75920 - Raptor Escape

Jeff Mack

I am not a quick flipper because of lack of time, but when an opportunity arises, I tell people about it. This could be an excellent opportunity to make money or a big nothing, but even if this set comes back into stock, this theme is gone in a year so what is the downside? LEGO is throwing out some bones here and people should pay attention. It's not over yet. This new STAR WARS movie is going to create

chaos

like you have never seen.

There is that word again...

chaos.jpg

• Like 1

This new STAR WARS movie is going to create chaos like you have never seen.

While I think the new Star Wars film will be a hit, it won't be like 1999 all over again.  The Prequels have soured a lot of people on Star Wars.  The nostalgic nods to the original films will help, but I don't see it doing Jurassic World numbers.

I am not a quick flipper because of lack of time, but when an opportunity arises, I tell people about it. This could be an excellent opportunity to make money or a big nothing, but even if this set comes back into stock, this theme is gone in a year so what is the downside? LEGO is throwing out some bones here and people should pay attention. It's not over yet. This new STAR WARS movie is going to create chaos like you have never seen.

Ed is tossing his wisdom out here.  Basically an opportunity has presented itself.  For newbies like myself I was too slow to react in a big metropolitan area like LA and all he dinos are gone locally, but if you live in an area that has them then the opportunity is there.  This is like betting on a number on the craps table instead of betting on pass - it's a riskier proposition (compared to the established pattern of modulars and Star Wars UCS sets) but the timing before Xmas seems to indicate a chance for some real gains.  Worst case scenario is you sit on a bunch of merchandise bought at RRP for 2 years and make some modest gains - not that far off from owning 500 Fire bikes or some stagnant sets.

For people like me who have limited time because of family/job flipping doesn't seem worth it from a time valuation perspective.  For those who can commit to it they're basically able to compound their assets and leverage for the next set of EOLs as Ed mentioned.  Time is precious to me so I can't really take advantage of this, but for those who can good luck and may the forc.....err dino stomp be with you.

I think the dinos will be back before Xmas unless Lego is banking on better SW margins than JW, but if they're not then those holding Raptors will be laughing to the bank with $40 sets selling for $100+.

I thought the going rate for a SQFLL was about $50? Where's Trek when you need him... I can't remember.

What does the s of sqfll stand for?

S standards for Super QFLL.

For instance recently I bought a set, heck I do not even remember what it was, 3-4 copies at Walmart, listed it while standing there with the Amazon app, and had sold 2 of the 4 before I got home with the goal of having them gone that day.

The margin level for SQFLL actually goes much lower than $50 but it depends.  There is a term I picked up from some friends it is called Velocity.  My margin level depends on the difficulty of the product to pack and ship and the velocity that I can move it out.  If I could sell and ship 25 of a small sized set in 24-48 hours at $5 a piece would I take it ? Sure but to me this game is fun and my hobby

I am not a quick flipper because of lack of time, but when an opportunity arises, I tell people about it. This could be an excellent opportunity to make money or a big nothing, but even if this set comes back into stock, this theme is gone in a year so what is the downside? LEGO is throwing out some bones here and people should pay attention. It's not over yet. This new STAR WARS movie is going to create chaos like you have never seen.

Heh, this place is going to change so much once the QF mindset takes a permanent residency.  And most of you thought I was kidding about the dark side :devil:

So if I buy PS and it retires tomorrow and I sell it am I a QF. Isn't the goal to spend as little money and sell it in the shortest time possible. If someone bought Death Star 7 years ago at $400 And I just bought one yesterday at $400 And we both sell it tomorrow don't I get same amount of profit as them. You don't get extra bonus points for length of ownership. Don't buy Raptor Escape today for 40 and sell tomorrow for 75.  You will make money!!!!! Oh no!!

• Like 1

Cory,

there are so many ways of making and losing money at Lego investing.  If you buy a PS or RE tomorrow and it retires, you are either lucky or smart or some combo of each.  I agree about your length of ownership comment.  

The only thing I would disagree on is if you could have bought those 10188s years ago at $320 or lower if you had the space. Yeah, it's a long time to hold and the opportunity cost if high  however, the competitive advantage when you sell against the masses are great.  

The Raptor Escape set will be an interesting one to watch considering it's probably the most undervalued JW set so far for the $39.99 retail.  If the Zombies set gave you more bang for the buck. It,s not like 75920 is the only JW set that contains Raptors :( 

All,

In my mind, a LLQF if someone who selfishly buys pretty much all of a specific toy at retail in as many stores as possible so grandmom can't buy little Johnny or Sally that toy.  

I think a combo of unselfish flipping and  long-term holds are the ways to go.  E.g., I flipped a modest amount of Exo-Suits w/in 2 weeks of the release and rolled that money into more Exo sets 5 months later.  I also held onto a nice amount of $107 B-Wing 10227s for 20 months and unloaded them for Town Halls and Haunted Houses.   Other sets like my MISB Harry Potter and other certain sets are very long-term holds because I trust their growth even at 3+ years after retirement than newer sets.

As many of the mods, veterans and myself state here, you must adapt to survive in this biz.  I just like to leave a couple of sets on the shelves for the kids.

So if I buy PS and it retires tomorrow and I sell it am I a QF. Isn't the goal to spend as little money and sell it in the shortest time possible. If someone bought Death Star 7 years ago at $400 And I just bought one yesterday at $400 And we both sell it tomorrow don't I get same amount of profit as them. You don't get extra bonus points for length of ownership. Don't buy Raptor Escape today for 40 and sell tomorrow for 75.  You will make money!!!!! Oh no!!

Heh, this place is going to change so much once the QF mindset takes a permanent residency.  And most of you thought I was kidding about the dark side :devil:

S standards for Super QFLL.

For instance recently I bought a set, heck I do not even remember what it was, 3-4 copies at Walmart, listed it while standing there with the Amazon app, and had sold 2 of the 4 before I got home with the goal of having them gone that day.

The margin level for SQFLL actually goes much lower than $50 but it depends.  There is a term I picked up from some friends it is called Velocity.  My margin level depends on the difficulty of the product to pack and ship and the velocity that I can move it out.  If I could sell and ship 25 of a small sized set in 24-48 hours at $5 a piece would I take it ? Sure but to me this game is fun and my hobby

I was just teasing you about the R2s you flipped.. ;)

The thing about velocity is that unless it's the means to support yourself, your personal time is what it takes to support that velocity. I just simply don't have the time to do that much shopping, packing and shipping (Canada Post won't do at-your-door pickups unless you are extremely high volume). I know folks get it down to a science, but visiting the three TRUs and four Walmarts I have reasonable access to would take about 4 hours round trip. I never have that much time during the week or on the weekend with the kids activities. And no, I'm not taking them with me. That just costs me more than I'd ever make!

Heh, this place is going to change so much once the QF mindset takes a permanent residency.  And most of you thought I was kidding about the dark side

That mindset has been alive and well around here for at least as long as I've been a member, things will really get crazy when Ed sells a set.

• Like 3

While I think the new Star Wars film will be a hit, it won't be like 1999 all over again.  The Prequels have soured a lot of people on Star Wars.  The nostalgic nods to the original films will help, but I don't see it doing Jurassic World numbers.

You're right, the numbers will be higher than JW. Don't underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Like 1

You're right, the numbers will be higher than JW. Don't underestimate the power of the dark side!

I think the Star Wars box office numbers have a chance to raise Disney stock 20% single handedly.

I love Jurassic Park and Jurassic World but this movie will be awesome in terms of financials.  You also have to factor in the 10 years since Episode III the International market for movies and product has grown exponentially.

I am not a glass half full I am I have 8 glasses and they are all full and we have a water truck currently unloading.

But that is me and I could be highly disappointed. I'm with me.  LOL

I think the word is "epic"! What has a bigger following than Star Wars? I wouldn't even say Star Trek (sorry trekgate).

Keep in mind that almost anyone that is under the age of 15 has never really seen a Star Wars movie on the bigscreen (they'd have been 4 when E3 came out).  Since then, Star Wars has popular TV shows, tons of clothes (how many Star Wars T-shirts did you see 15 years ago?  Probably none -- today you honestly can't go out in public and NOT see one), tons of new toy lines, them park attractions, etc.  Star Wars is exponentially more popular today than it was when the Pre-quels were released.  Kids weren't as amped to see Star Wars back in 2000...well at least not like today.  I imagine every ticket will be sold on opening weekend...so that's what the movie will gross.

• Like 2

Just something to think about for the "rarity" of this set.   Just in the last 3 days or so at least a half dozen members who have posted have found 10-25 of them.   Compare that to the arctic supply plane which very few people found any and those that did might of found 5-10.  Things that go away quietly without notice like ASP are the ones that tend to do the 3x, 4x in value.  While searching for these the better Raptor set has been the one that sold most with most of members on here buying up RE because of it being WM exclusive.  I would bet that for 25 RE that you find at WM you might find 5-10 RR.  Better build, better figs, better dino characters as far as movie relation and probably what kids truly want for that reasono.  This was a cheaper set with more pieces which WM usually likes for there exclusives to offer value to customers.  Unfortunately it really isn't that great of a set other than the fact it appears shorter availability as you could only get it and LEGO, LL, LLDC and WM.  If the set were to be done and not restocked for whatever reason and RR was available then there is not a lot of value compared to RR as parents will just buy that set if this one gets to high.  Most of the JW line has been fueled by kids which is what is was designed for.  Sure you'll have a few set completionists (here's looking at a certain fellow member who loves JP/JW) but it really has nothing special to offer than the lesser raptors and lesser figs and a weirdly constructed dino pen.

• Like 1

Price on RE on amazon just went up another 2.00 in the last hour.  Ebay prices are also starting to rise, and this is now hitting 77.00 plus shipping on amazon.  Only one reseller added today at RE.   2 days ago it was in the low 60's and had roughly 5 more resellers. 

I know I had to travel to what many urbanites call the "sticks" to land most of them, and I live in the rural south.  When I lived in the rural west, it was similar.  You could always get things, most other people could not in the cities, mostly because not everyone in the rural areas are as clued in.  Kids in LA, Chicago, NY, and many of the major markets more than likely won't have the stock around them, because those areas tend to be the first sacked quickly.