CL scam

holleman67

So I scour cl all the time as I've had a lot of success buying from there. I found someone selling a death star, death star II, and some minifigures. Tried scheduling a time to meet in person but couldn't for various reasons. Asked if she'd ship and she agreed but only after we had a lengthy phone conversation. Long story short I got scammed. Right now I'm out $750 but it was sent via PayPal g&s so I'm disputing the charges. She used the name of Ashley cannon and shipped my box from Cincinnati Ohio. I happened to find out after the fact that she had scammed someone else in la. Be wary and on the look for crap like this.

I saw the same listing in Los Angeles CL. It had photos of the Death Star, Death Star 2, tons of minifigures probably the same pictures as you.  I think they wanted like $400 or $450.  They wanted me to pay by Paypal.com because they just moved out of state and were not in the area (Big Big Red Flag).  I immediately told them that I only meet in person at a public location and pay in cash.  They never emailed me back.  Sorry, you were scammed. 

I also went back and forth with her for the last couple of weeks (ad posted on Lancaster PA craigslist), but my paranoia was running too high when she wouldn't ever tell me exactly where she was located, and was evasive about all my questions. She also asked me about PayPal, and at that point, I waved it off. Sorry you got stung by this one. =(

So I scour cl all the time as I've had a lot of success buying from there. I found someone selling a death star, death star II, and some minifigures. Tried scheduling a time to meet in person but couldn't for various reasons. Asked if she'd ship and she agreed but only after we had a lengthy phone conversation. Long story short I got scammed. Right now I'm out $750 but it was sent via PayPal g&s so I'm disputing the charges. She used the name of Ashley cannon and shipped my box from Cincinnati Ohio. I happened to find out after the fact that she had scammed someone else in la. Be wary and on the look for crap like this.

Sorry to hear that story. How did you manage to be sure enough the seller was legit to pay him $750?

This is one of the reasons I stopped looking at CL a few months ago. Occasionally you will find some great deals, but most of the time you will spend trying to figure out if the seller is legit or not....and the rest of the time you'll spend filing PayPal claims.

Hope you get your money back ASAP!

We talked on the phone for 20 minutes about the sets and what not. Talked about needing to use goods and services so there was a means of protection for both parties. After the long conversation it seemed like all was cool to me. I must have missed something. I'm usually very skeptical with deals like this.

I've only dealt with someone once on exclusive minifigs and I was skeptical to begin with. They would never arrange to meet and wanted to ship them.  I don't think I could ever do a CL transaction without the goods in hand first.

Thanks for giving folks a heads up.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

We talked on the phone for 20 minutes about the sets and what not. Talked about needing to use goods and services so there was a means of protection for both parties. After the long conversation it seemed like all was cool to me. I must have missed something. I'm usually very skeptical with deals like this.

IIRC this is the third or fourth time someone with "Canon" in their name was associated with a scam. There were also a couple BrickLink stores with similar names. They offered deep discount prices on exclusives with zero feedback. They were shutdown within a few days. I don't buy off craigslist. Not worth the risk and hassle. I did sell a few sets on there and that went very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah figured I'd give everyone a heads up. I tried researching to see if there was any warnings online before doing anything and I couldn't find anything. I hope my lack of judgement will save the hassle of dealing with this.

Not sure if this still interests you, but the person who scammed you (2 death stars and lots of mini-figs) just contacted me from a new number asking if I was still interested, and if I had PayPal. They said they just moved and "lost" their old phone in the shuffle.

If you want the new number, just message me.

Why do people even bother asking to SHIP VIA CRAIGSLIST. It's NOT eBay peeps. Not to sound harsh, but you really, REALLY shouldn't even have thought of going through with such a ludicrous transaction with that much money with "shipping" on craigslist. It's a total trust based system that does NOT work..hence why you meet with people on Craigslist, not ship.

Why do people even bother asking to SHIP VIA CRAIGSLIST. It's NOT eBay peeps. Not to sound harsh, but you really, REALLY shouldn't even have thought of going through with such a ludicrous transaction with that much money with "shipping" on craigslist. It's a total trust based system that does NOT work..hence why you meet with people on Craigslist, not ship.

Hahahaha. I agree with you. But I'm laughing because I know someone that made an offer on a Lego set today, on CL, and asked if it could be ship. I would get quite the kick if it was you selling it. (but, considering the item and the low price they were selling this item for, it better. It be anyone on this forum because they should no better then to sell that item that cheap on CL).

Hahahaha. I agree with you. But I'm laughing because I know someone that made an offer on a Lego set today, on CL, and asked if it could be ship. I would get quite the kick if it was you selling it. (but, considering the item and the low price they were selling this item for, it better. It be anyone on this forum because they should no better then to sell that item that cheap on CL).

Lol unless you're from Long Island, NY then it's not me.

I'm interested in this person's info. Cant pm for some odd reason though. PayPal did rule in my favor since the seller neglected to respond to the dispute, no brainer. Now for Mr Pedro, what's the problem with shipping items? Funny out of all of my transactions, I haven't had any issues until this one. It's a game if risk yes, and I misjudged it. But if I stopped using the stove every time I burned my hand, I'd go hungry. Don't act like a fool telling me what you think I should and shouldn't do. You are wasting your time when you should be doing more proactive things helping this forum grow. :-)

I'm interested in this person's info. Cant pm for some odd reason though. PayPal did rule in my favor since the seller neglected to respond to the dispute, no brainer. Now for Mr Pedro, what's the problem with shipping items? Funny out of all of my transactions, I haven't had any issues until this one. It's a game if risk yes, and I misjudged it. But if I stopped using the stove every time I burned my hand, I'd go hungry. Don't act like a fool telling me what you think I should and shouldn't do. You are wasting your time when you should be doing more proactive things helping this forum grow. :-)

Just my opinion. Craigslist isn't a place for shipping; it's called eBay. Sure, you may of had luck in the past, but there are sooooo many scams regarding shipping on craiglists that it still boggles my mind why people still fall for it.

Just my opinion. Craigslist isn't a place for shipping; it's called eBay. Sure, you may of had luck in the past, but there are sooooo many scams regarding shipping on craiglists that it still boggles my mind why people still fall for it.

I've formed some very good relationships with buyers via Kijiji...  I probably wouldn't ship a $1k SSD but I've sold Fire Brigades and Grand Emporiums without problems. It's not all doom and gloom.