Ideas #012: 21303 - WALL-E

mattyman

wasn't speculating about retirement as much as weird that they wouldn't keep taking orders for it unless they don't want to be shipping out double VIP wall-e orders in May and June because its so popular.  in stock in europe.  i'm guessing more likely an error. i  haven't been to a lego store in a while to know if these are in stock there but cursory check of barnes and noble shows these are in stock at 3 out of 4 near me so with some 12%  GC action and a 10% member instore discount, that's an easy way to load up at some point .  i have a bunch when fao was doing them for $49 already.   it hasn't been out a year yet and i have to imagine this would be around for a while given its popularity and the disney connection. 

this seems like should be a decent performer in the afterlife as long as it retires this time next year and doesn't go into overtime.  

wouldn't mind having 50 of these when it goes.

Edited by cladner

sort of like they did with ant-man - initial technical glitch, then an abbreviated life.  one can only hope with 12 already stashed from the fao sale.  

http://www.thebrickfan.com/reports-of-quality-control-issues-with-lego-marvel-super-heroes-ant-man-final-battle-76039/

http://brickset.com/article/16465/what-s-wrong-with-21303-wall%E2%80%A2e

now back to finding out if people's KEM orders shipped from bn.  :sleep:

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Maybe Wall-E has yet another neck issue...or maybe they're just giving up on him...

I can say from personal experience, the neck issue isn't there anymore.  I received one a couple weeks back.  It was resealed twice, had a supplemental couple of sheets of updated instructions, another new sealed bag with the pieces needed for the neck fix, and that sucker doesn't move anymore.

Now the only thing that is somewhat interesting, is that I ordered directly from LEGO Shop at Home, not that long ago, and I still got a resealed version.  This problem was fixed a good while ago, so it makes me wonder, how fast of a seller it is.  I would assume if it's a slow seller, and continues to be slow, it could be a big win for you resellers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citymorgue said:

I can say from personal experience, the neck issue isn't there anymore.  I received one a couple weeks back.  It was resealed twice, had a supplemental couple of sheets of updated instructions, another new sealed bag with the pieces needed for the neck fix, and that sucker doesn't move anymore.

Now the only thing that is somewhat interesting, is that I ordered directly from LEGO Shop at Home, not that long ago, and I still got a resealed version.  This problem was fixed a good while ago, so it makes me wonder, how fast of a seller it is.  I would assume if it's a slow seller, and continues to be slow, it could be a big win for you resellers. 

Just a hunch, but pretty much next to no chance this is a slow seller. It's #50 right no in building toys on Amazon. Not the best, but selling at a solid clip.

1 hour ago, biking_tiger said:

Just a hunch, but pretty much next to no chance this is a slow seller. It's #50 right no in building toys on Amazon. Not the best, but selling at a solid clip.

Which I guess begs the question of how many did Lego produce to begin with???  It must've been entirely too much if they are still rolling out fixed sets from the first production run.

6 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

Which I guess begs the question of how many did Lego produce to begin with???  It must've been entirely too much if they are still rolling out fixed sets from the first production run.

They probably used the numbers from the Exo to guide their production for this. So: lots and lots and lots.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone confirm that the old version without fix has piece count of 677 and the new fixed version has piece count of 676? I have two, one with 36R5 seal shows 677 pieces and the other with 50R5 seal shows 676 pieces.

Thanks.

On 3/19/2016 at 4:19 AM, Martae54 said:

My question is will 677 version be more valuable..

Not a chance. Plenty of sets have had misprints on tiles, stickers, boxes.. no difference in value has ever been established. The only way the 676 version won't be worth the same is if you bought it early on and never got the "fix" from LEGO. If it's a resealed 676, then it has the updated parts/instructions and will be just as "valuable" on the secondary market.

I noticed on the LEGO website today (U.S. version) that not only is Wall-E temporarily out of stock, but it says check back in August for product availability.  That seems odd.  I can understand being out of stock due to double VIP, but not available until August makes me wonder if this set will be short-lived.  I know there is plenty of availability elsewhere, but still....

•  

6 minutes ago, BuckeyeFanDan said:

I noticed on the LEGO website today (U.S. version) that not only is Wall-E temporarily out of stock, but it says check back in August for product availability.  That seems odd.  I can understand being out of stock due to double VIP, but not available until August makes me wonder if this set will be short-lived.  I know there is plenty of availability elsewhere, but still....

•  

Something similar happened with Jurassic World and EV, if I remember correctly. I can't really imagine this little guy will only have about six months of shelf life. Likely TLG is simply refocusing production on other lines for now and readying for a big holiday push. But I've been known to know nothing. 

3 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

It will come back in August. Happy flipping

Like the RE (75920) came back in February?  I'm not doubting it will, but I think I would have added a caveat instead of speaking in absolutes.  This set has been a PITA for LEGO since the beginning.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is retired sooner than most other Ideas sets.

• Like 3