San Diego cops bust major Lego theft ring

​Regular employees are told not to pursue thieves. There's too much liability if they get hurt. I pointed out someone dashing out into the parking lot and loading their car with stolen goods and just received a shrug and a "there's nothing we can do."

Yup. Now TRU hopes thieves run out the door with a bunch of big empty boxes :)

​Regular employees are told not to pursue thieves. There's too much liability if they get hurt. I pointed out someone dashing out into the parking lot and loading their car with stolen goods and just received a shrug and a "there's nothing we can do."

​It's only a matter of time before most big stores do what Costco does - have someone stop and check your receipt before being allowed to leave the store in addition to other measures in the stores like spider webs, empty boxes, and locked displays.

​It's only a matter of time before most big stores do what Costco does - have someone stop and check your receipt before being allowed to leave the store in addition to other measures in the stores like spider webs, empty boxes, and locked displays.

They don't check for the validity of your receipt vs items. Maybe large items. Psychologically the odds of me stealing from you with no one at the door then some old lady is a lot less. It's a numbers game in decreasing the statistics. Theft will happen, just how much?

How nice of you to blame your members. :-)

​Hey! For all you know he might be the one still on the run, so show a little bit more sympathy! ;-P

Still... stealing LEGO probably is not the smartest idea to get money... at least not if it is done so obviously... and you still have to sell that stuff afterwards!

​Hey! For all you know he might be the one still on the run, so show a little bit more sympathy! ;-P

Still... stealing LEGO probably is not the smartest idea to get money... at least not if it is done so obviously... and you still have to sell that stuff afterwards!

You mean I can steal things that don't require more work after I obtain them? Tell me more...

They don't check for the validity of your receipt vs items. Maybe large items. Psychologically the odds of me stealing from you with no one at the door then some old lady is a lot less. It's a numbers game in decreasing the statistics. Theft will happen, just how much?

​If you looked at hundreds of receipts, eventually over time you could probably quickly assess the total value on the receipt vs the items in the cart. Also, if you had a receipt with 4 things (and no receipt) and had 40 in your cart, it would be pretty obvious something was amiss.

The only problem I have with what Costco does is that people watching the door should have more backup than a sharpie in case something does happen..

​Regular stores can't force you to check your receipt.  You're free to decline, and they can't stop you.

However, if you're signed up with a store that requires membership (like Costco), it's usually in your member agreement that you agree to show your receipt.

Edited by Alpinemaps
Changed "can" to "can't"
  • Like 1

​Regular stores can force you to check your receipt.  You're free to decline, and they can't stop you.

However, if you're signed up with a store that requires membership (like Costco), it's usually in your member agreement that you agree to show your receipt.

Yep, I blow past wal mart greeters all the time, annoys them to no end.

• Like 1

You mean I can steal things that don't require more work after I obtain them? Tell me more...

​There are things you can steal that require less effort afterwards yes.

Or you just start out stealing money directly! That's what the banks and the goverments are doing, seems to work pretty good.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

I think most of the people I sell to on CL think I have stolen the item. The latest example was Assembly Square. I've sold four locally and all have asked where I bought it from and why I was selling it for 25% off retail.

25% off retail?? I would question you too.

17 minutes ago, Jackson said:

People still steal? There are cameras everywhere (I even have one on my porch, recording 24/7). If you steal something, the act is on camera.

People will continue to steal regardless of cameras. The self-checkout lanes are a prefect example. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/stealing-from-self-checkout/550940/

7 hours ago, Jackson said:

People still steal? There are cameras everywhere (I even have one on my porch, recording 24/7). If you steal something, the act is on camera.

I’ve anecdotally noticed one thing about the ubiquity of porch cameras. More angry posts on facebook from camera owners with a video with the caption “this low life stole my packages from my porch!”

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, iahawks550 said:

I think most of the people I sell to on CL think I have stolen the item. The latest example was Assembly Square. I've sold four locally and all have asked where I bought it from and why I was selling it for 25% off retail.

And yet they don't seem to have a problem with buying it from you at said price... 

Of course, they could just be looking to get similar deals for themselves without you as the middleman.