75094 - Imperial Shuttle Tydirium

MarleyMoose

1 hour ago, cladner said:

i've been actively hoarding these now from nearby target in tax-free NH.  too easy to just pick these up online for instore pickup  at $72 and change with the red card discount, stash of $5 gift cards from TP, paper towels, dish washing detergent etc, no sales tax and minty boxes.  i don't live near a TRU and this is pretty effortless for the padawan and/or lazy buyer.   of the last 8 all are recent seal codes 47R5, 49R5, 51R5 so they are cranking them out.  not much else meeting the Original Trilogy investing sniff test on the shelf at target or walmart. 

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize these were currently on sale at online Target. Mine came to $83 after tax and red card. 21% off, which for this set I am happy with. I already have nine at $78 from Walmart clearance, so these are only $5 more, delivered. I just bought five more. My goal is twenty. There is nothing like getting a good deal on a great set from the comfort of your own chair while Mother Nature is dumping 15 inches of snow on you. 

• Like 4

On 2/2/2016 at 1:03 PM, cladner said:

i've been actively hoarding these now from nearby target in tax-free NH.  too easy to just pick these up online for instore pickup  at $72 and change with the red card discount, stash of $5 gift cards from TP, paper towels, dish washing detergent etc, no sales tax and minty boxes.  i don't live near a TRU and this is pretty effortless for the padawan and/or lazy buyer.   of the last 8 all are recent seal codes 47R5, 49R5, 51R5 so they are cranking them out.  not much else meeting the Original Trilogy investing sniff test on the shelf at target or walmart. 

My most recent purchase of these showed up today from Amazon.  03S6.  These are still cranking as you say.

6 minutes ago, Steve Brule said:

My guess is this makes it through the summer releases, and then in October when Rogue 1 hits the shelves this will begin the phase out. It's a great set but there's only so much shelf space for all these new Star Wars sets.

I think that is a solid bet.  I've been purchasing about one a month since last october, and I purchased this and a jedi duel just the other day.  The latest seal code I have on the Tydirium is 47r5, but these haven't been out of stock in my area, even through the holiday sales season, it was one of the few sets you could usually find.

Jedi Duel, on the other hand became fairly scarce after black friday, but about a week ago, a healthy restock hit my region, and the seal codes on that was 01r6, so I think it's safe to say these summer 2015 wave sets are going to be around for more than a year.  But, I think you are right on your assessment, as I don't see them going into next year.  I'm going to assume some Force Awakens sets could also start to get the cull, but not sure which ones.  I do think we will see a large EOL purge around December of next year, with a majority of these becoming scarce from September - December.  Until then, I think this one's a safe bet to obtain relatively easily, and at a discount.

One of the reasons I like to buy these now, is because I can obtain sets that are extremely mint condition for about 25% off.  At the tail end of the year, most of the remaining boxes may be cheaper, but the boxes will be beat to heck and back. 

• Like 2

With a new star wars movie each year and other sources of material (Rebels & Freemaker Adventures) there will be constant need to go out with the old and come in with the new.  Each wave is only going to have room for so many sets in each price range and if you are going from 6 movies to 12, with sets having a particular focus on that year's movie, vehicles and scenes from the OT are going to see bigger gaps before they are revisited.  This vehicle is iconic to ROTJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of it for at least 5 years, just because they have to get other vehicles and scenes into the rotation.  We are seeing an A-wing and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter this year, not because of the OT, but because of the Rebels animated series.  Otherwise how long would it have been?  I totally agree with @redcellthat the Walmart clearance is looking like a good bellweather for sets that are not in TLG's long-term future.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

With a new star wars movie each year and other sources of material (Rebels & Freemaker Adventures) there will be constant need to go out with the old and come in with the new.  Each wave is only going to have room for so many sets in each price range and if you are going from 6 movies to 12, with sets having a particular focus on that year's movie, vehicles and scenes from the OT are going to see bigger gaps before they are revisited.  This vehicle is iconic to ROTJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of it for at least 5 years, just because they have to get other vehicles and scenes into the rotation.  We are seeing an A-wing and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter this year, not because of the OT, but because of the Rebels animated series.  Otherwise how long would it have been?  I totally agree with @redcellthat the Walmart clearance is looking like a good bellweather for sets that are not in TLG's long-term future.

I am in the process of editing a Blog article about this phenomenon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jules_K said:

This set has become unavailable everywhere in Australia, only place to purchase it now is Lego SAH.

How are people finding availability in other parts of the world? Could this one make a mid-year exit?

On sale and in stock most places in the UK. I picked up 3 last week in a 3 for 2 deal.

This set has become unavailable everywhere in Australia, only place to purchase it now is Lego SAH.

How are people finding availability in other parts of the world? Could this one make a mid-year exit?

My guess is this one makes an exit sometime in the fall to make room for the new Rogue One sets. Never know though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a set I love (well I love the in universe ship, ROTJ and that automatically means the set would have to have to be darn awful for me not to be high on it).  Even if this hangs around till the end of 2016 I think it will do well.  Space ship for one, some good figs (ok maybe not the most desirable) and for those who missed on IS (10212) this is going to be seen as a great alternative.  Been on sale pretty much since the end of '15 here in the UK (@ 20% off).  
I think its unfortunate that such a good model came out during TFA time when all the hype/interest is going to be on those sets.  I'm not saying this will be a sleeper but i think its going to be one that when it goes a lot of people will then decide that they want it.

Little OT, nothing to do with investments, but wondering if anyone has the republic attack shuttle (8019) who can comment on the size diff vs ST & and also which is more aesthetically pleasing?  I've got 2 display spots left in the pad and thinking one is going to be a toss up ST and 8019.

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Tesco Direct, Very and argos all do 3 for 2 deals at certain times of the year. The most recent being Tesco who had Tydiriums priced at £63 each plis 3 for 2 so worked out at £43 each.

Do you know if you can use Tesco club card boost with Lego purchases? It's around about now that the vouchers will come into effect.