Lego Storage

Apologies if this topic has been discussed previously or elsewhere. I'm starting out in brickvesting and I'm a bit unsure how one should store lego sets to best preserve the box? I live in a mediterannean climate so most of the year is quite dry, but it can be quite damp in June-August. So far I've wrapped sets in a thin plastic with a few sachets of silica in each. Those are then stored in larger boxes, which again have some silica inside. I'm not aiming at building a massive inventory as I'm based in South Africa and our AFOL base is still growing. At the moment I'm just acquiring 2-3 each of the big sets as they go EOL and I'll start selling in two years or so. Due to this I don't really need to have regular access to the sets, so I'm looking for the best medium-term storage solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Obviously a climate controlled area is best- also positioning oth the sets. Some of my first sets I had laying down with other sets on top- not a preferable way to store it as it did get a little damaged

Some of the guys on this forum also suggested lining your shelving with cardboard or storing the sets boxed to prevent damage from storage.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Any idea what is the name of the drawers in the following picture(right side)?

LEGO-Headquarters-Being-Built-in-Denmark

Off the top of my head I don't recall a specific name for these kinds of drawer cabinets.  I suspect they are probably from some office furniture company that sells to businesses.  I would also guess they could have originally been designed to hold large blueprints/engineering drawings and they adapted them for Lego pieces with dividers or shallow bins.

Hello Everyone,

Any idea what is the name of the drawers in the following picture(right side)?

Here we call 'em   "Map Cabinets" (flat/horizontal) mostly used for architectural drawings & of course map storage.  They are quite expensive new, but found in droves at the government Surplus auctions (especially since the current "government" of Canada has a severe hate on for any of the science departments & is basically scuttling all the research campuses)  you can usually get them for 2-3 hundred bucks each.   Just a warning, they're a real dog to move about due to their incredible weight!

Edited by Thumper

• 3 months later...

Apologies if I've missed this in the forums (I'm sure I have), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to store Lego boxes in the attic...ie not climate controlled. My "good" stuff is on a shelf as per recommendations here but I want to put some smaller sets away and forget about them for a few years.  My plan was in a heavy black garbage bag and then in a plastic storage tote.  Do I need to bubble wrap each box so they don't stick to each other?  Is an area that's probably going to top 100 in the summer just asking for ruined boxes?  Thanks for any advice!

15 minutes ago, Littlek9b said:

Apologies if I've missed this in the forums (I'm sure I have), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to store Lego boxes in the attic...ie not climate controlled. My "good" stuff is on a shelf as per recommendations here but I want to put some smaller sets away and forget about them for a few years.  My plan was in a heavy black garbage bag and then in a plastic storage tote.  Do I need to bubble wrap each box so they don't stick to each other?  Is an area that's probably going to top 100 in the summer just asking for ruined boxes?  Thanks for any advice!

I can tell you without a doubt that cardboard and elevated amounts of humidity and heat are NOT a good mix. Mold, mildew, warping and fading will occur if you leave anything in an attic for years.

IMO you should store them in decent thick cardboard boxes. Plastic doesnt let it breath at all. If the garage is well ventilated and you cover the boxes with sheets thats all you need. Tissue paper between each is fine just so they dont stick. just slide it between each dont tape it or anything. Seal outer box and your good. If you get the ones with tops that easily come off, what I use, makes it easy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy
25 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I'v decided to take the plunge and convert my garage into an office / occasional bedroom. I'm allowed 3 metres of bespoke Lego shelving not bad for a room that will be 2.1 metres x 5 metres). I'll post some progress photos over the next couple 2 or 3 weeks. Day one: batons, insulation and plasterboard. 

lego room 1.jpg

Will all the LEGO be added to your house contents insurance? I tried adding mine which was worth £30K at the time and it was just too expensive and not allowed in the deeds. A secure lock-up (with insurance) was cheaper! However, I'm lucky now that I have some free space in a secure warehouse about 8 miles away.

Is the garage heated? If not, you'll need some silica gell to stop any boxes getting damp when the seasons change.

Oh.... I see that you probably bought your Shimano-geared road bike from Wiggle ;-)

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Will all the LEGO be added to your house contents insurance? I tried adding mine which was worth £30K at the time and it was just too expensive and not allowed in the deeds. A secure lock-up (with insurance) was cheaper! However, I'm lucky now that I have some free space in a secure warehouse about 8 miles away.

Is the garage heated? If not, you'll need some silica gell to stop any boxes getting damp when the seasons change.

Oh.... I see that you probably bought your Shimano-geared road bike from Wiggle ;-)

not bad! but you wont probably be able to use the whole square footage since you need to access all boxes / shelves at all times (and not to pull out like a half of the garage out just to get access on the boxes at the rear end).

• 2 weeks later...

I've going to have some bespoke shelving fitted on Wednesday. This seems to be the best plan based on my current inventory (I tend to go for middle range sets, rather than big box stuff). The main issue I have is that the shelf depth is only 40cm (narrow room) so the large sets will have to be standing on the narrow side (like books) on the top shelf. I hope I can accommodate all but the the very biggest boxes and maximise the storage space, without more than 2 sets on top of each other. My tallest sets are 54cm long. 

I hope I have covered as many bases as possible. Can anyone see any flaws or oversights with these dimensions?

5a6d73a40eb5e_ShelvingPic.thumb.png.644eb1b02329c8af5b51d8402917c406.png

Edited by Villager Chris

Guest TabbyBoy
35 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I've going to have some bespoke shelving fitted on Wednesday. This seems to be the best plan based on my current inventory (I tend to go for middle range sets, rather than big box stuff). The main issue I have is that the shelf depth is only 40cm (narrow room) so the large sets will have to be standing on the narrow side (like books) on the top shelf. I hope I can accommodate all but the the very biggest boxes and maximise the storage space, without more than 2 sets on top of each other. My tallest sets are 54cm long. 

I hope I have covered as many bases as possible. Can anyone see any flaws or oversights with these dimensions?

5a6d73a40eb5e_ShelvingPic.thumb.png.644eb1b02329c8af5b51d8402917c406.png

Will there be enough room for storing them in factory boxes? Naked is OK, but wouldn't you need more protection for long-term sets? At least it's a great idea and more than what most people have. Looking forward to seeing the "after" photos.

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Will there be enough room for storing them in factory boxes? Naked is OK, but wouldn't you need more protection for long-term sets? At least it's a great idea and more than what most people have. Looking forward to seeing the "after" photos.

Got a couple of cm to play with although any factory boxes will be kept in Really Useful Boxes somewhere else. But I rarely buy in 3s. My aim is to keep sets for a maximum of 2 years after retirement, with a few exceptions. This shelving is more like 'for show', although this creates another problem from prying eyes as the window is close to the front door! Not sure yet how to solve this, without losing natural light or 'curtaining off' the sets.  

Its very nice . as for the design.. but still If I count correctly you got yourself like 40 cubicles (each to occupy arround 5-10 sets).. already has it filled like up to 90 % of the capacity.. and with some low-cost or mediocre sets.. 

have you asked yourself whether the funds put into this cabinet were worth it? For sure you had to pay at least 100-300 GBP for that wall - AND..pray the lord that you dont have a window in that room that would shed a light on the boxes - In a year or two they would bleach out (I learned it the hard way with my bookcase and paperbacks.. :(  )

Edited by crayxlp

4 hours ago, crayxlp said:

Its very nice . as for the design.. but still If I count correctly you got yourself like 40 cubicles (each to occupy arround 5-10 sets).. already has it filled like up to 90 % of the capacity.. and with some low-cost or mediocre sets.. 

have you asked yourself whether the funds put into this cabinet were worth it? For sure you had to pay at least 100-300 GBP for that wall - AND..pray the lord that you dont have a window in that room that would shed a light on the boxes - In a year or two they would bleach out (I learned it the hard way with my bookcase and paperbacks.. :(  )

Thanks. Like I said, it's not 100% ideal but like most things, I'm dictated by budget. Most of my inventory lies in-between the £30 and £60 range so the shelving is fine for this. I tend not to buy many sets over £100 as I worry about scammers. There is a window, but the blinds are closed most of the time to stop prying eyes. 

Very cool. You have to make do with the space you have. Good job!

Regarding light, crayxlp is right. I would black those windows out and also redirect your ceiling lights. They will, over not too long a time, cause fading to the areas of the boxes exposed. I learned this the hard way with some rare books. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...