79117 - Turtle Lair Invasion

I personally will only buy this set if it is at least 50 percent off. My optimism is low on this set.

​Care to elaborate on why?

They are making a sequel and kids just eat up Ninja Turtles...

Anyhow, anything 30% or more is a great buy for this set!

40% or less in brick and mortar stores.  I have seen it for 25% or 30% off and passed so far.  Just didn't appeal to me at that price.  I have seen it on ebay go for the $56 to 60 range recently.  I just haven't been impressed by but I also pretty much stay out of TMNT unless I am seeing it at 40% or more off retail. 

Hoping my Walmart goes to $49 on the few they have left and then I would jump in but they only hit $74 within the last few weeks so I have let them pass. 

Well what I have heard is megabloks  will be making TMNT sets and that Lego will be retiring they're TMNT in 2016, last night I picked up two for 80$ ea still feeling good about this one 

​If that is true, then this may help all TMNT sets after all have been EOL for 4+ years... Hmmm...

I think the cartoon style ones will do better long term than the movie style turtles. I can see parents buying the cartoon style because they're more reminiscent of the 1980's style turtles. 

It's possible i'm way off here, but sequels don't necessarily translate into lego devotion, it means it made enough money to be a profitable enterprise as a film.

I do think the lack of lego as a brand in this space will raise the profile of all existing turtle sets, but if i had to pick, i'd go for the cartoon style ones.

The TMNT have been the most consistent and one of the most profitable boys toy lines of the past 25 years; despite numerous incarnations.  That being said,.....the LEGO line was underwhelming.  Why?  TMNT or LEGO fatigue?  Poor designs? lack of a commitment in regards to promotion from TLC?.....I'm not sure.  What I am fairly sure of is that if there's one franchise (LEGO or not) that boys and now men will (or eventually) wax nostalgic for....it's Star Wars.  But, if there's two.....then it's TMNT.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the future profitability of this LEGO theme....mainly because A) the lack of commitment, quality and design didn't produce any memorable or must have sets and B ) with what seems to be a fairly strong commitment between Nickelodeon and Mattel....TMNT will probably end up being MEGA BLOKS flagship set and they will produce more and (don't hate me for saying it) better designed sets.  This LEGO theme will end up falling by the wayside in the annals of TMNT merchandise.

I think the cartoon style ones will do better long term than the movie style turtles. I can see parents buying the cartoon style because they're more reminiscent of the 1980's style turtles. 

It's possible i'm way off here, but sequels don't necessarily translate into lego devotion, it means it made enough money to be a profitable enterprise as a film.

I do think the lack of lego as a brand in this space will raise the profile of all existing turtle sets, but if i had to pick, i'd go for the cartoon style ones.

​I generally agree with this. I'd rather have the cartoon based ones.

The only good thing about the movie ones are that you can get the Lair plus the van set and get all four turtles, so for bundling purposes they should be good. All of the ones I have from the movie have been 50% off or better and I am passing on that Lair at $74.

• 2 months later...