Chicagoland Area Forum

comicblast

The Orland Park Target had some Lego clocks on the clearance part of the shelves, but the only thing worthy of purchase I found on a clearance aisle by the sport shirts that were on clearance.  I was going to try Walmart, but I am shopped out.  I went to Orland Mall for the first time in 3 years yesterday.  It's funny how little I shop since I've gotten married.  I don't think my wife will make a vigilant effort at looking for Lego deals, so I will have to venture out once in a while.  I wonder if our Costco carries any Lego items.  And I fear going into the Toys R Us in Orland.  That place is very depressing and super over priced. 

Just got back from Orland Park Walmart, and it was a mess!  I guess going in the morning is a bad time to find stuff.

They had 75% of the Lego items pulled from the shelf and on random carts and in random stacks.

I asked an employee to help me find a few prices, since no prices were on any of the items and all tags were not placed yet.

Nothing in the aisle is on or going to clearance, according to the employee, and after checking Urak-Hai Army, Attack on Weathertop, Unexpected Gathering, and Jabba's Palace, he was right.  He did direct me to the clearance section in the west corner.

In the clearance section, they had 1 Lego game, but the box was taped up and in bad shape.  I didn't even check the price.

There are tons of Megablocks, Thundercats, and some weird card/figure game items on clearance, but I just left out to go get breakfast with my son.  I will go back later this week to see if anything is on the shelf at a good price.

Has anyone checked the local Marshalls for Lego items?  I bought some Thomas stuff there before, but I don't remember a Lego section.

Went to Country Club Hills Walmart this evening, after dinner.  It was quite an adventure.  First, the clearance Lego items are either on the the clearance shelf, the Lego shelves, or anywhere in the store where you might gander a look.  I found in the clearance aisle: Lego watches and some weird Lego Ipad app and blocks.  I forget what the name was, but it was selling for 20.00 and on Amazon for 19, so I kept searching.  

In the Lego aisle I found nothing on clearance.  In other aisles, I found Gandalfs return $9.00, a few super hero sets discounted $10.00, and a Lego Mine discounted $5.00.  

This store is a mess. It looks like they just put Lego and everything else in a section that is closest to where they found it.  I was hoping to find at least 1 thing, but the Gandolf's thing was the best price, and I did not want to bother standing in line to buy it for a $5.00 profit.  

I can see where someone might get lucky in this store finding something in the fishing or even underwear department, but I did not want to venture that far.  It is not a hard store to get to, but after an hour of trying to find stuff, it was frustrating and mind-numbing.  I think I will go back after Christmas, to see what they have on clearance, but the store is a frakin maze of dislocated items and crap you don't want.

This past week, being my last week of summer vacation, I was able to visit several stores stocking up on school supplies for my kids and clothes. I have found the following, and I would like to know if anyone has any different experiences:

Khols:  No Lego blocks at all.  One had Lego alarm clocks, and the other 2 had nothing.  

TJMax:  Lego book game thing, but no Lego sets or blocks.  Lots of Mega blocks

Marshalls:  Same as TJ MAx

Sears:  No toy departments any more

Tuesday Morning (Orland Park)  Lots of Lego knockoffs like Megablocks and a few others I have not heard of.

Targets:  No real clearance aisle, but some clearance toys on the end caps.  I found 2 clearance sets, nothing more.

Walmarts:  Best luck here, but did not find any of the sets I was looking for on clearance.  Had Haunted House and Monster stuff.

Kmart: Some clearance in the toy aisles, but most were marked off $5 or less.

Costco:  No Lego items

These are my family's regular stores that I thought would carry Lego items and have clearance deals.  I know I only looked for 1 week, but if some of them have zero chance of clearance or even having Lego sets, let me know so I can mark it off my list, please.

Thanks,

This past week, being my last week of summer vacation, I was able to visit several stores stocking up on school supplies for my kids and clothes. I have found the following, and I would like to know if anyone has any different experiences:

Khols:  No Lego blocks at all.  One had Lego alarm clocks, and the other 2 had nothing.  

TJMax:  Lego book game thing, but no Lego sets or blocks.  Lots of Mega blocks

Marshalls:  Same as TJ MAx

Sears:  No toy departments any more

Tuesday Morning (Orland Park)  Lots of Lego knockoffs like Megablocks and a few others I have not heard of.

Targets:  No real clearance aisle, but some clearance toys on the end caps.  I found 2 clearance sets, nothing more.

Walmarts:  Best luck here, but did not find any of the sets I was looking for on clearance.  Had Haunted House and Monster stuff.

Kmart: Some clearance in the toy aisles, but most were marked off $5 or less.

Costco:  No Lego items

These are my family's regular stores that I thought would carry Lego items and have clearance deals.  I know I only looked for 1 week, but if some of them have zero chance of clearance or even having Lego sets, let me know so I can mark it off my list, please.

Thanks,

Segreto, I have very similar experiences to you at these stores.  TJ Maxx and Marshalls never have any Lego except the books.  Target and Walmart are really only good during their clearance sales, and even they're tough to get because people are so active in the area.  You're best bet is to go far out from the city.  I went to a Walmart in Oswego in April/May and found some really nice discounts on Monster Fighters (they are likely gone now).  I think the moral of the story is to check this site for an indication of their national clearance times, and then hit the outer villages for the clearances.

Segreto, I have very similar experiences to you at these stores.  TJ Maxx and Marshalls never have any Lego except the books.  Target and Walmart are really only good during their clearance sales, and even they're tough to get because people are so active in the area.  You're best bet is to go far out from the city.  I went to a Walmart in Oswego in April/May and found some really nice discounts on Monster Fighters (they are likely gone now).  I think the moral of the story is to check this site for an indication of their national clearance times, and then hit the outer villages for the clearances.

Thanks!  I am trying to get my routes organized, and this helps a lot.  Target and Walmart are the stores that I go to for home stuff, so cutting the others off my list will save me a lot of time.

Thanks!  I am trying to get my routes organized, and this helps a lot.  Target and Walmart are the stores that I go to for home stuff, so cutting the others off my list will save me a lot of time.

The only clarification I have to this is that someone on the board near the end of last year said Costco had a bunch of QARs near Christmas that he got for a song.  Mind you, this was one person that wasn't in Chicago, either.  Regardless, I would keep an eye peeled there around the holidays, especially if you frequent it.

The only clarification I have to this is that someone on the board near the end of last year said Costco had a bunch of QARs near Christmas that he got for a song.  Mind you, this was one person that wasn't in Chicago, either.  Regardless, I would keep an eye peeled there around the holidays, especially if you frequent it.

My wife did say the say about Costco. Thanks.  They only had 1 aisle of toys when I went recently, but I know closer to Christmas they have several.  

My wife also said that a yellow highlighter mark on the price means a clearance or at least a discounted item.

• 2 weeks later...

Orland Park Lego Store has LE Crawlers.  They received them today (about 30) and they said over half were already gone. 

Grab them if you can - limit 2 per household, including any purchased during the first wave of sales.

Schaumburg was out of them at noon (as brandon posted earlier, I think).

Orland Park Lego Store has LE Crawlers.  They received them today (about 30) and they said over half were already gone. 

Grab them if you can - limit 2 per household, including any purchased during the first wave of sales.

Schaumburg was out of them at noon (as brandon posted earlier, I think).

My wife picked up two on Monday.  Was pretty happy.  The clerk told her that this was definitely it for the production run.  One of my boxes has a weird crease and dent on the top.  Not too worried about it.  I wonder how much that would effect the selling price.  I plan on keeping them both for quite a bit of time.  I'd like to build one, too.

Wish i was closer, I've been wanting to get one of those to build

It had a dent in the box, but if you're building it...no biggie.  I stopped in KMart on Harlem in Tinley Park and they are having an extra 20% off clearance toys.  Most of the Lego sets on clearance are just 1 - 2 dollars off though.  I am going back to the Target where I got some great deals last week.  Have not tried Walmart in a few weeks.  Might do that too this Labor day.

• 3 weeks later...

All my area stores are dried up.  Kmart is offering $6.00 off one Hobbit set, and the rest of the sales are $1-$2  off.  Target stores had pretty much nothing.  $3.50 off a set, and they had nothing on clearance at two stores.  Walmart is still working on their shelves, and I think they are just waiting till Christmas to complete them.  They might have moved all their clearance to another store or in boxes int he back until the shelves are complete.    The Walmart in Country Club Hills is still a mess, but has 2 or three super hero sets on clearance, but nothing I was interested in and they only had 1 box of each. I guess now is the waiting game.

Segreto - if you have a KMart in your area, you may want to check it on Sunday for the vaunted 50% off clearance sales.  Nationally, they had these 50% discounts last year at this time and most have Lego on sale for 20% right now.  That 20% off stock may drop to 50% on Sunday...

• Like 1

Segreto - if you have a KMart in your area, you may want to check it on Sunday for the vaunted 50% off clearance sales.  Nationally, they had these 50% discounts last year at this time and most have Lego on sale for 20% right now.  That 20% off stock may drop to 50% on Sunday...

Thanks, that is helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just called OP Lego Store and Schaumburg Lego Store - OP said they don't have any more promotional WV sets left in stock, while Schaumburg said they had a couple of boxes of sets remaining.  If you are looking to take advantage of the Lego Store's free promotional set and x2 VIP points before the end of the month, Schaumburg is a better bet.

I just called OP Lego Store and Schaumburg Lego Store - OP said they don't have any more promotional WV sets left in stock, while Schaumburg said they had a couple of boxes of sets remaining.  If you are looking to take advantage of the Lego Store's free promotional set and x2 VIP points before the end of the month, Schaumburg is a better bet.

OP... Lemme think. Oak Park? If so, I didn't know that there was a LEGO Store there. Did you call the Watertower location?