Ideas #012: 21303 - WALL-E

mattyman

Posted over on BrickFan that there are reports that the release date is being delayed:

There are reports over on Reddit that the upcoming LEGO Ideas WALL·E (21303) set has been delayed for a few weeks due to a “quality issue.” I’ve also gotten a message from a reader who also works at a LEGO Brand Store and they have said the same thing. From my message, they also said that “something was not up to LEGO quality they they missed.” I’m not sure what this quality issue is about but I’m wondering if it is part of the top neck joint area that makes the head unstable and won’t stay in place as I stated in my review. I’ll try to get some more clarification and how long the delay will be. The set was scheduled to be released on September 1st.

This neck-joint thing (forgive me, I haven't read any of the reviews) ... that seems like kind of a crazy thing to delay launch over - after building and shipping thousands around the country... to stop and say, "You know that wobbly head issue we all noticed the first time we built the prototypes a year ago? Yeah, you were right... it is too wobbly.  We have to do a design change right now." That would be just nuts. I would think it more likely be a paint issue like noted above... or packaging (too many getting crushed in shipping for some reason)... something that didn't really show itself until the first ones were getting into stores and consumer hands.

Never seen anything like this either.  They are going to take a lot more than 1-2 weeks to correct any issue that's been sent out already.   For Sept1 release, all the boxes are in backstores on hold now.  

Even if they do emergency reprinting of x piece; 1-2 weeks means online solution for 'additional piece/replace a brick' solution.   You think the backstock folk are going to go the memo in time for Sept 1 next week?

I think it must be a printing/ production issue. Not a build issue, but I guess we will find out for sure once LEGO releases a statement.

I think you are right but what is Lego going to tell retailers that have hundreds sitting in inventory? Ship them back so they can be destroyed or reworked to make necessary substitutions?  I think this would take longer than 1-2 weeks. I would open one of mine to look at the printed pieces but then I wouldn't be able to sell it then would I. 

I built mine the first day I got it. Love it. As picky as I am, I didn't notice any printing issues on the printed pieces...

On the other hand, I couldn't help notice the brick quality is just as bad as they can be produced all these recent years. The general paints on the bricks are just bad. About 90% of the bricks generally have scratches/dents. It gets harder building stuff now trying to decide which 'better-looking' to face in or out...

The head was wobbling... and sometimes falls forward if you don't rest it just right.

The wobbling head looks like it would be frustrating for younger builders who want to play with the set and drive it around.  For shelf display it prob wouldn't be such an issue.  Weird year.  Pirates Chess set board released backwards, Ant Man set being delayed and redone for the leg connections, now Wall-E.  I haven't seen the Wall-E build instructions but hopefully the wobbly neck could be easily fixed with a friction technic pin if that's how it's connected.

Also, there are some impatient fok out there who just want to have it and are maybe not aware or care about any issue.

whether or not you meant to leave the L out or not those fok's are some of my best customers. :)

curious to see if my amazon preorders ship .

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

If it makes anyone feel better, I went back this morning to try to purchase the two I left on the shelf yesterday and, of course, they were gone.  I spoke with a manager and he checked his inventory gun and said they had 4.  He spent about 5 min trying to find them before coming out and saying he did find them, but that they can't be sold until Sept. 1st.  I cursed and said I shoulda got 'em yesterday, to which he replied that a flag would've popped up at the register and they wouldn't have been able to sell them to me.  He said that they get fined by LEGO if it is proven that they sold anything before the shelf date.  He stated the fine was $5000 per set.

If it makes anyone feel better, I went back this morning to try to purchase the two I left on the shelf yesterday and, of course, they were gone.  I spoke with a manager and he checked his inventory gun and said they had 4.  He spent about 5 min trying to find them before coming out and saying he did find them, but that they can't be sold until Sept. 1st.  I cursed and said I shoulda got 'em yesterday, to which he replied that a flag would've popped up at the register and they wouldn't have been able to sell them to me.  He said that they get fined by LEGO if it is proven that they sold anything before the shelf date.  He stated the fine was $5000 per set.

So what happened to the two that were on the shelf? I guess they were part of the four that were in the back. Maybe.

Shuttle was a whole reissue; was there a stability kit for the old ones?

Hopefully not 1 year apart though (or perhaps good thing for those with inventory). 

yep there is an actual stability kit

not my auction but look at the second picture

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Shuttle-Adventure-10213-New-in-sealed-box-includes-Stabilization-Kit-/111756358347?hash=item1a0532b2cb

If that's all the issue is, they may just correct their on-hand inventory & allow customers to get replacements for what's in the field (sold)...

Agreed. It might simply be a case of "address issue for all future sets and offer replacement pieces as requested."

• Like 1

I'm in BC Canada and headed to a toys'r'us nearby today.  Secretly hoping I would see some WALL-E on the shelves, I was positive that there wouldn't be any. Not only is it August 28th (pre-release), but being in Canada, we seem to be behind and poorly stocked compared to the U.S., however, after going through all the shelves and moving various sets, I found 2 MISB WALL-E sets. Needless to say, I was flabergasted. I snapped them up right away and there was no issue purchasing them. Didn't have any coupons or anything today, but I'm at home looking at them as I write this. I plan on building one of them soon and will update with what I see in terms of quality control. 

• Like 2

Ant man was stopped to add some parts because it wouldn't stand on the legs... Anyone who bought could get the parts for free from Lego.

It has happened so why is it unreasonable that it may happen again?

The DeLorean had a misprinted tile... So many possibilities.