42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245

TheOrcKing

Awesome looking set...for those who have built both, in terms of pure building fun would you pick this or the MK-II?

I've built the 42009 (and then the Ultimate 42009 which was great) - my 42043 is still in the box. If no one else has any input by the time I build mine, I'll let you know .

• Like 2

Awesome looking set...for those who have built both, in terms of pure building fun would you pick this or the MK-II?

I'm in the process albeit a slow one. I have the MKII and that was a long complex build. I think this is a more interesting build so far because of the fact that the final product uses both mechanical and air driven parts.

My suggestion however is to go for the MK II as it can be had cheaper and might be gone in the near future. This one will be around a few years. Actually, maybe I should go buy some 42009's as an investment.

• Like 1

I'm in the process albeit a slow one. I have the MKII and that was a long complex build. I think this is a more interesting build so far because of the fact that the final product uses both mechanical and air driven parts.

My suggestion however is to go for the MK II as it can be had cheaper and might be gone in the near future. This one will be around a few years. Actually, maybe I should go buy some 42009's as an investment.

Everyone who is even remotely interested in Technic Lego should build a 42009. Lovely set.

Edited by Battrax

Wanted to keep you posted that I'm nearing the end of the build. All that's left is the cab and the dump bed. The features on this set are very well done, just think it's is need of a slightly stronger clutch gear as the legs don't extend very smoothly. I'm assuming that's due to too much friction. Either way the pneumatic system is awesome and makes up for it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just finished mine except for the cab section. The new pneumatics seem just as jerky and hard to control as the old ones, or maybe it is just my bad coordination.

As a build, I enjoyed it more than 9398 and 42009, but I still think 8110 was the most enjoyable.

42043 certainly has lots of good parts for Moc´ing and I may well get a second one to make the B model, which looks great too.

All in all, 160 euros well spent as I was unwilling to wait much longer save 10 or 20 euros.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, pstebbing said:

Thoughts on this set for investment?

I'm basing my analysis on the performance of 42009 MKII which I believe is a superior set.

Mercedes Aroc's aren't very common in the U.S. This build is going to appeal to a very minimal range of Lego fans. At a buy in of 30% off+ I believe this is a great buy that will net 100$ profit pretty easily. That being said I wouldn't consider it at anything more expensive based on how terrible selling large sets has been plus the storage space and high competition.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Apart from tracked cranes, Techic is a risky investment unless bought dirt cheap. Even the Unimog often fails to reach RRP and that's superb set.

• 7 months later...