a store to redeem my points... 

19 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

They did just clear their website of over 100 Lego sets . Poof gone .. 

Granted, a ton of those sets were not available online anyways - there must have been stock in a few backwater stores that caused them to be listed .... good those got cleaned out.

28 minutes ago, Phil B said:

The new Star Wars sets are on there now. Better get busy...

• Like 1

I am not sure if the two are related, but K-Mart basically just did their "Toy Reset" for the Christmas season. If you pop in store now, you (should) see a whole pile of new things marked clearance and in a clearance aisle. This probably explains part of the Website change (It was annoying, I ordered a couple battle packs on Friday, went to order more last night - and no longer available) - I didn't scan everything, but I noticed 60008 and 60046 are scanning at "Clearance" prices even though there were on the shelf. No discount on clearance toys at this time. I scanned a few other oldies, such as Red Box Chima and Lego Movie Bad Cop Chase, and both rang up at a full MSRP - as well as Ninjago X-1 Charger.

Other sets to possibly check: Any Movie, Pirate sets. Possible the Arctic line - maybe blue box (Darth Vader) Star Wars.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I am not sure if the two are related, but K-Mart basically just did their "Toy Reset" for the Christmas season. If you pop in store now, you (should) see a whole pile of new things marked clearance and in a clearance aisle. This probably explains part of the Website change (It was annoying, I ordered a couple battle packs on Friday, went to order more last night - and no longer available) - I didn't scan everything, but I noticed 60008 and 60046 are scanning at "Clearance" prices even though there were on the shelf. No discount on clearance toys at this time. I scanned a few other oldies, such as Red Box Chima and Lego Movie Bad Cop Chase, and both rang up at a full MSRP - as well as Ninjago X-1 Charger.

Other sets to possibly check: Any Movie, Pirate sets. Possible the Arctic line - maybe blue box (Darth Vader) Star Wars .

Believe it or not, I haven't seen 60008 and 60046 at my stores for quite some time.

Woke up to $10 in additional points - but after the inventory reset there is nothing left to buy! Gone is Changing Seasons and a few other go-to sets. Ended up ordering the LAST green baseplate for $8 (effectively free after points) for pickup at my local Sears. Going to just leave the remaining points to see if anything pops up soon, but with a meh collection I might get to the point where I'm going to have to buy a free box of screws or something just to use up the points.

28 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Woke up to $10 in additional points - but after the inventory reset there is nothing left to buy! Gone is Changing Seasons and a few other go-to sets. Ended up ordering the LAST green baseplate for $8 (effectively free after points) for pickup at my local Sears. Going to just leave the remaining points to see if anything pops up soon, but with a meh collection I might get to the point where I'm going to have to buy a free box of screws or something just to use up the points.

I bought a pool last night.  Unfortunately, I have to drive an hour to get it now.  It was available for pick-up at my store until the reset this weekend.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Thanks for the post. None of my "local" ones, but one close Regional one (about 45 miles away), and a couple that were outliers I occasionally swung to. I am actually a bit surprised about the one that is closing nearby, as there's not Walmart/Target nearby for competition. 

Lucked out for another few months.  My stores are not on the list.