Ideas #012: 21303 - WALL-E

mattyman

Have 8 waiting for me at 4 Toys R US about an hour away. 

I'm wondering if there is an outside chance that given the time of year, production demands and screw up on the parts that we might not see any significant quantity (e.g. orderable online)  of Wall-E in North America until next year ?  One can only hope.

The launch response to this set is reminiscent of Mars Rover release.

Edited by cladner

From Brickfan:

A few days ago, I reported that the upcoming LEGO Ideas WALL·E (21303) set was possibly being delayed due to an issue with the build. There wasn’t any specifics of what the issue was or how long the release would be delayed because there hasn’t been an official statement by LEGO about it. However, they did mention on Twitter that it would be slightly delayed at LEGO Stores and on Shop@Home but you can find it at other retailers like Toys R Us and such. The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that the set will be available on September 21 but I’m not sure where the source is for that date. I’ve also heard that it might available on September 27. As far as I know, the set is being delayed indefinitely.

The issue in question is the head/neck area where the head connects to the neck. The neck connection isn’t able to support the weight of the head and it will swing backwards every time you tilt the head up. The only problem with you getting it early is that you won’t have the the parts needed to stabilize the head. A few people who already have purchased WALL·E have contacted LEGO Customer Service and they are being sent parts 4211695 and 4265484 to help alleviate the problem but it doesn’t seem to make sense because they only further support the neck more but doesn’t really solve the problem with the joint in the neck holding the head as it will still swing backwards due to lack of friction.

I’ll try to gather more information and report them as they come.

Edited by pstebbing
  • Like 1

Picked-up & built mine last night (10 of them on the shelf @ PlayValue - Ottawa/Stittsville)

I must say it's an entirely enjoyable build!  & makes a great desk companion. 5 +ve co-worker comments in the first hour today - he really stands out!

I had no issues with bad printing or scuffs on any parts.  The head assembly - although I can see where some folks would have issues with it, was just fine on mine, it does depend allot on how you have it positioned & it probably won't stand up so well for serious play. (the head is abit heavy for the joint so you hafta set it back abit)

definitely worth having!

• Like 3

I called LEGO and they are sending me pieces to remedy the head.  They asked for the manufacturer code (code on sticker).  My son and I built this today and it's a great set, but the head constantly flops around and spins in circles, making it impossible to role play.  Hopefully whatever the fix is, will make it tighter and more secure.

just saw a youtube video on a motorized Wall E with remote control. Apparently done by someone in Korea. I have bwen trawling the net trying to find instructions to motorized Wall E but come up with nothing. Anyone here can help with any instructions and which power functions set is needed?

Plz, post parts #s for power functions....

It will all depend on what you want to do, but you'll need 1 or 2 of the m motors, an IR receiver, an IR remote and a battery box. What other parts you need will depend entirely on how those wheels are attached the axels.

Of course, this is the ultimate wall-e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWAipDEPX4