Chicagoland Area Forum

comicblast

It's been about 10 years since I lived in that part of town, so the memory about restaurants around there is a little hazy...

For breakfast, Ann Sather is awesome - the cinammon rolls and Eggs Benedict (they have about 5-6 different kinds) are both great.  Their waffles are killer, too.

For dinner, if you don't mind a short cab ride (10 minutes at the most) head to Tango Sur, an Argentine steak house that's really good. 

I used to live in Wicker Park, and there are hundreds of great restaurants there.  You're probably looking at about a 15 minute cab ride to the heart of Bucktown/WP (North/Damen/Milwaukee intersection).

If you don't mind going downtown, try The Girl and the Goat - the new restaurant from Stephanie Izard, Top Chef winner.  I went with my wife a few weeks ago and it's phenomenal.  You can't go wrong with Rick Bayless' restaurants (Frontera Grill, Topolobambo or Xoco) either.

If those don't suit your fancy or are too far out, check this website out:

http://checkplease.wttw.com/

It is the website for a Public TV show that reviews local restaurants.  It's excellent for finding great, off-the-beaten path restaurants in any part of Chicago and its suburbs. 

Have fun in Chicago!

• Like 1

Wow, interesting timing.  I am traveling to Chicago on Friday and going to Wrigley Field Saturday night.  I think we're staying at the Majestic.

We won't have a car...any tips on restaurants/bars?

In the middle of Greektown, there is an amazing restaurant called "The Parthenon". It has pretty Greek food, but all of it is amazing. I ordered a dish that I can remember the name of, but a waiter came by with a platter of cheese <appetizer> then set it down in front of me, held my shoulder, then set the cheese on fire. It was awesome!!

I'm in the Elgin/Algonquin area. Not much going on. Picked up Mines of Moria at Target for $56.00. I know it might go lower but I liked the price. 

Stopped by the LEGO store at the Woodfield mall, and they still have 7-8 boxes of the Orc Forge. 

TRU close to the mall have a ton of SW 2012 calendars. With the 30% clearance it comes down to $21 before tax. Haven't gotten any yet though.

Still new to this but like that we have this local thread about the Chicago area.

I'm in the Elgin/Algonquin area. Not much going on. Picked up Mines of Moria at Target for $56.00. I know it might go lower but I liked the price. 

Stopped by the LEGO store at the Woodfield mall, and they still have 7-8 boxes of the Orc Forge. 

TRU close to the mall have a ton of SW 2012 calendars. With the 30% clearance it comes down to $21 before tax. Haven't gotten any yet though.

Still new to this but like that we have this local thread about the Chicago area.

Welcome, fellow Illinoisian! Those are some great finds you got there! The price for the Mines is fairly decent, but I decided to wait it out a little to get slightly cheaper. I'm right in the heart of Chicago.

Thanks for the heads up, realdane, and welcome to Brickpicker!  I'm not seeing any discounts beyond the previously posted in the Western Suburbs (Hodgkins, Downers Grove, etc.).   Keep an eye peeled, though.  Target may be waiting for later in the month to bring the bigger discounts.  Or, maybe they'll keep them as is until they sell out - who knows...

Roosevelt Street Target in Chicago:

3939 Mia's Bedroom $6.92

9461 The Swamp Creature $5.94

6231 $24.48

9464 The Vampyre Hearse $29.74

9473 MoM $55

6869 Quinjet Aerial Battle $59.48

79001 Escape from Mirkwood Spiders $25.48

44005 $11.04

44000 $13.98

70705 $55.98

9464 The Werewolf $16.98

Minotaur game $14.38

Hi all - have any of you checked out Craigslist for local deals. There are some crazy cheap prices on the cafe corner and the millenium falcon the last week and over the last few months on those and the Taj Mahal. I'm thinking they're all scams especially since they appear available for some time and then reappear. Anyone ever try to buy those? And if so, what happened?

Hi all - have any of you checked out Craigslist for local deals. There are some crazy cheap prices on the cafe corner and the millenium falcon the last week and over the last few months on those and the Taj Mahal. I'm thinking they're all scams especially since they appear available for some time and then reappear. Anyone ever try to buy those? And if so, what happened?

I've messaged all of them before with no response

Saw me first 30% off Vampyre Castle today at Target. Am I gullible to wait for a steeper discount? There are 3 that haven't moved for months. Also Mines of Moria is 30%, as usual. There were also some Friends equivalents of CM's on the end caps of the LEGO Friends aisle, but they weren't on clearance. Anyone else go clearance searching?

EDIT: Was searching Craigslist and came across a 10227 B-Wing for $130 if anyone is interested. Not as great as May the Fourth, but still pretty good, and better than Amazon. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/3948192153.html

Also there's a lot of 16 pounds of Bionicle, for $80. I'm not really interested, as it would take me forever to sort, but if anyone is familiar with the theme, I think $5 per pound is pretty good, as it seems that there are a bunch of complete sets. http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tag/3947968695.html

It's been about 10 years since I lived in that part of town, so the memory about restaurants around there is a little hazy...

For breakfast, Ann Sather is awesome - the cinammon rolls and Eggs Benedict (they have about 5-6 different kinds) are both great.  Their waffles are killer, too.

We did end up hitting Ann Sather, very delicious and they give you a ton of food.  We met the owner, he saw our baseball jerseys, and he talked about being an alderman fighting the Wrigley Field attempts to put up a huge screen that blocks the roof tops.

We watched the game last Saturday on a roof top and it was a great experience.  We also did the "Taste of Chicago" earlier that day. 

We did end up hitting Ann Sather, very delicious and they give you a ton of food.  We met the owner, he saw our baseball jerseys, and he talked about being an alderman fighting the Wrigley Field attempts to put up a huge screen that blocks the roof tops.

We watched the game last Saturday on a roof top and it was a great experience.  We also did the "Taste of Chicago" earlier that day.

Really glad you had a great time. You chose wisely with Ann Sather - hopefully you tried the Cinnamon Rolls!

• Like 1

Went to my local Walmart tonight (Algonquin) and they had nothing on clearance! They had 10 boxes of Attack on Weathertop, 1 Gandalf Arrives, Spongebob, Lone Ranger, and everything was regular price. Is it cause I'm so close to Chicago? Are all the great deals I see people posting ($40 MoM, $70 HD etc.) from little rural Walmarts and Targets? 

kind of surprised no one else tried to make an offer on this...http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tag/3953918021.html (I picked it up for $70 this morning!)

How did I miss that one? Nice score, Brandon. I've been monitoring CL, but the best thing I came across was a lot of Bionicle [something like $50 for a large bin], but I'm not so much a Bionicle guy. :P

How did I miss that one? Nice score, Brandon. I've been monitoring CL, but the best thing I came across was a lot of Bionicle [something like $50 for a large bin], but I'm not so much a Bionicle guy. :P

There were some GREAT deals in aurora that I was too late on...like complete $20-30 sets used that one could flip for $100. I'd bought a bunch of star wars sets from the same lady a few months ago but was too slow this time. If you search wisconsin there's also one huge $500 lot that comes with about $560 of trains and lots of other stuff...but its in WI and $500. and yeah bionicles suck unless they are complete and you want to play with them (which I used to love doing)