My spouse thought I was nuts for "investing" in Lego, but they have come around since I bought them this with some of the profits...

Arguably, So far profits from  parting out bulk lots have helped finance a trip to New Zealand and a new car. 

Have not yet sold many investment sets. But I am running 40% paper profit, unfortunately down from 50% 2 months ago due to a mid year price slump.  

• Like 3

I did a garage sale and sold $2000 in sets and made a profit of $460.  Did not cover all of it but my wife was happy with the Genesis Weber grill that appeared at the house two days later,  The grill is $750 so it covered well over half.  I'm still crazy but not quite as much as I used to be in her eyes.   

Edited by legoray01
  • Like 2

I re-invest all of my profits. One day I shall die and my kids will curse me for leaving them with 100K in Lego sets

$​100K... were you part of that San Diego scheme? :P

Anyhow, I'm taking legoray101 advise/ideas for the garage sale this weekend and crunched some numbers...

We'll see how I fair and I'll report back with hopefully great news!

Edited by binici
  • Like 1

I re-invest all of my profits. One day I shall die and my kids will curse me for leaving them with 100K in Lego sets

I normally reinvest everything as well, except for this one time. I keep very detailed records, and have always been up front with my wife on my "wins" as well as my "losses", but it has always been on a spreadsheet, so there was still a bit of skepticism on her part. The new pool is something tangible to finally make her a believer.

As long as Lego takes up space, my wife will hate it.  She doesn't care 1 bit about the money earned from Lego.  She would rather eat Ramen noodles and cans of chunk lite tuna fish (the bad kind) than Lobster, steak, oysters, etc... bought using Lego profits.

At least the kids like it .

She does love my sports ticket biz since inventory takes up only 1 cubic foot of space :)

• Like 3

As long as Lego takes up space, my wife will hate it.  She doesn't care 1 bit about the money earned from Lego.  She would rather eat Ramen noodles and cans of chunk lite tuna fish (the bad kind) than Lobster, steak, oysters, etc... bought using Lego profits.

At least the kids like it .

She does love my sports ticket biz since inventory takes up only 1 cubic foot of space :)

​Maybe you can share you story on investing sports tickets...

I am really curious that what happens to the tickets which can't be sold when the game starts? Or this kind of accident never happens to you?

​Maybe you can share you story on investing sports tickets...

I am really curious that what happens to the tickets which can't be sold when the game starts? Or this kind of accident never happens to you?

Send me a PM if interested as I don't want to go off-topic. Short story is if I don't sell a game before it starts, I lose 100%. Thus 90% of NFL preseason is brutal. Selling tickets isn't for everyone. you need to have strong teams and games to make it worthwhile.
  • Like 1

I thought this would be a fun topic to start. Mods, if you feel differently then please feel free to delete it.

We have all heard or been a part of the same story. You spent a bunch of money on some "toys", with the intention of reselling them in the future for more than what you paid for them. Meanwhile, your spouse was ready to have you committed to the looney bin, until you bought them this with some of your profits. I'll start...

We have had a pool since we bought our home twelve years ago. Wisconsin winters can be a bit harsh, and this past winter Mother Nature decided that it was time for our old pool to go. She had her way with it, and reduced it to a pile of scrap. Our kids, who are nine and eight, were pretty upset about it, and my wife didn't feel like dipping into savings to buy a new one, so the Lego fund came to the rescue. We just had it installed three weeks ago, fully funded from Lego profit. Now my wife doesn't give me the old fish eye when she comes home and finds several packages on the doorstep.

Does anyone else have any fun stories to share?

Awesome terry.   Most awesome, indeed.   Your post clearly shows that with patience, smart buying and some luck (the hard work is a given), Lego investing does pay off.

i usually reinvest my Lego profits but finally able / willing to pull the trigger on a watch I've wanted for 10 years.  Instead of dipping into the savings account, Lego came to the rescue.  It was purchased pre-owned and was only 5 months old. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome terry.   Most awesome, indeed.   Your post clearly shows that with patience, smart buying and some luck (the hard work is a given), Lego investing does pay off.

i usually reinvest my Lego profits but finally able / willing to pull the trigger on a watch I've wanted for 10 years.  Instead of dipping into the savings account, Lego came to the rescue.  It was purchased pre-owned and was only 5 months old. 

image.jpg

​But is the watch nearing EOL, or has it more Death Star like tendencies? 

• Like 1

I thought this would be a fun topic to start. Mods, if you feel differently then please feel free to delete it.

I think the topic is fine as long as it doesn't get trolled by people turning this into MTV Cribs or showing photos with addresses, names, facial pictures, comparing stuff, giving investing advice, etc...

Most of my profits have gone back into legos. the one exception was the Research Laboratory bonanza. i was one of the lucky ones to have scored a bunch and sell when they were hitting $100 on amazon. Helped pay for half of my Walking Dead pinball machine.

post-30371-0-31856500-1418434514_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I reinvested all the profits into new legosets. Now lately I am using the money from sales to cover an unexpected financial backlash. 

​Ah yes. Nothing like an unexpected financial backlash.

I hit one of those back in Jan. Put a total freeze on the LEGO investments for 3 1/2 months. (I was really tempted to put in an equation for you Ciglione.)

My wife sees and knows the profit possibilities. The only issue is that she expects me to make high margins all the time. "Why are you selling that less than msrp!"

B/c she's gotten a taste of "what profits are possible" its almost like she's been spoiled and expects those same high margins all the time.

There is a mix of reinvestment for me. Some money spent on sets goes back into checking after sales and others stay in paypal for future investments.

• Like 1

I may have crossed the line when I bought her an AT-AT Walker for Mother's Day.

Profits from LEGO all go into paying down the debt we've incurred doing home renovations over the last seven years. I don't know how you all keep those profits out of "general revenue" so well. :)

• Like 1

I may have crossed the line when I bought her an AT-AT Walker for Mother's Day.

Profits from LEGO all go into paying down the debt we've incurred doing home renovations over the last seven years. I don't know how you all keep those profits out of "general revenue" so well. :)

​I bought my wife new blades for the tractor, so I think you're doing ok.  Profits paid for a good part of a recent Disney vacation, property taxes, etc., so it's a nice supplemental income

• Like 3

​I bought my wife new blades for the tractor, so I think you're doing ok.  Profits paid for a good part of a recent Disney vacation, property taxes, etc., so it's a nice supplemental income

​That is awesome. My partner and I met while working as University of summer students doing maintenance. I always let her drive the tractor so she could work on her tan.

Overall, we're using the profits from selling our LEGO to help pay for a large trip we're taking to Europe next year but in the mean time we put the cash against our debt to reduce interest costs.

• Like 1